+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Daily Show/ The Colbert Report

Re: The Daily Show/ The Colbert Report

Colbert's Presidential Bid Shot Down

COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) — The South Carolina Democratic Party voted Thursday to keep comedian Stephen Colbert's name off the Democratic Primary ballot, according to Executive Director Joe Werner.

This essentially means that Colbert’s short lived White House run in the Palmetto State will come to an end, because he has said that he would not try to be placed on the Republican Party primary ballot.

The state party's executive council met this afternoon in Columbia to decide which Democratic candidates met the criteria to be placed on the ballot. To be placed on the South Carolina ballot a candidate must demonstrate national viability as well as campaign in the state.

Colbert, who officially filed papers to get on the ballot this morning, lost a roll call vote, 13-3.

Meanwhile, presidential long shots, Rep. Dennis Kucinich and former Alaska Sen. Mike Gravel, made the cut.
    Tune in tonight people to see his reaction. It is bound to be hilarious!!!

CCL

Oh, boo. I wanted to have him win the nomination and throw a wrench into things. Ah, well, he'll probably have some mock funeral atmosphere tonight on the show.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

He could always run as an independent. It would be a hoot!
    ~~~~

I can't think when I have to think. ~~moi~~

Quote Originally Posted by roses4me;2642907;
    He could always run as an independent. It would be a hoot!
    Didn't Pat Paulson (Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, ahead-of-its-time political satire, the hands-down best show on TV at the time) do that in '68? It was a hoot, and he'd have done a helluva lot better than Nixon!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Yes, Pat Paulson did run - a lot! He was so funny because he acted like he didn't have a clue about anything, at least that's how I remember him. He got started on Rowen & Martin's Laugh In. If he could get away with campaiging on that show then why can't Colbert do the same?

It's too bad there's a writer's strike. I'd like to see his skits responding to his getting rejected by the powers that be. Thursday night was funny. He soothed his hurt feelings by bringing out a bag of Dortitos.
    Too funny.
    ~~~~

I'm so sad that pretty much, effectively immediately, there won't be any new episodes of either show! They're my nightly wind down before I go to bed. Now what will I watch?!

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar

Peeved me off that the "establishment" wouldn't let Colbert be listed on the ballot in SC. Everybody knows he was doing it as publicity stunt but it still would have gotten a lot more people out to vote and attracted a lot of attention to the Democratic Convention if he had won a delegate in SC. Huge opportunity wasted for the Democrats.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

Maybe the Dems were worried that Stephen might have garnered some real support in his bid. This is the guy who managed to get enough votes to have a bridge in Hungary named after him, remember.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2646050;
    I'm so sad that pretty much, effectively immediately, there won't be any new episodes of either show! They're my nightly wind down before I go to bed. Now what will I watch?!
    Canadian, I'd tell you to try E's "The Soup" and "Chelsea Lately" but I guess they'll be effected too I agree with your post in another thread that I too support the writers, I think what they're asking for is fair, but how sad for us!

On the last episode, Colbert introduced a new word: Juiciful! He was describing North Carolina's peaches. I bet it takes off just as "truthiness" did.
    ~~~~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast