+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Friday Night Lights

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LG.;2238700;
    I liked Matt Cerason (sp?) the quarterback celebrating Julie's touchdown. I think that their relationship is sweet, even though she got mad because he can be a clod.
    Agreed! And I think he's a clod not because he's a player (like Tim Riggins!) but because he's sooooooooooo inexperienced with dating/girls/being popular by virtue of being a football player. I hope he never dumps his friend--I forgot the friend's name, but he played the referee during the Powder Puff game that gave a "warning" to the Coach.

The girl that plays Julie is soooooooo cute. They're a good match.

LG.
    Oh Lois, I totally agree. I really adore Julie and Matt, and I think that Julie's parents can see that Matt is not a player, but a decent kid. Of course parents of teenage girls . . . I'll be one soon enough.

Matt Cerason bumbles around with his relationship with Julie because he has no experience whatsoever, and I think for the most part Julie finds it endearing. He forgot to meet her at the library and she was pretty steamed about it, but then she goes to Matt's house and sees that he's caught up in trying to take care of his grandma, but Matt apologizes like mad, and she likes him all the more. I think his friend with the lame band is named Landry, and I like him too. The one who was Riggins' English tutor who read Of Mice and Men. Very cool. It's like what would happen if one of the nerdy kids who have their own group of friends was suddenly "popular" because he happened to be thrust into the role of quarterback of the football team, what would that do to his whole high school experience, and that of his nerdy friends. I love that story. Likely because I was the high school nerd / band geek who ended up marrying the football player much later in life (20 years after high school). I watch this show with my hubby and wonder if we would have hung out if we'd known each other back then. No idea. Too funny. Matt and Julie are my favorite characters. I loved the scene when Smash was trying to impress the one girl (that he had known for years, and she'd just come back to town, what is her name), and he wanted to act like he hung out with Matt and Julie and went to see plays and read books, but really, he's not interested in that at all, and wants to be popular for being a football player.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I know! I love how when Matt was picking the girls for the football team, he was scared to pick Julie, but he was scared NOT to pick her, too. It was so cute. I love how he kept saying, "Please. Please!" I just saw on IMDB that the actress who plays Julie is 18. The guy who plays Matt is 25. She looks about 15 or 16; he looks younger than 25. Which is good 'cause sometimes you see actors playing high schoolers who look so old they should be playing characters going for their Ph.Ds!

Can I co-sign with what everyone above me just said?

I absolutely adore Matt's character - he has a vulnerability about him that is very sweet. As well his buddy Landry is hilarious - when he was yelling at Coach to get off his field (during the Powder Puff game), the look on Coach's face was priceless.

Anyone else slightly annoyed with Tyra's mother?

P.S. Congrats PaigeRay2006!

Quote Originally Posted by daddyzgirl;2239009;
    Anyone else slightly annoyed with Tyra's mother?
    Yup. She's the female equivalent of Leila's dad--whores! The both of them!

Tyra has such a good heart--if she had a better mom, she probably would have a brighter future. Smash has a mom who truly cares about him--enough to send him out of her house for disrespecting her. I don't think Tyra's mom would know what was going on/or even care.

I loved how Coach got all excited when he found out Julie was going to be the quarterback. It was so cute!

Did anyone see tonight's episode? Matt and Julie were sooooooo cute at the end. I'm also glad that Smash and Mac seem to have an understanding...and I'm really glad that Smash's mom had a talk with him. Sometimes you have to compromise to better your own future. He did the right thing to play in the game...

THIS SHOW IS SO GOOD!!!

I also loved this show last night. I find as I am able to watch it, I enjoy it more and more. I guess it has good believability, if that's a word.

LG.
    I'm so glad that Matt finally got to give Julie the necklace he'd bought her. I think that was actually a slight nod to the fact this episode aired on Valentine's Day, even though it was supposed to be fall (football playoffs time of year). The February pink birthstone, very valentiney. With the strip club and then going to jail, I was worried it wasn't going to happen. I liked that Mac stood up to the cops to protect Smash from getting dragged off for a horrible night in jail for no reason. I liked Smash's mom getting him to see beyond the short term so that he could hopefully get a better chance at a scholarship by playing in the game. I also liked that Riggins took out the creepy other team player that had that really late hit on Smash after his touchdown. I was glad that Riggins did it and that it wasn't just the other black players who were trying to protect their star running back (when it was obvious that the refs had no intention of doing it).

So, did the coach have them march right out of there and onto the bus because he was mad at their behavior (as he said) or because he was afraid for their safety in the stupid town in the heat of their playoff loss (my theory - let's get the heck out of here now boys!)?
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Your theory is the right one. It was about to get really ugly.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yeah, the Coach knew that things could get dangerous and he wanted to get his kids safely home. There's no doubt that he was angry about his team's behavior as well, but that was secondary to their safety. He didn't want to freak the kids out by scaring them, so that was as good an excuse to use as any.

I loved how Mac stood up to the cop and the bogus charge. One thing I didn't understand--Mac said the officer couldn't come on the bus without a warrant. Is that 'cause the bus is private property? Anyhow, I was so glad he said that 'cause I don't think Coach knew that that would've been illegal for the cop to do. If Mac wasn't there, I think Coach would've thought he had to turn Smash in.

I saw Mac in a new light last night. Before that, I always thought he was a "good ol' boy" -- I didn't hear his complete explanation to the Coach last night but it sounded like he was saying that he was a product of a household where racist things were done--and it's difficult to completely distance himself from that. BUT, that that's not who he was and that he was trying.

I really like how the characters are not one dimensional. Some are likeable, others aren't--but they all have different aspects to them.

Riggins and Smash aren't best buds by any means--there's no love lost between them. But I love that when things get tough, they stick up for each other. Teammates.

I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

ETA: I also love how at the end, when Julie and Matt were talking, she said she was worried about him. And he said something so cute--something like, "Oh, I'm not in any danger. I just stand all the way in the back."
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 02-15-2007 at 03:08 PM.

+ Reply to Thread