+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Daily Show/ The Colbert Report

The Daily Show/ The Colbert Report

I thought it was time these two shows got their own thread. Since they run back to back up here, I kept them back to back in the same place.

LOVE these shows!! Am rarely awake to watch them, so I tape them for great enjoyment later.
    ------------------------------
    I hope this doesn't affect the show too much. This just in:

Executive producer quits The Daily Show, Colbert Report

The Emmy-winning executive producer behind The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and its spinoff, The Colbert Report, is stepping down.

Ben Karlin, who joined The Daily Show in 1999, will leave the Comedy Central network at the end of December.

Doug Herzog, the president of the network, said Karlin was overwhelmed by working on two shows.

"Ben has been doing this a long time," Herzog told the New York Times in an interview published Saturday. "Four nights a week. Forty-some odd weeks a year."

The Daily Show has collected a total of nine Emmys including four trophies for best variety or comedy series and five for outstanding writing in a comedy program.

The 35-year-old Karlin shared the 2005 Thurber Prize for American Humor with David Javerbaum and Stewart for their book, The Daily Show with Jon Stewart Presents America (The Book): A Citizen's Guide to Democracy Inaction.

Herzog said the parting was amicable and Karlin will still serve as a consultant to both shows.

Karlin, a graduate of the University of Wisconsin, served as writer and editor with the satirical paper The Onion until 1996, when he left for Hollywood.

He had a steady stream of work as a screenwriter, scripting movies such as Ice Age and Monkeybone before the executives at Comedy Central offered him the head writing job at The Daily Show in 1999.

"Ben's smart He's like Neo," said Stewart in a 2005 interview with Broadcast & Cable magazine, referring to the main character played by Keanu Reeves in The Matrix movie series.

"The rest of us see everything in regular motion, but Ben sees the zeroes and ones, even while being attacked by 20 ninjas."

While the two programs only attract between 1.2 and 1.6 million viewers each week, they have been lauded for their razor-sharp satire of politics, pop culture and news. Guests often include musicians, actors, writers and politicians.

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/tv/story/2006...in-leaves.html
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I don't really know much about what goes on behind the scenes of these two shows. Only that I try to catch them as much as I can. Often, I find Colbert the funnier of the two because he portrays his "character" so well especially when he fools some of the guests he has. His conservative character is such a nice counter part to Stewarts, liberal (?) views.
    Their reports and news segments make me laugh every night. And I recently read a Research experiment/project that showed the "Daily Show" held as much actual news content as did regular news broadcasts on major networks. I'll have to search for the paper to post a link here.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2166252;
    I don't really know much about what goes on behind the scenes of these two shows. Only that I try to catch them as much as I can. Often, I find Colbert the funnier of the two because he portrays his "character" so well especially when he fools some of the guests he has. His conservative character is such a nice counter part to Stewarts, liberal (?) views.
    Their reports and news segments make me laugh every night. And I recently read a Research experiment/project that showed the "Daily Show" held as much actual news content as did regular news broadcasts on major networks. I'll have to search for the paper to post a link here.
    It's where a lot of college students get their "news"....just hope they can tell the difference between the real and the fake.....

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    So glad you started this MissKitty, I've been thinking about it too. I love Colbert. I like Jon but Stephen is the bomb. Too many nights lately I haven't gotten to sleep until 1 AM when the shows are over. I really should start taping them but that would require too much effort.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

I can't always stay up either. So I've tried taping them and watching the next day. I think Jon is way cuter, but enjoy Stephen's ability to deliver his news too! I'm glad the two shows are compatable and not vying to kick the other off the air.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Stephen who?

Does anyone think it's odd that most of the posts in this thread - about two shows that are parodies of U.S. news programs - are from Canadians?

Obviously, I'm a huge fan of both of these shows, but I find Colbert's whole schtick to be just brilliant. The writing for both programs is wonderful, but as a satirist, Colbert blows Jon Stewart out of the water. To Stewart's credit, though, he knows it. I never saw anyone so embarrassed to accept an Emmy.

Has anyone had the chance to catch Ed Helms on The Office? He's doing a great job - no surprise there. I'm hoping the next correspondent to spin-off will be John Hodgson (to something more than Mac commercials, that is - though he's funny as hell in those).

By the way, the Comedy Network re-runs DS/CR every day, so if you're too tired to stay up or forget to tape it, there's a second opportunity to catch both shows.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    So, Ed Helms is back on the Daily Show from, as he put it, his under cover gig infiltrating corporate America in a paper company in Scranton.
    Last edited by PhoneGrrrl; 12-06-2006 at 09:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2167792;
    Obviously, I'm a huge fan of both of these shows, but I find Colbert's whole schtick to be just brilliant. The writing for both programs is wonderful, but as a satirist, Colbert blows Jon Stewart out of the water. To Stewart's credit, though, he knows it. I never saw anyone so embarrassed to accept an Emmy.
    Also a fan (and a Canadian fan at that ), also agree that Colbert is the superior satirist, however I think that Stewart is the superior interviewer. I find that Colbert's act can get in the way of his interviewing and shows a bit of a lack of interest in what the interviewee is saying and a bit too much interest in keeping up the facade. As I am occasionally interested in what their guests have to say, I greatly prefer Stewart's ability to interact with, and interest in, his guest. And I looovvvve the Seat of Heat.

Has anyone had the chance to catch Ed Helms on The Office? He's doing a great job - no surprise there. I'm hoping the next correspondent to spin-off will be John Hodgson (to something more than Mac commercials, that is - though he's funny as hell in those).
    Thank you! I have been going nuts trying to remember where I've seen PC guy.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2167792;
    Stephen who?

Does anyone think it's odd that most of the posts in this thread - about two shows that are parodies of U.S. news programs - are from Canadians?
    Fellow Canadian checking in.

Of the two, I find that Jon Stewart is more genuine - he's being himself. Whereas Colbert is playing an act, and sometimes I find he can be a bit too exagerrated. Mind you, the move in the opening credits where Colbert moves his pointed finger to point at the viewer at home gets me laughing every time. Overall, I like them both, with Jon Stewart being a bit in front in my estimation.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonegrrrl
    So, Ed Helms is back on the Daily Show from, as he put it, his under cover gig infiltrating corporate America in a paper company in Scranton.
    That bit killed me.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2168358;
    Yes, that was definitely inspired.

Yeah, Stewart usually does do better interview than Colbert. Actually, the big difference between the two shows is that Colbert's program is a total mockery from start to finish, whereas Stewart has moments of utter sincerity, often with his guests. The Seat of Heat is pretty funny, but The Word is the bomb.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast