+ Reply to Thread
Page 84 of 107 FirstFirst ... 34747576777879808182838485868788899091929394 ... LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Dexter

Re: Dexter

The writers are so uncreative and lazy that they have to use a gimmich of incest to liven up the show. So lame. The scenes with Deb and Dexter were so awkward, that it was ridiculous. Somebody lock Deb up in the psych ward.

The holes last night were too large to ignore. Travis almost kills your child, yet you don't throw the man off the building in a rage, you calmly package him up and somehow carry him from the top of the building along with your child. No cameras anywnere either. Hmmmm

How did Travis know where Harrison could be found?

Instead of calling 911 for an APB to find Harrison and Travis, Dex just takes the chance that's he's right about where Travis will be. Right.

The entire feel of the episode was off IMO. I'm so done with it. It's just disgusting. They have ruined a perfectly good show with crappy writing. Another one bites the dust.

The only way it can be saved is if someone wakes up and this was all a dream, as referred to upthead.

I am one of the few who never cared if Deb found out about Dexter's dark passenger. I just liked having that little mystery in place. Now that's ruined too. Oh well. One less show for me to worry about. LOL
    cablejockey likes this.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    When Travis was slinking around Dex's house, after the nanny and Harrison left, he spotted a flyer for the kids' show. Not the best transition, but at least there was something.

I ran across this interview with an exec producer who is in serious denial about down-hill the show has gotten. He claims he had no idea of the "ick" factor on incest.
    Dexter Season 7 Post Mortem, Season 7 Preview Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    When Travis was slinking around Dex's house, after the nanny and Harrison left, he spotted a flyer for the kids' show. Not the best transition, but at least there was something.

I ran across this interview with an exec producer who is in serious denial about down-hill the show has gotten. He claims he had no idea of the "ick" factor on incest.
    Dexter Season 7 Post Mortem, Season 7 Preview Spoilers
    Thanks for the link. That article is based on an interview with Scott Buck. He sounds like an idiot. He's just lying about not knowing incest is "Icky." What a loser. I suspect the guy has some kind of incest issue. Do you recall the other show he worked on called Six Feet Under that Michael C. Hall also stared in? THat show ALSO had an incest storyline. REmember Brenda, Nate's wife, had sex with her brother before she married Nate? In that case her brother was seriously mentall ill. At least he had some excuse.

I'm sending Michael C. Hall a letter about this season and how I feel about it. The incest issue is just one of the smaller issues really. IT's mainly the uncreative, silly, implausible scripts. I'm copying all of the other producers too, including Mr. Smarty Pants, Scott Buck. LOL
    cablejockey likes this.

Well I do have to say the finale did leave me intrigued enough to watch season 7. I would have liked Colin Hanks' character better if they hadn't made him a one-note religious nut. I think they could have done better. I also hope that Deb witnessing the kill ritual broke the icky incest love spell and we don't have to watch her make googly eyes at Dexter anymore. I am glad they finally have Deb knowing about Dexter. I think that makes for some interesting possibilities. I am also more interested in the intern--what is he all about. If he is a killer, it might be interesting for two killers to play cat and mouse while being at the same police department or is he just some serial killer fan boy. Hmmmm. And I really hope they fire the writers who screwed up a season that held so much promise. I didn't hate it as much as some people, but it should have been better.
    cablejockey likes this.

It really seemed to me that the writers were grasping at ratings straws when they put up Deb's in lust with her brother s/l. If they had just met each other as adults, I could see it, but they grew up together as a family and there was never a hint of sexual feelings between them until Deb talked to the psychiatrist who was trying to figure out why Deb is such a loser in love. I think, as an armchair Dr. Freud, that her problems with men are from the bad relationship she seemed to have had with her father. He was always hanging out with Dexter--trying to teach him how to survive his desire to kill--and got left behind felt left out. She even said she became a cop because her father was one and she wanted to share something with the man!

I don't like the incest storyline but I really doubt MCH has an "incest issue". His SFU character had zero to do with the Billy/Brenda affair (in fact his character, David, was quite conservative which is why he stayed in the closet so long). He's not a writer, anyway. I think it was the wrong way to take the story - the dynamic between Deb & LaGuerta provided more than enough anguish for Deb for the season. I do think that Dex's cover finally being blown was the right ending for this season.

Anyway, I certainly am staying on board. As a fan of the books, Dex's actions, which might seem infathomable to some, are in keeping with the cold & ruthless book Dex. Didn't care much for Colin Hanks but he maybe didn't have a chance after stepping into the villain role after following seasons with master bad guys like John Lithgow.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    The writers are so uncreative and lazy that they have to use a gimmich of incest to liven up the show. So lame. The scenes with Deb and Dexter were so awkward, that it was ridiculous. Somebody lock Deb up in the psych ward.

The holes last night were too large to ignore. Travis almost kills your child, yet you don't throw the man off the building in a rage, you calmly package him up and somehow carry him from the top of the building along with your child. No cameras anywnere either. Hmmmm

Instead of calling 911 for an APB to find Harrison and Travis, Dex just takes the chance that's he's right about where Travis will be. Right.

The entire feel of the episode was off IMO. I'm so done with it. It's just disgusting. They have ruined a perfectly good show with crappy writing. Another one bites the dust.

The only way it can be saved is if someone wakes up and this was all a dream, as referred to upthead.

I am one of the few who never cared if Deb found out about Dexter's dark passenger. I just liked having that little mystery in place. Now that's ruined too. Oh well. One less show for me to worry about. LOL
    You bring up good points. The whole scene with him taking Harrison was unbelievable and how Dexter was able to convince him to just let Harrison go. What I want to know is how did Travis not see the fake-out coming? He almost deserved to die just for that. And you are right about how he could get a little boy dressed as a lion and carry the dead weight of a grown man out of the building in broad daylight without anyone seeing him. He also needs to listen to his dad and remember that rule "don't get caught" because that was just stupid to bring Travis back to the crime scene, but again, I think the show needs this kind of game changer since it led to Deb finding out. I am not ready to give up on Dexter yet, but the writers are on notice. I hope they redeem themselves in Season 7
    Last edited by Starbucks880; 12-19-2011 at 09:19 PM.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

My real issue with this season is this: Travis has been doing things that one person could plainly not do alone. Gellar was dead all along so how in holy hell did crazy-pant Travis (a) steal four horses (b) cut up a body into four mannequins (c) obtain 1000 locusts (d) string up in a kill-rig with the waitress (e) randomly mow down a chick who actually was kind of whore-y (f) kill his sister in a staged scene unnoticed in a school yard (g) kill a professor in about .09 seconds. A lot of 'net commenters bag on S3 with crazy Miguel, but at least (to the best of my recollection) that stuff seemed fairly real world, not some super psycho team doings. And I really, really like Colin Hanks. He was just given crap material. He was first the earnest follower, then went un-hinged when Dexter made him realize he killed Gellar. Okay, so he goes full-bore nuts and recruits some followers. That doesn't explain the Cheerios. Or stealing the shirt.

I was chatting with a friend earlier today about the show and the only thing that I thought really rang true to the series was Dexter's talk with Travis while he was on Dex's table. That kind of harkened back to the sense of the show I have, and we really haven't seen that since the first episode (and that table talk was 70 kinds of cheese, but at least it was fairly true to the show).

And I know it's dumb to get caught up and pissed off about a TV show, but the shows I love are my escape from the real world. Everyone has real life stress and it's not a bad thing to have an hour or two to have some escape (kids, work, pets, family, bills, whatever). When they let you down after several years of watching, it's almost like a suddenly bad boyfriend.

Plus no one can convince me that the whole incest plot isn't icky (I don't blame MCH, it's more the writer/producer team). GoT fans expected it from reading the books. With Boardwalk, it was telegraphed from the first episode. With Dexter, it's like if suddenly Alec Baldwin was Tina Fey's father and they got busy on the stage of TGS. Just no.

I just hope Doakes gets cleared. I miss his crazy eyes.
    cablejockey likes this.

I had a lot of problems with this season, but I'm not ready to give up yet. I hope they can redeem themselves for next season.

I agree with so much of what has been said here already. I watched the interview that they showed after the episode where they revealed that Gellar was dead, where they said they had kept everyone in the dark about that storyline except Edward Jame Olmos. I understand why they did it, but I think it was a mistake. I actually think Colin Hanks got a raw deal on that part, because they should have trusted him to act accordingly even if his character was supposed to believe that Gellar was speaking to him. Had he known, we might have been able to see some glimpses of his evilness before the last few episodes. It would have been much more interesting than the sheepish follower he was playing for the first 75% of the season. And an amazing actor like Olmos was completely wasted in this role, pity.
    Add to that all the stupid side story lines that seemed to go nowhere and were out of character, ugh. Angel smoking pot on the job? Never! All that time watching Quinn getting drunk and whorish? Who cares? Dexter's brother's ghost coming back to eat burritos in a hotel room and Dexter having sex with a convenience store clerk? WTF!!! All that time spent on Angel's sister made me sure she would end up being one of DDKs victim, but no - they just spent a lot of time focusing on characters we didn't care about.
    As far as Deb is concerned, I think they brought in the incestuous story line so that we will see her protect his secret next season. I don't think we will see any romance between them (God forbid), but we are meant to see how truly attached to him she is that she could never turn him in. We saw a hint of this when she decided to cover for Matthews; she is willing to lie or cover the truth for someone she truly cares about. I don't think her being "in love" with Dexter was necessary for this to happen, but that is my guess as to why they went that route. Otherwise, I don't know what the heck they were thinking.

In any case, I am hoping that they get it together again to give us an amazing final two seasons.
    cablejockey likes this.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    I don't like the incest storyline but I really doubt MCH has an "incest issue". His SFU character had zero to do with the Billy/Brenda affair (in fact his character, David, was quite conservative which is why he stayed in the closet so long). He's not a writer, anyway. I think it was the wrong way to take the story - the dynamic between Deb & LaGuerta provided more than enough anguish for Deb for the season. I do think that Dex's cover finally being blown was the right ending for this season.

Anyway, I certainly am staying on board. As a fan of the books, Dex's actions, which might seem infathomable to some, are in keeping with the cold & ruthless book Dex. Didn't care much for Colin Hanks but he maybe didn't have a chance after stepping into the villain role after following seasons with master bad guys like John Lithgow.

I'm not saying Michael C. Hall has an incest issue, but one of the other producers Scott Buck. Scott Buck was the guy the interview featured upthead. Buck's responses to the questions about this season are not credible IMO. He was also a producer with Six Feet Under. I don't know what if any input, Hall had on that show. He was a great actor there for sure.

Yes, PhoneGrrrl, I agree with you about all the stuff that Travis did alone, transporting horses with body parts attached across town in broad daylight, undetected by anyone! HE could build a gas bomb even. PLEASE! HE could do anything, EXCEPT for one thing, He wasn't good at tying hands together. LOL

Oh, and why would no one in the public not notice a grown man walking with a toddler in a lion suit carrying a cleaver down a public street? I can suspend belief to a certain extent, but I don't insult me beyond a certain point. THAT is why I think I'm so upset about this season. I feel the show INSULTED the audience and that's not okay.

+ Reply to Thread