+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The OC - Season 4

The OC - new season

I thought there'd be a thread about this already. Didn't you love the start of the new season? I was wondering how they would pull off the post-Marissa, post-high school transition, and I thought their first episode did a really good job. Julie and Ryan took especially well to the dark side. They even gave creepy Kaitlin something real to worry about.

Also, I love the remake of that Kate Bush song they kept playing. Who did that, anyone know?

The OC - Season 4

Okay, I had planned to boycott the show this season but I had to tune in to see how the others were dealing with Marissa's death. So, if anyone is interested, here's my lame attempt at a recap.

Summer: She's turned eco-friendly and spends her time at "Save the insert animal cause here" protests and is into recycling and saving the earth.

Seth: He leaves long voicemails for Summer, letting her know how life in the OC is and how worried he is about Ryan since Ryan moved out and won't speak to anyone. He works at (owns?) a comic store with some of his comic geek buddies and seems to be over his pot-smoking days (I think).

Taylor: She's pretending to be in Paris. Not sure why.

Kaitlyn: She's same ole bad girl from last year. Luke's younger twin brothers are hovering around her like dogs in heat and do her every bidding. She saw Dr. Roberts with his ex-wife (the one we never saw on camera but Summer referred to as the step-monster) and so of course she is blackmailing him with this info for a pricey pair of black leather boots. Yeah, she really cares about her mom while Julie is going through the toughest ordeal of her life :nono

Julie Cooper Roberts: She's taking multiple medications to ease her pain and has pushed Dr. Roberts away. She visits Marissa's grave everyday and spends her free time either doped up in bed sleeping, rearranging built-in furniture, hot gluing some craft, or using hedgetrimmers on poor unsuspecting bushes in the backyard. Let me put it this way - She's no Edward Scissorshands. She's also into making clandestine (sp?) calls to Ryan. She had a PI find Volcheck (sounds like he hightailed it out of town after killing Marissa) and gave Ryan the file "to do with the info as he sees fit" as Ryan is the only one who can feel her pain. He says no thanks to the offer. (More on Ryan in a minute). Dr. Roberts thinks Kaitlyn told Julie about seeing him with the ex (now why would she do that when she can use him as a cash cow to keep the secret?!) and tries to explain it to Julie by saying at first he just needed someone to talk to and then he realizes Julie isn't even paying attention to what he's saying so he shuts up quick like in a hurry and mosey's on out with Julie being none the wiser because she's busy weeping over Marissa. So, sounds like Dr. Roberts is having a full-blown affair with the ex-step-monster.

Sandy & Kirsten: They seem to be a happy couple again, except for the fact that Ryan has moved out and they miss his presence in the house.

Last but not least, Ryan: He didn't attend the funeral, nor has he visited Marissa's grave. He also moved out of the Cohens and is working at some dive bar. Oh, and cage fighting at night . He's channeling his grief by getting beat to a pulp. Pain is good for young Mr. Atwood. Let some guy beat on you until your face looks like hamburger meat. Yeah, that's how I'd deal with grief too .

To tie this all in for the season premiere -

Summer feels like she's needed at home and flies home to find out what's going on with Ryan. She hatches a plan to get Ryan to come back to the family. She goes to the bar, talks Ryan into going to the comic store, and there stand Seth, Sandy, and Kirsten with "intervention" written all over their face. Ryan looks like a deer caught in the headlights as they do a "this is your life" ala comic book style. Seth created a character called Atomic Man, who comes to town and helps the invisible man (Seth) become visible and get the girl (Summer). I think Sandy is litigation man and Kirsten is ice princess, and of course Atomic Man helps them too by showing them the more compassionate and human side to life when they take him in.

Ryan is touched by the tribute and decides to quit his job and go back home (hmm, at the end of the day, getting Ryan to come home seemed just a little too easy). But he didn't go home before having one more cage fight. This time he pummels the guy and then meets Julie at Marissa's grave and takes the mysterious red file with Volcheck's whereabouts. Julie asks what changed his mind and he says "I just realized (dramatic pause) I have to do this."

Oh, forgot this - Summer goes to lunch with her dad and sees Taylor. Busted! Taylor makes it sound like she is recently in town. Then Taylor spots some girls in the restaurant and makes a hasty retreat.

Previews: Summer finds Taylor sleeping in her bed. Ryan shows up at Volcheck's door, gun in hand. Kaitlyn is caught shoplifting I think. I don't remember the rest of the previews. I think it will be on Wed. and Thurs. next week.

Yikes, I was just typing my loooonnnng recap under a new thread and saw this!

Mods - please do your magic and merge the threads. Thanks!

Yes, thanks!

Mods, you could move mine over to the other thread if you want

I am so grateful to Tivo. If I didn't have a season pass, I would have missed this random premier date.

The funniest scene for us was when Seth and his comic geek friends made the little girl cry, lol

I would still like to know who did the cover of that Kate Bush song. It sounded great! Speaking of music, kind of OT, remember the Journey vs. Foreigner debate that time they hired a cover band? The Cohens liked one band and Ryan liked the other. Which is which? I can't find either of those bands' CDs at my local library to find out more about them, so if anyone can give me the 411, thanks.

Ryan makes a good cage match participant, lol. He sort of does look like a young Russell Crowe.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2129254;
    Oh, forgot this - Summer goes to lunch with her dad and sees Taylor. Busted! Taylor makes it sound like she is recently in town. Then Taylor spots some girls in the restaurant and makes a hasty retreat.

Previews: Summer finds Taylor sleeping in her bed.
    Hey, I'll bet you liked that they mentioned Archie comics in the episode

I think Taylor spotted her mother at the restaurant. She thought her mother was out of town, but she wasn't.

In the preview, I thought the thing that happened to her in Paris was she may have decided she was gay, and now has a crush on Summer. I guess we'll have to wait for the next episode to find out!
    Last edited by Harvest; 11-04-2006 at 05:24 PM.

Since Ryan wasn't living with the Cohens any more, was he attending Berkely? Or just doing boxing?

Is Taylor telling people that she is enrolled as an exchange student in a France University? Or just there for a vacation? Where is she really going to school, Berkley?

I forgot to mention the show picked up 5 months after Marissa's death.

laura000, Ryan dropped out of going to college. The Cohens knew he was bartending but they didn't know he was boxing. Seth found that out when he went to see Ryan.

I don't think Taylor picked Berkely as her college but not quite sure about her reason for going to Paris. She may have said if it was school related or not but I didn't pay attention too closely to that part.

Another thing I missed, I thought Seth got into the design school in Rhode Island so he could be near Summer but instead he was at home working at the comic store. I don't know if the show addressed that and I missed it. For all I know Seth is going to community college. Did anyone see anything about Seth and college?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2129397;
    I don't think Taylor picked Berkely as her college but not quite sure about her reason for going to Paris. She may have said if it was school related or not but I didn't pay attention too closely to that part.

Another thing I missed, I thought Seth got into the design school in Rhode Island so he could be near Summer but instead he was at home working at the comic store. I don't know if the show addressed that and I missed it. For all I know Seth is going to community college. Did anyone see anything about Seth and college?
    Taylor said she was not going to Brown with Summer after all, but had chosen the Sorbonne (in Paris) instead.

Seth's acceptance at RISDE (Rhode Island School of Design, in Providence like Brown so he will be near Summer) starts at the winter term, so she had the fall term there to herself.

Quote Originally Posted by laura000;2129319;
    Since Ryan wasn't living with the Cohens any more, was he attending Berkely? Or just doing boxing?
    They mentioned that Ryan decided to "defer" college. At the end of this episode, he said he planned to move back in with the Cohens, ending his "boxing."

I would flip in between commericals while watching Greys and CSI, but I don't think I'll be watching the OC this season unless it moves to another night...And from what I've read they only got less than 3 million viewers...With those kind of numbers they would better off switching nights...

I'm so sad to say, but I definitely did not like the first episode. I don't know if i wasn't giving it a chance. Or if somehow seeing it through Fox online beforehand changed it? But it was simply dreadful and I cannot even place what exactly it was that made it so. To me, it was off. Summer, though I understand why she's different, I didn't like. I don't like Kaitlyn, which I think is a big issue for me for the rest of the season.
    Though the single bright spot was Seth's humour. It was back and that is the only reason I will probably tune in again.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast