+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: The Tudors

Re: The Tudors

The Season Premiere turned out pretty good. Jonothan is sporting a mustache which helps age him a bit for the part. The costumes are spectacular and appear to be realistic -- I liked the wedding wardrobe. Interesting clip about the costumes before the show -- I have no way of telling the difference if the costumes are more modern -- wonder if they over embellish them to make them more attractive to the current day observer. It is amazing what they were able to accomplish with fabrics, design and sewing the elaborate dresses hundreds of years ago.

Very interesting children's poem Harvest, thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;3404387;
    The stuff they had before the season premier included comments from the wardrobe lady, who basically said they had to update the fashions to make it relevant to modern times. I think they overdid it, and this series will eventually seem as dated as the historical costume movies of the 30s or 60s that remind us more of the decade they were produced in than the time they are supposed to be about. But for now, it's great!

I remember this poem from a Victorian children's book:

Henry VIII to six wives was wedded:
    One died, one survived, two divorced, two beheaded.

If that's true, none were hanged.

Actually, see: Wives of Henry VIII - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    the way i was taught to remember it in my college history class was

divorced..beheaded...died...di vorced...beheaded..survivied.. lol

now that the first episode is out I feel i can give my opinion..I thought it was great and if the show is portraying history correctly about Jane ..her kindness and trying to reunite the king with Mary and Elizabeth i really think its a shame she died so young...I think if she had lived it might not have become the tyrant he became later on in his life
    SAVE THE WHALES..THE OCEANS DIE..WE DIE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;3405182;
    the way i was taught to remember it in my college history class was

divorced..beheaded...died...di vorced...beheaded..survivied.. lol

now that the first episode is out I feel i can give my opinion..I thought it was great and if the show is portraying history correctly about Jane ..her kindness and trying to reunite the king with Mary and Elizabeth i really think its a shame she died so young...I think if she had lived it might not have become the tyrant he became later on in his life
    Was Jane considered his "true love" in life? I know she was a kinder person, than Ann Boelyn, but Henry seemed like he was in love with her before he got bored with her. It hard to know what he was interested in unless he was a male heir to the throne.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniDiva;3405200;
    Was Jane considered his "true love" in life? I know she was a kinder person, than Ann Boelyn, but Henry seemed like he was in love with her before he got bored with her. It hard to know what he was interested in unless he was a male heir to the throne.
    many have speculated that she was his one "true love" and thats why he waited 2 years before he even bothered to get married again after she died...but from the history I have read it didn't stop him from having sex with anyone and everyone..i know she is the only wife that is buried with him but i don't know if that is from love or that she is the only one that provided him with a living son

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

I think it is a bit of both.. he felt that she was hit first 'true' wife because of his son that she gave him.. she was only married toh im for 2 years.. not evern.. i think he never had time to grow tired of her.

He is buried next to her at his request.. even after other wives.
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

Just read that The Tudors has been picked up for its fourth and final season..they said this would wrap up the story of Henry VIII..gonna miss JRM..gezzz that guy is hot...but that they were glad that they had named the show "The Tudors" cause it gave them room to tell the stories of Henry's father...or Edward or Mary but that they felt Elizabeth had been done to death..lol

episode 4 is out today for those that have the video on demand services..watch it with a box of tissues...one of the best episodes of the series

I Bleed Scarlet And Gray FireWoman's Avatar

and here i was going to watch while i folded laundry.. i may rethink that lol
    "Irregardless? That's not even a real word. You're affixing the negative prefix 'ir-' to 'regardless', but, as 'regardless' is already negative, it's a logical absurdity!" ~Steve Smith

"Once I swore I would die for you, But I never meant it like this."

This is going to drive me nuts not being able to watch it until it either comes on CBC or out on DVD. I don't want to hunt it down online becuase I want to be comfy on my couch with a big screen watching it.

Quote Originally Posted by ButterflyFaery;3418030;
    episode 4 is out today for those that have the video on demand services..watch it with a box of tissues...one of the best episodes of the series
    I must be heartless.. no tissues needed. I thought maybe they fast forwarded and Jane had died already. I guess because I'm familliar with the chronology of Henry's reign that it wasn't any surprise to me, although... the red hot poker up the arse was sphincter clenching.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread