+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 20/20

20/20

Did anyone catch last night's episode of 20/20? It is where someone calls a McDonald's pretending to be a police officer and gets the manager to strip search a young female employee. The manager leaves different men with her, and the caller tells her to have her fiance come to the store to watch the naked teenager, who then proceeds to sexually assault her.
    I just cannot believe how incredibly stupid these people are. I really wanted to slap some sense into the manager. How ignorant, and half of her statements in her interview were lies. (She was obviously well coached by her lawyer)

I don't normally watch this, just because it's on when I go to bed. But we happened to catch it last night and I was disgusted. That manager deserves all the punishment she can get mororn.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar
    I didn't catch this last night but I've actually seen this segment before. It's unbelievable how that could happen and I can't imagine how scared that poor girl was during the whole thing.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    OMG...I'm glad I wasn't the only one that watched that episode!! I believe my mouth fell to the floor at the beginning of the episode and never closed afterwards!!! I was totally and completely flabbergasted at what was being reported.....

WTH is wrong with those people??? That manager listened to a freakin' voice on the phone and told her to do that to that girl???? I can't imagine not even once not thinking that "hey, this doesn't seem right" and questioning why the damn police wasn't THERE...IN PERSON...rather than on the phone...

That poor girl laying her head on the managers shoulder crying and seemingly begging her to help her while she sat there with just a apron around her...what kind of woman would allow that? Heck, if nothing else..if you had a female that was undressed wouldn't you at least call another female into the office rather than males????????

And the fiancee....... That's just a whole 'nother thing........I can't repeat here on this wonderful thread what I'd like to do to him....

It still makes me angry thinking about this episode...I cannot even imagine what that poor girls parents thought when they got that phone call and found out what their daughter had went through. They would have had to physically restrain me from beating the living daylights out of the manager.

IMO, the jury was wrong and let the right man go (especially since it hasn't happened anymore since his trial...hmmmm?! coincidence? I think not!)...and I believe that manager should have gotten a whole lot worse than a slap on the wrist! I hope that young girl gets every penny from her lawsuit!

Unfreakenbelievable.........it just seems like every day you find out more and more that your kids aren't safe anywhere.........
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I couldn't believe all the manager got was a years probation. She should have child molestation charges for making the teenager take her clothes off, or what ever the correct charge would be in this instance.

I caught this too, and I'm still fuming about the unmitigated stupidity of all the adults who took part in this. I don't lay blame for the young girl mainly because of her age (and obvious naivety), but good grief, the adults were MORONS to go along with scam. I can't imagine for one minute being duped like that. Why wasn't her first reaction (the manager) to hang up, call their local police and verify that it was a legitimate phonecall? It's interesting that the cops think the guy chose fast-food workers because they're ingrained to do things only by the book, and when there are no rules, they don't know what to do. That point was obviously proven, but how can common sense not take over at some point? The jumping jacks? The act she was forced to perform? How anyone can fall for that is completely beyond me, and I think all of them should have been sentenced to time behind for bars, if for no other reason, than for being brainless. I hope that woman has trouble sleeping at night for being such a dolt. And her saying she never saw the girl naked when the tape shows her walking in with her unclothed, makes it obvious she's flat-out lying. I can't believe the jury found the instigator not guilty, and I hope they're having nightmares about it too. It's unbelievable that he (the caller) was able to get so many people conned so easily -- how stupid are some people? It doesn't bode well for our society as a whole.

ETA: Edited to add - I remember seeing an old episode of The Dick Van Dyke show where Buddy and Sally played a prank on Rob by calling him, pretending to the phone company. They told him they were testing the phone, and they needed to see if it still worked when he held one arm over his head while jumping up and down. He does this, and eventually they laugh at him, and he realizes he's been 'punked.' That was funny, this is not.
    Last edited by roseskid; 12-02-2006 at 08:56 PM.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

I also watched this show totally aghast. I am glad that manager got fired, (the girl and/or her parents should sue HER too!) and her pervy fiance got jail time but how the heck did the real creep end up being found not guilty? I missed that part of the show.

The manager should never have let any male into that office. I think she had a male manager at one point, then her stupid fiance, and then the male janitor who finally said no to the perv's demands!

I just cannot believe they sat on the phone for hours while all of this was going on....especially since the police station was what? One-quarter mile away? Call the cops....on a cellphone like the manager used to get a hold of her fiance.

As far as doing jumping jacks......please! No one figured out that there was no way this girl could have hidden anything anywhere in her body? What was the initial complaint....someone said their purse was stolen? How the heck can someone hide a purse! Come on!

And then for the cops to have known to google McDonald's strip search and find out about all of these other incidences. It is just mind-boggling. I think they said that at one Taco Bell, the perv called regarding a PATRON of Taco Bell who had stolen something and they took her into the back office! Shocking how brazen this creep was.

I thought it was really interesting how the cops, in Florida, could trace the phone card to WalMart and find the creep on store security tapes and trace the phone calls.

To think what the poor girl went through is just every parents' nightmare! I hope she wins every cent she is going after!

+ Reply to Thread