+ Reply to Thread

Thread: T.V. uberculture

T.V. uberculture

Seems we have no specific place to talk about T.V. as a cultural phenomenon, as opposed to specific shows.

Sometimes that can take the form of meta-discussion. Talk ranging from how T.V. affects people, the definition of various terms (what is a sitcom, what is a dramody, a "Q" rating, etc.), issues about cable vs. broadcast T.V., the evolution of broadcast standards.

Or sometimes there might just be something out there, an article, a web parody, a news snippet, etc. which, again, focuses not on a specific instance of T.V., but an overall issue, or a variety of shows.

For example, in the later department, I submit for your interest a funny little section of the T.V. Land website called "T.V. Land Rocks", where they have fake "videos" of a fake rock-group performing T.V. parody songs. The strange thing is... the group (and the songs) are actually pretty good--not weird Al-copycat parodies, but originally written hard rock songs on such diverse subjects as Wednesday Addams, Nellie Olsen, and Bonanza's Little Joe.

Yes, all of the members of the fake rock group The Half-Pints (two of them guys) ARE outfitted like little pigtailed dress-wearing prarie girls. All three are apparently to be referred to as "Laura".

The videos: http://www.tvland.com/video/index.jhtml?bcpid=174354129 (requires Macromedia Flash and fast internet)

The Half-Pints even have a MySpace - http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endid=39154824

Eventually, perhaps we can use this topic to talk about deeper or more edifying T.V. (uber)culture issues, but I thought to start with something fun.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Here's another funny little corner of the web I've found recently which puts a humorous spin on TV in general.

http://teeveepedia.teevee.org/index.php/Main_Page

Basically, its a Wiki built around humorous faux definitions of stuff from the TV industry.

For example, here's a tiny bit from the entry for Ted McGinley:

Ted McGinley
    From TeeVeePedia, the Internet TV Encyclopedia.

Ted McGinley is the human incarnation of an ancient and powerful immortal being.

Over the millennia, humanity has known Ted McGinley by many names -- The Great Ender, Relief-Bringer, He That Waits Beyond The Shark -- but his earliest recorded appearance is in Norse mythology, where he is referred to simply as Hárogtennur (lit., "hair and teeth"). Though a relatively obscure deity, he plays a particularly important role in Viking lore.
    Or a bit of the Kelly Ripa entry:
    Kelly Ripa
    From TeeVeePedia, the Internet TV Encyclopedia.

Kelly Ripa is a mythical figure used to terrify small children into behaving well. "Be good," parents tell their quaking offspring, "or Kelly Ripa will come along and gobble you up!"

When not devouring children with her unhingeable jaw, Ripa co-hosts a syndicated morning show with Regis Philbin.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    That is the funniest site I've seen in a long time. THANK YOU, Krom for posting the link. Awesome.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

+ Reply to Thread