+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: The Tudors

Re: The Tudors

In history Henry doesn't get anywhere near Anne's bodice (so unless they have really used artistic license there will be no bodice ripping this Sunday) The marriage is short but their aquaintance is long, Anne actually outlived Henry by a decade.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

well nexts week episode wasn't available on the video on demand today since it will be the season FINALE...this sucks big time...only 8 episodes for this season
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tfred;3431846;
    When are they going to have Henry gain that extra 150 pounds he carried around in real life. I hope that no one is watching this series for the historical accuracy!!!
    No wonder Anne of Cleves was turned off. Not to mention, the portraits I've seen made the real Henry look like a redhead. I'm so glad they didn't try to dye the actor's hair, much less fatten him up!

The way they portrayed Henry's attitude towards women made me really disrespect him. The way he kept wanting to see how hot his marriage prospects were, he might as well have been asking for a "joy book" a la Big Love. Yuck. He is just as stunted as the guys today who need "trophy wives."

Frankly I thought the person they cast as Anne of Cleves was equivalent in looks to most of the other women in the series. The one who played Anne Boleyn, for instance, was not particularly attractive, although she had a much more forceful/charismatic personality. And I never saw what they saw in the one who played Jane that caused them to cast her.

The perspective they are gong for did help me understand the psychology of Queen Elizabeth, however. After she witnessed all her dad's shenanigans, no wonder she never wanted to get married and share power with a man.
    Last edited by Harvest; 05-18-2009 at 03:38 PM.

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3454687;
    The perspective they are gong for did help me understand the psychology of Queen Elizabeth, however. After she witnessed all her dad's shenanigans, no wonder she never wanted to get married and share power with a man.
    Yes, although Mary, Elizabeth's older sister who was queen before her, certainly DID want to get married, and she tried to have children as well. They both witnessed their father's relationships with women -- and yet they each reacted totally differently in regard to their own choice about marriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Imperfect1;3456614;
    Yes, although Mary, Elizabeth's older sister who was queen before her, certainly DID want to get married, and she tried to have children as well. They both witnessed their father's relationships with women -- and yet they each reacted totally differently in regard to their own choice about marriage.
    They had different mothers, and "different" fathers, too, in their experience of him at formative times of their lives.

I loved Mary's dress on the last episode, the soft aqua one with the embroidery. I like the actress who plays her, too.

I havent' seen anyone talking about the season finale yet...I saw it and it was Okay..but i wasn't too impressed with it...but since its moving along in the series...I guess this is getting to the part where Henry gets "boring"..lol..and/or turns into some kinda crazy nut

Cromwell's beheading was the season finale? I'm so disappointed. I actually can't wait for Catherine Howard to lose her little head, the girl's simpering giggles were driving me batty. Henry is kinda boring now, he's supposed to be in his 40's at this stage.

Ugh the little 'surprise' Sir Francis planned for Cromwell was just disgusting. Thomas Seymour is just as bad as he is. Odd to see how Brandon's Catherine is so disappointed in his actions and how it's affecting him.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3454687;
    No wonder Anne of Cleves was turned off. Not to mention, the portraits I've seen made the real Henry look like a redhead. I'm so glad they didn't try to dye the actor's hair, much less fatten him up!

The way they portrayed Henry's attitude towards women made me really disrespect him. The way he kept wanting to see how hot his marriage prospects were, he might as well have been asking for a "joy book" a la Big Love. Yuck. He is just as stunted as the guys today who need "trophy wives."
    This was the 1500's. Women were seen as chattel then and everyone knew it. And while Henry, who in his younger days was a redhead and quite handsome, did indeed like a pretty face, he was much more concerned with both the political alliances his marriages would bring and, more importantly, with a wife who would give him a male heir.

Not all that different in today's royal family. Even Diana produced the expected "an heir and a spare" in William and Harry.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Regular

Also re: Anne of Cleves, contemporary portraits of her show a rather dumpy unattractive "wench" Henry was supposedly tricked into thinking she was beautiful and that her Brother would take Henry's side in a battle between England and France and the Holy Roman Empire. He couldn't kill her so he bribed her into getting their marriage annulled.

Quote Originally Posted by tfred;3477057;
    Also re: Anne of Cleves, contemporary portraits of her show a rather dumpy unattractive "wench" Henry was supposedly tricked into thinking she was beautiful and that her Brother would take Henry's side in a battle between England and France and the Holy Roman Empire. He couldn't kill her so he bribed her into getting their marriage annulled.
    she sure made out better than any of Henry's other wives..lol..she had a nice house, servants, money and could do as she pleased..

+ Reply to Thread