+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TV at Christmas

TV at Christmas

Am I right in that in the US there are no big shows on for Christmas ? I'm sure I read that somewhere recently. In Britain we have Christmas editions of popular shows, some bettere than others. It's amazing the number of births, deaths and marriages there are in TV soaps at Christmas! Comedy shows rehash every Christmas joke you can think of and there are big one off dramas. This year we have Dracula to look forward to on BBC1, not very festive exactly!
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

I used to love the Christmas editions of my favourite shows.
    I remember when the BBc didn't show some awful "blockbuster" movie one year and showed a bumper Only Fools and Horses instead.
    It was so much better, imo.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    In the U.S. many TV series do have Christmas episodes, but they usually air in the 2 weeks prior to Christmas. After that it's almost all reruns, sports and old movies. My guess is that they do that because they don't feel that people are going to be watching a lot of shows during the Holidays. We used to get Christmas variety specials, but the variety show pretty much died in the 1980's, so that doesn't happen anymore. Personally, I watch a lot of Turner Classic Movies(TCM) at this time of the year, I get real nostalgic for those old Christmas musicals and cartoons.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;2179898;
    I used to love the Christmas editions of my favourite shows.
    I remember when the BBc didn't show some awful "blockbuster" movie one year and showed a bumper Only Fools and Horses instead.
    It was so much better, imo.
    I used to like Only Fools and Horses, but since the mid 90s those Christmas specials have been very poor. The best OFAH episodes are the ones where Rodney won the painting competition and the one with the singer who couldn't pronounce the letter r. Since then they really ran out of ideas and jokes.
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    If you look in the Movies thread you will see a discussion on holiday films and many of the titiles mentioned are actually tv specials and movies. There are tons of holiday programs in the US. The usually start right after Thanksgiving. One channel even has 25 Days of Christmas with Christmas shows and movies every night. There are plenty of classic specials that have aired for decades that generations of Americans loves and make a point to see every year.

FORT Newbie
    Here in Canada, it seems there are at least 3-4 different Christmas themed shows to pick from each night. The other night I saw a Disney cartoon I had never seen before. It played after Mickey's Christmas Carol and was called " The Little One". It was about a little donkey that was too old and ended up being sold to Joseph to carry Mary. I found it interesting because most of the other shows are about Santa or reindeer or Christmas spirit.
    Some shows usually have a Christmas show, like the Simpsons, ER, etc. There have been the old cartoons (Charlie Brown, Frosty, etc) and new and old movies.

Here in the USA, what I most enjoy on tv during this time of year is the period from about now until the end of the year when lots of channels do a year-end highlights type of shows, like Best <whatever> of The Year, Best TV moments of The Year, News Highlights of The Year, Best and Worst <whatever> of The Year, etc., etc. I enjoy those brief lookbacks of the year during these times.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2182519;
    Here in the USA, what I most enjoy on tv during this time of year is the period from about now until the end of the year when lots of channels do a year-end highlights type of shows, like Best <whatever> of The Year, Best TV moments of The Year, News Highlights of The Year, Best and Worst <whatever> of The Year, etc., etc. I enjoy those brief lookbacks of the year during these times.
    I love those too Nemeses....and it never fails when they show who has passed away during the year I am always amazed at the talent that has left us!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

+ Reply to Thread