+ Reply to Thread

Thread: James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano)

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano)

Character profile from HBO.com

"I'm the motherfucking fucking one who calls the shots."

While that statement may be of questionable taste, its accuracy is indisputable. He tells the IRS that he's in the waste management business, but Anthony Soprano is the acting boss of the DiMeo family, the most powerful criminal organization in New Jersey. A second generation wise guy, Tony is the son of the late Johnny Boy Soprano, a DiMeo capo who brought his boy into his profession and showed him the ropes. After Johnny's death, Tony was mentored by his old man's closest associates, Hesh Rabkin, Jackie Aprile, and Pussy Bompensiero, as well as Johnny's older brother, Corrado "Junior" Soprano.

Tony was born in 1959 and grew up in Newark and West Orange, New Jersey. Violence was a standard component of his childhood: he once witnessed his dad and uncle chase down and viciously beat a guy for being late with a numbers payment; another time he watched Johnny Boy amputate a debtor's finger with a meat cleaver. Johnny Boy utilized his fists at home, too; although he never struck his two daughters, when Tony transgressed his father would send him flying. Tony's mother, Livia, dealt emotional beatings; depressive and paranoid, she was incapable of affection - she once threatened to plunge a fork into his eye - and constantly told Tony he'd never amount to anything. But the coup de grace came years later when Tony put her into a nursing home, she conspired with Junior to have him killed.

As the head of his professional and personal families, Tony, to put it mildly, has his hands full. At work, he finds that the perks of being the boss come at a high price: when Pussy, whom he loved like a brother, turned out to be a government informant, Tony was forced to kill him; when Jackie Aprile's son ran afoul of the organization, Tony had no choice but to sanction his death as well. At home, his marriage is severely strained by his inability to remain faithful to his wife, Carmela. His college student daughter, Meadow, thinks he's a hypocrite and will barely speak to him. His son, Anthony, Jr., is a mentally and physically undisciplined high school student; Tony has serious doubts the boy could succeed in his profession - or any other.

It should come as no surprise, then, that Tony needs professional - as in medical - help; he's been seeing psychiatrist Dr. Jennifer Melfi for over three years. Despite the raised eyebrows among his business associates, Tony seeks treatment for debilitating anxiety attacks that are just like the ones suffered by his father and now his son. According to Melfi, the anxiety is rooted in Tony's anger, grief and guilt, and odds are it won't be going away anytime soon.
    Last edited by BravoFan; 09-28-2002 at 07:34 PM.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

What did you make of the end of last night's episode?

Was that supposed to just mean that Tony is more compassionate than Ralph (which he probably is) or was it supposed to be deeper -- like Tony does better with non humans?
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)

LG.
    It reminded me of the first season episode where Tony was so fascinated by the geese (or were they ducks) in his swimming pool, he walked into the pool in his bathrobe and got all wet to see them up close, and still feeds them. Tony likes animals better than people, sort of like the assassin in A Fish Called Wanda (Ken, I think, played by Michael Pallin) who accidentally killed a lady's dogs instead of her and it made him distraught.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Hmmm, I've never seen that movie...I should rent it!

I love the little "hidden" messages at the end of the episodes (I don't think that's the right term for it, but can't think of it).

Like the episode where Tony was so concerned about his family being involved in the business and wanting them to have so much more, but at the end Tony and AJ were out on the boat and you could see really Tony subconsciously would like AJ to be the mini-Tony.

OMG

My daughter-in-law was at some kind of a fair last week and she saw James Gandolfini with his kids there. He was giving out autographs and shaking everyone's hand. She said he is very down to earth and pleasant and was very nice to the fans that were gathering around him as they recognized him! What a doll.

I've heard he's the anti-celebrity in most every way. He absolutely does not give interviews, and everyone on the set has said how James has made them really feel at home (practical jokes, and other fun stuff that peeves the director).

I think it's great to have celebrities like this to admire, when such a large portion of them are self-obsessed, ego-driven, "show me the money" crazies.

Yeah, I like that too John. I'm always happy when I see a "celebrity" that doesn't act like they are some sort of god.

+ Reply to Thread