+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Friday Night Lights

From Friday's USA today website "Pop Candy" column:
    As for FNL, the show hasn't been cancelled (not yet, at least), though take note that the season finale airs April 11. New episodes of that show resume next week.
    So next week being this week - yay!

I can't believe the finale is coming up so soon...

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I'm really glad Tyra's mom came around after Tyra explained to her that she'd really like to go to college...so she must be a junior like most of them...and still has a year to work on her grades.

That neighbor lady of Riggins...SHE SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER! He was so embarrassed he would've stayed away if she hadn't gone back to him and started things up. What is wrong with these grown women? Granted, he's cute as anything but sheesh! Like she said in the first place, he's just a kid!

LG.
    I loved last night's episode. I liked Riggins teaching his neighbor-kid to defend himself (and scaring off the bullies at school for him). I liked the bonding between Riggins, Street, Smash and Cerason, with Cerason being the most timid, doesn't want to get in trouble, but Street actually showing him that he can make the long pass, he just needs to have more faith in himself. Poor Lyla, I feel so bad for her, finding out her dad is a total asshat and her mom yelling at her not to "take his side" and Street doesn't even call her when he doesn't make the team and prefers the company of fridge-hauling tattoo girl. I know she wasn't perfect, but her life is very less than perfect. I can't imagine that wrecking up the car lot will end up well for her. I was very ticked with Tyra's mom when she was sabotaging Tyra's efforts to study, and glad that she finally got her head out of her behind long enough to see that Tyra could have a chance to go to college, to be something besides a stripper. Dare to dream. And Julie, telling her dad she was tired of moving, and how she's finally happy. I already thought that Coach wasn't leaving, but this I think helps that along. She's his only child, he's not going to keep dragging her around when she only has a couple years left in high school (I hope). Besides, Matt Cerason is a heck of a lot better for her to be around than most of the people she'd meet at her age, and I think her dad knows that. Love this show. Love it.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

LG, I agree with everything you said. But I do have a different opinion about the moving thing.

For this TV show, I don't want them to move. I like them in Dillon with all the folks we already know and don't want them to move to college town.

But in the real world, I think that moving to Austin would offer more opportunities for the whole family, not just the Coach. For Julie right now, this is her first love and it seems like it'll last forever. But first loves rarely do... Granted, if the Panthers continue to do well, he might get another offer from a university to coach their teams...but high school coaches aren't recruited that often for big college teams. (Or are they? I actually don't know so I just kind of made that up! ) Moving would mean that they have to uproot, but there would be more culture/music/arts in Austin. And Julie most likely would be able to go to college at her dad's school for free/really cheap if her dad was employed there.

Anyhow, if this was real life, I'd say they were foolish to pass up the chance.

But, like I said, for the sake of this show, I hope they stay in Dillon.

LG.
    Lois, I think you're right on a practical matter for that family the move is probably good for all in the long run. But I've been thinking that for the show (focused on the fact that this small town lives and breathes football), they need to stay in Dillon. And Julie will probably go off to school somewhere in a couple of years, because she's got good grades and her mom is the guidance counselor, so yeah, she's not going to be hanging around Dillon forever. I don't know how often high school coaches are approached by college, but at my high school we had a very successful basketball coach who was constantly being recruited by smaller colleges, but he wanted to stay in my hometown (only God knows why anyone would want to do that). I digress, but my point was that if he's a notable coach, it's likely that a college will be interested in him in a couple years, and then they can ALL go to college. And if he's a coach at some small college, a lot of times they are in a "system" or have a tuition pact so that Julie could get cheap or free tuition at other schools in the system and she wouldn't need to go to the same college where her dad teaches. At least that was the rule where I went to college, a small (non-state run) private college that had sports teams, but certainly wasn't division I. Of course coach's ability to get a college coaching job in future years depends upon his ability to keep the Panthers winning every year.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Good points, LG. I won't even pretend to understand the high school/college recruiting system! I know that if my dad had been offered the college job (not that he's a coach or anything), we'd have been packed and moved despite what the kids wanted. Not sure that's necessarily a good thing, but it would've been my parents way of doing what they thought was best for the family.

I really don't want Julie and Matt to break up but you just know that if this show goes on for another couple seasons, they will have to cause friction between those two.

I really liked how Riggins, Smash and Matt opened up to Street last night--even though his family is suing the school. They were smart enough to differentiate what his parents were doing (for his benefit) to who he is, as their friend and former teammate. They know that the lawsuit is necessary for him to be able to get everything he needs to get better/just live. I can only imagine how much money it would cost for all the rehabilitation a wheelchair bound boy needs. Anyhow, that was a really sweet moment on the field...and with Street coaching Matt on what to do. I loved it.

It was funny though 'cause my husband walked in, looked at Street and said, "He's supposed to be in high schol? He looks older than me!" To me, Smash, Julie and Landry (sp?) are the only ones who look like high schoolers. Even Matt looks older--his face, I mean. I think that the actors who play Julie and Landry are the only actual teens in the cast.

This is one series I will definitely buy when it becomes available on DVD. I can imagine myself having a marathon weekend watching this when the husband is away on a golf weekend or something.

I can't wait for it to come out on DVD.

I find this show so believeable and even though I really want Tim with Tyra I totally get him and neighbour mom, they have some good chemistry. But so far Tim has chemistry with all his co-stars. I especially loved the part where they were on the football field. I know that Smash and Riggins are suppose to hate eachother but I think they are becoming friends and that is kind of cool.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    By the way, most colleges recruit coaches from other colleges. And Coach didn't turn down the college offer, he just said that his family needed more time to think about it. I was wondering where Julie was going to stay, if she stayed behind. I know she said she'd be living alone, but that would not be possible. How horrible it must be to be moving all of the time. I did like the way she explained it to her dad, though. If she stayed behind, so would her mother, no doubt.

Riggins hitting on/being hit on by his neighbor...well, at least she is not a teacher...which seems to be the "in thing" here lately. Women have to be teachers....other people just need to have that "y" chromosome! Yikes!

And, Kyle Chandler could not be any finer!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2296427;
    And, Kyle Chandler could not be any finer!!!!

My husband looks like him.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2296839;

My husband looks like him.
    Lucky you!!!!

+ Reply to Thread