+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 30 Rock

30 Rock

Did anyone watch this? (premiered last night, Wednesday 10/11).

It has Tina Fey, Alec Baldwin and Tracy Morgan. I was looking forward to it because I like Tracy Morgan. I found it completely horrible. I will probably give it one more chance just to see if the badness is consistent. Maybe I was expecting something really funny with it having Tracy Morgan in it, I don't know.

What did anyone else think?
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

I watched it and wasn't very impressed. I'll give it a few episodes to see how it plays out.
    You got to cry without weeping. Talk without speaking. Scream without raising your voice.- U2

Karl RoBe.

Hee.

Otherwise? Very mixed. Baldwin as bombastic is always funny. Dueling Jay Lenos is always funny. But a lot of other stuff fell short. For example, why have a comedic genius like Jane Krakowski in the show and then hardly use her (her name isn't even mentioned in the promo spots)?

And what's the deal with the misleading footage we saw released on this show a few months ago. The EXACT scene we saw with the hemorrhoid cream featured Rachel Dratch instead of Krakowski in the preview footage we saw on NBC.com a few months back. Now Dratch is a cat trainer instead of on the "show within the show" and Krakowski's got the hemorrhoid line (which despite my general appreciation of Krakowski is a line more suited to Dratch's style of comedy).

Tina Fey does the "put on woman" stuff okay, but its gonna get old seeing scene after scene where Baldwin does something over the top, Fey rolls her eyes, Baldwin bombasts more, and then Fey puts on her "I'm smarter than you" face.

Tracy Morgan was the most wasted. Sure there were some good moments, like the "Karl Robe" one, him holding court at the Kennedy Fried Chicken, and the "I am a Jedi" stuff, but he's leaning a bit too far towards "crude ghetto idiot" in his portrayal. We need a bit more "Brian Fellows" (or even better "Astronaut Jones"), where the idiocy at least has some sweetness to it.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

The first show was uneven as hell, but had some funny moments. Enough that I'll give it at least one more shot.

FORT Fogey
    I thought it was hilarious. But most of what I found hilarious were jokes mocking NBC (things like a guy inventing an oven, so he's put in charge of programming). I have a couple of friends who used to work for NBC, so through their experiences, I found that stuff funny. But I was thinking as I was laughing that most of it wouldn't be considered funny by most of the audience.

I think that the tone of this show would work on HBO or Showtime. But it just doesn't feel right for broadcast TV. There aren't really any characters who you're really rooting for or relating to. The situation is funny, but I don't think that's enough to compell people to come back every week.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    I thought it was hilarious. But most of what I found hilarious were jokes mocking NBC (things like a guy inventing an oven, so he's put in charge of programming).
    When I saw the GE commercials for convection ovens, I had no idea if those were real commercials or part of the show.

And what's the deal with the misleading footage we saw released on this show a few months ago. The EXACT scene we saw with the hemorrhoid cream featured Rachel Dratch instead of Krakowski in the preview footage we saw on NBC.com a few months back. Now Dratch is a cat trainer instead of on the "show within the show" and Krakowski's got the hemorrhoid line (which despite my general appreciation of Krakowski is a line more suited to Dratch's style of comedy).
    Krom, Rachel Dratch originally was cast in that role (the Krakowski role). I'm guessing they did tests or something to see audience reaction and then she ended up getting demoted to a guest player (who'll play different roles each time) and Krakowski was hired for the co-starring role.

I had really high expectations for this show and thought it would be much better than it was. I love Tina Fey and Tracy Morgan, so I'm hoping that the next few episodes are stronger and more worth watching. It felt longer than a 30-minute show to me.

I love Alec Baldwin in this show - and when he guest-hosted SNL recently.

30 Rock

OK, so I searched and within the first 2 pages I couldn't find the 30 Rock thread, so I made one. If there is one already, this will be closed and hopefully I'll find it. Anyways...30 Rock is a show in NBC in its 1st season. Starring Tina Fey, Tracy Morgan, and Alec Baldwin, the show is heck of funny. It revolves around the working in the 30 Rockefeller Building. It's main character is Liz Lemon (Tina Fey), the main writer of the show TGS (The Girlie Show). New boss, Jack Donaghy (Alec Baldwin) creates genius comic moments. The show is just great. Sorry again if there is already a thread dedicated to it!

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    I'm pretty sure there was one, but you'd have to go back a ways.

Quite a ways back indeed! http://www.fansofrealitytv.com/forum...7-30-rock.html

Unfortunately, it hasn't seemed to have had a lot of discussion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast