+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Daily Show/ The Colbert Report

Re: The Daily Show/ The Colbert Report

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;2649194;
    Canadian, I'd tell you to try E's "The Soup" and "Chelsea Lately" but I guess they'll be effected too I agree with your post in another thread that I too support the writers, I think what they're asking for is fair, but how sad for us!
    We used to get the soup, but I haven't been able to find it lately on tv here which really sucks because I love it.

I just hope things are resolved soon! I officially hate strikes (my campus union workers are also striking).

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2650014;
    We used to get the soup, but I haven't been able to find it lately on tv here which really sucks because I love it.

I just hope things are resolved soon! I officially hate strikes (my campus union workers are also striking).
    No Soup for you, canadian_angel?!

That's scandalous, we must find you a Soup connection! I wonder if they have some of the episodes on youtube?
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

Quote Originally Posted by Nemeses;2650895;
    No Soup for you, canadian_angel?!

That's scandalous, we must find you a Soup connection! I wonder if they have some of the episodes on youtube?
    I know that they have an official myspace page for the soup. They might have video on their page as well .

I'm just glad that when the strike is over I'll get my daily fresh dose of Stewart and Colbert.
    I wish Colbert's election bid hadn't have been rejected. He'd at least be on the news now!!

As for The Soup, I don't think myspace will work because I'm in Canada and we can't generally view tv shows via myspace or any other place for that matter, except not so legally on youtube.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba-Jo-Lyn;2646618;
    Peeved me off that the "establishment" wouldn't let Colbert be listed on the ballot in SC. Everybody knows he was doing it as publicity stunt but it still would have gotten a lot more people out to vote and attracted a lot of attention to the Democratic Convention if he had won a delegate in SC. Huge opportunity wasted for the Democrats.
    I live in SC and let me be the first to tell you that this state has NO sense of humor about anything!

And unless you are among the very few liberals in this state, Colbert is NOT regarded as a "favorite son". The conservatives don't think he's funny at all.

He may get more press from his native Charleston, but the upstate area pretty much manages to avoid mentioning him at all and he gets NO press coverage here for anything. Even his bid to run for President.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

FORT Fogey

Doesn't SC denying Colbert a place on the ballot answer to one of th biggest criticisms that Stewart and Colbert have of the political process -- moving things to their way? Both of them lampoon the way we've allowed the political process to become an absurd joke. So it seems to me that when SC says they won't allow the political process to be a joke by putting him on the ballot, aren't they taking action to make the process more like Stewart and Colbert desire for it to be?

The only similarity between Stewart & Colbert's shows is that they're both on Comedy Central (Comedy Network here in Canada). Stewart's show is half comedy variety show, half late-night talk show. Colbert's show is devoted to Stephen Colbert - the Stephen Colbert character, the faux-conservative. Colbert never breaks out of character, even during his interview segments.

A political bid from Stewart might be taken seriously, there's no chance that one from Stephen Colbert ever would, or could. Stewart's fans love him partly for his liberalism, but Colbert's fans love him for his brilliant satirism (is that a word? ). I'm a fan of both of them -Stewart's delivery is fabulous, and I never get tired of his Bush & Cheney imitations - but Colbert does what Stewart only wishes he could. There's a reason that Stewart is always Colbert's straight man when they interact.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I love both shows, but I do get real tired of Stewart's Bush imitations, and his Johnny Carson-esque one, too. I never get tired of the respect he gives authors who come on to discuss their books, most of which are serious. Whenever an author comes on Colbert's show, he rarely gives them enough time to discuss their views.

P.S. This is Veteran's Day weekend - take a vet to lunch.
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

It was announced today that both shows are returning, sans striking writers, after the holidays. I'm a little bummed they'd abandon their superb writing staffs who have won Emmys and Peabody Awards, but I do miss the two shows.

In other news, AP chose Colbert their Entertainer of the Year award. What a hoot.
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I really enjoyed this Colbert's Civil Rights MLK Day Writer's Strike-Busting Writerless Show — In Song - Media on The Huffington Post article. I really had no idea about Colbert's father being involved in a civil rights issue in the 60s.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast