+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life On Mars - BBC

Life On Mars - BBC

Homepage

Has anyone else seen this show? Personally I think it's great (not to mention the music as well). It's a British show, I have no idea if it's been on in the US (or a remake perhaps, I really hope not). But has anyone else seen it?

I have seen the first four episodes of the first series (8 in total), the second, and final, series is to begin in the UK about now. Anyone up for discussion about it?

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    I love Life on Mars. BBCAmerica has shown the first series. I thought that there was already a thread for it, but maybe not. there was a lot of discussion about it because there are plans for an U.S. version of the show. Personally, I think it's brilliant and can't understand the need for the U.S. version, but then again I lived in the U.K. and Europe from 1971-76, so I can relate to the settings and pop culture of the time. BBCA should have the second series in Feb or March I believe. Such a huge fan, can't wait.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

There's a general British Shows thread and I think we were discussing it in there.

I love this show too, and I've only been able to catch it on my cable's On Demand program (I don't get BBC America). We saw the whole first season, then it just disappeared. How many seasons have been filmed, does anyone know? I'm afraid to search it out because I assume the UK is ahead of us, and I don't want to read spoilers.

I can't believe they want to make an American version. It's just so great as a period piece just as it is.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

One season. The second is being made now and has not yet aired in the U.K.

An American version seems redundant. And frankly so few of them work. Even "The Office" probably wouldn't have if the casting and writing had been even a tiny bit different.

I also don't think an American version would have the discipline to leave most of the issues of the main character's transposition as a mystery.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Trailer for Series 2:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/a41...o-bbc-one.html

Note that there's nothing at all spoilery about it.

Its apparently a parody of a 70s English show we've got no way to reference on our side of the pond. But the animation is cute, and we can still reference it as similar to other stuff we've seen here. I think it looks like "Davey & Goliath" personally.
    Last edited by Krom; 02-03-2007 at 01:31 AM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I just saw the football (or soccer perhaps?) episode, it was really, really good. I like the contrast between modern and old-fashioned techniques, when watching modern or old police shows you never get that contrast. Plus I just read that the international version doesn't have as much good music as the original on BBC as they didn't pay the international rights to the music. What a waste for those without that music, it's brilliant and adds to the storyline and atmosphere of the show.

Have I mentioned that I love this show?

We're 3 episodes into the 2nd series in Britain and it's as brilliant as ever. Sad to say though that this the FINAL series! .
    John Sim who palys Sam lives with his family in London whilst the series is filmed in Manchester and didn't want to film another series. Also they wanted to finish the series on a high. Will certainly be on of my favourite DVDs in the future.

PS.............. there are rumours that Gene Hunt will star in his own spin off series, but as I said it's just a rumour!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

I think a spinoff could be good, but not as great as Life on Mars. One thing that makes the show so good is the interaction between Sam and Gene, old and new (plus I think John Simm is hot ). I still think it could be interesting though. And of course I must see the 2nd series as well.

Seems like all British shows I fall in love end after just a few series, Queer as Folk, Coupling and now Life on Mars. However this gives the the positive that they never go bad.

Re: Life On Mars - BBC

Second and final series ended last night. The ending................ well there was an ending but no one is quite sure what happened. I'll leave it there. Have ordered the second series DVD, out next week, and there will be a spin off with Gene Hunt, to be shown in Britain next year! Can't wait!!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Re: Life On Mars - BBC

I read today (In a Swedish paper so it's no use to leave references (plus I can't remember in which paper it was)), that there was to be a third series of Life on Mars only that it would be set in the eighties.

I guess it could work, but after the original, I'd like to think (pointing out that I haven't seen the second series yet, so please no spoilers) that the police started changing their ways, and therefore the contrast wouldn't be as big. Plus it's not as good music or as cool clothes.

But if it comes I'll probably watch it, it could be good, or even great, the writers are brilliant, but I doubt it'll be the same as the original.

For clarification, all that small note in the paper said was that they were thinking of setting series three in the eighties, not if the cast or crew were the same.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast