+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Dirt on FX Network

It re-airs Friday night and Sunday night.

I liked it. Not very many likable characters and a tad depressing, but overall it kept me entertained. What's scary is I really don't think that some of the portrayls (Sp?) are very far from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Medallion;2198015;
    I liked it. Not very many likable characters and a tad depressing, but overall it kept me entertained. What's scary is I really don't think that some of the portrayls (Sp?) are very far from the truth.
    I don't particularly need likable characters (I think its kind of a cultural disease that people think they need them), but what I DO need is writing which is clever and makes sense. Cleverness based on wit, not gimmicks (like the schizo guy's visions---that was pure, unnecessary gimmickry). This show has the potential to be witty, but its not even close to there. And it shouldn't be less cynical, it should be MORE cynical. Despite that, the wit should also try and be a bit more subtle than the attempts we've seen. Sure, Hollywood is a town of excess, but the way people react should be human, not over the top.

Also, Courtney Cox's ego should move out of the way. She's cast as someone who is basically scummy. But instead of rolling with that she has to have weepy humanizing moments thrown in to ruin it. I call bullsh@t. You can afford a few of those moments half a season in when you've proven the character. Until then? It should be Bitch Central.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Episode 2 wasn't really much better, but it DID have those neat scenes with Courtney Cox and a vibrator.

That was not a joke by the way. There really were 2 such scenes.

Once more though I think they are trying to imply that Cox's character is "a good person" but who's forced to do bad things. Again, I call bull.

And again, Don the Shutterbug and his wacky hallucinations was TOO MUCH. Annoying, not entertaining.

There's still a kernel of a good idea here... I'm just not sure they can ever reach it.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom;2202599;
    Episode 2 wasn't really much better, but it DID have those neat scenes with Courtney Cox and a vibrator.
    And again, Don the Shutterbug and his wacky hallucinations was TOO MUCH. Annoying, not entertaining.

There's still a kernel of a good idea here... I'm just not sure they can ever reach it.
    Essentially, I agree with you. I want to give this show a chance, but, so far, I have found it hard to sit through an episode without rolling my eyes, for the most part. I see that there is a lot of material that "Dirt" could potentially use in its storylines. But, unfortunately, I mostly see gimmickry and a (too) slick presentation. Yes, Courtney's character should be a bitch on wheels. And, Don is, indeed, annoying. The man and his demons are just way too distracting. However, I disagree regarding Courtney and the vibrator. She just wasn't convincing enough for me.

I may watch more episodes. However, at this point, I could take or leave "Dirt." I should have known that something was up, given all of the prior hype on FX surrounding this show (that got very annoying, after a while). To be honest, though, I am marking time, waiting for "The Shield" to return

Cat

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar
    Seems everyone's abandoned Dirt... except me.

That's fine.

I watch it each week and actually enjoy it. I don't expect uber-quality from every show I watch. I don't even expect them to be grounded in reality. If I want reality, I'll watch the news

Don's become my favorite character. He's such a likeable schizophrenic

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

I've still been watching (taped not live) but I am running out of things to say.

The problems are still there, no better and no worse.

Don's schizophrenia is still coming off gimicky. And Lucy still suffers from them trying to show redeeming qualities in her which don't fit the show.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlena_M;2214560;
    Seems everyone's abandoned Dirt... except me.

That's fine.

I watch it each week and actually enjoy it. I don't expect uber-quality from every show I watch. I don't even expect them to be grounded in reality. If I want reality, I'll watch the news

Don's become my favorite character. He's such a likeable schizophrenic
    I'm watching it, even though it is a little difficult to stay. It is one of the more bizarre shows I've seen. Don being in love with the dead woman, and her giving birth to kittens...OK...
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I have all the episodes dvr'd to my computer but I haven't watched them yet.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Can hardly wait to hear your opinion!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread