+ Reply to Thread
Page 46 of 107 FirstFirst ... 36373839404142434445464748495051525354555696 ... LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Dexter

Re: Dexter

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4070033;
    Tonight's the night!

My husband and I were torn - Dexter or Boardwalk Empire. We looked ahead and saw that BE repeats tomorrow at 8, so it's Dexter tonight. Can't wait, either.
    Ha! I think that Sundays are going to be VERY busy for a little tvaholic, like myself! No DVR but it does help that we get an east coast feed for some shows! "Boardwalk Empire" , "Amazing Race". "Dexter" and "Mad Men". It's also nice that they're all offered on demand (maybe not "Race") too. Whew!

Dexter was pretty good last night. There were things I liked and
    things that made me scratch my head...

spoilers below for those who haven't seen it yet:

Click to see Spoiler:
    I liked the flashback scenes with Dexter meeting Rita for their first
    date. Nice touch that he picked the place because he was stalking a
    kill.

I didn't buy the Deb and Quinn coupling at all..too sudden and
    weird...even if Deb was acting out...I think Quinn would have put the
    brakes on under the circumstances.

Also, I didn't buy people being suspicious of Dexter for lack of
    emotion...It's perfectly normal for people confronted with that violent
    scene and sudden death of a spouse to be numb and in shock for several
    days...weeks maybe even...

Walking around zombie-like the way Dexter was ought to have been seen
    as one of several very normal reactions.

I didn't buy Astor's over-the-top blaming Dexter. Astor's "I can see
    you don't even care at all" line didn't feel realistic at all. Astor
    was going through some pre-teen angst last season but her and Cody's
    relationship with Dexter has always felt really positive and good. She
    even told Dexter last season that it was okay for him to be a dork
    once when he apologized for pushing her into the pool...

Lastly, Dexter's feeling he didn't have a mask for grief was
    unrealistic too...Not only did he absolutely genuinely care for rita,
    but he would have had practice after his mother's death when he was a
    teenager and after Harry's death as a young man.
    Ain't Love Grand!

I agree with Marlap. A lot of last night's show was not true to the characters! Rita's daughter's outburst was unrealistic, people jumping to conclusions about Dexter being suspect seemed a tad hasty--the only real character moment was the forensic tech commenting Rita's nudity. Did they get new writers? Did the old ones get amnesia?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the writing was way off. I must say the premire was a let down for me. I realize they are trying to portray Dexter as a sociopath, but they have shown him get more upset about losing his keys than the murder of his wife. It just didn't seem believeable IMO.

None of the characters seemed to act like themselves. Does the writer even know these characters? It didn't feel like it.

For the most part, I have never seen Dexter take out a murderer that really bothered me, however, him killing the rude guy was sickening. None of the surrounding circumstances justify what he did. I disagree with his father saying it was a human thing to do. What? No it wasn't. It was the most inhumane thing he has ever done. I didn't like it at all.

I hope the show gets back on track. If he continues this way, I may sit out this season. I can't believe I'm saying that. I really love the old shows. Maybe, they are just getting off to a slow start.

Oh, whose name was the storage unit in that Dexter burned?

Yeah, he's all mad at himself for causing (indirectly) the death of an innocent (Rita's) but then turns around and kills a rude guy totally breaking his code and killing another innocent??? Makes no sense.

Plus the Quinn suspicious of Dexter storyline is stale...It's just Sgt. Doakes part 2.

Oh yeah...and where was JoBeth Williams? Rita's mom? Not at her own daughter's funeral? I don't like that the writers assumed the audience wouldn't remember her and wonder where she was. They should have at least mentioned her and that she couldn't be there because of ...(fill in decent enough excuse--in a coma? stranded in the jungles of Brazil?)

I have hopes it was just a rocky start and that the season will pick up.

(pretty please with sugar on top Dexter producers and writers!)
    Last edited by marlap; 09-27-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    Ain't Love Grand!

Mad Men was by far the better show last night. It's first show back for this season was a little off too, but boy they picked it up real quick and it has turned into the best season ever!

I still have high hopes for Dexter this season...I love this show! just slightly worried...
    Ain't Love Grand!

Vidiot 13 is a Winner Champion Poppy Fields's Avatar

I thought Astor's attitude and accusations were understandable, given that Dexter sent them Disney World knowing her mother was dead. Bad call, Dex.

None of the characters seemed to act like themselves.
    Totally agree. I think Rita's death put them all on an edge I hope we don't have to revisit.

During the flashback, Dexter excuses himself from his first dinner date with Rita to go out in the parking lot and incapacitate (and stow) his next murder victim. My husband asked if I thought the victim was Rita's ex. Dexter told her he knew she was having troubles with him.
    "Blessed is the lonesome pioneer." -- Judee Sill (1973, "There's a Rugged Road")

I don't know-the way everyone was acting felt a bit normal. Everyone was thrown for a complete loop, so I didn't expect everyone to be in character. It even made sense to me that Quinn doesn't trust Dexter. Quinn and Dexter don't have the best past history. It does, however, feel like Doakes pt. 2 as someone said-though I doubt that Quinn will be as "innocent" as Doakes was. Quinn always did seem to leave a bit of a slime trail, and Dexter already caught him with his hand in the cookie jar.

The Masuka line seemed a bit "icky" but it did serve a purpose-those blood analyst guys just don't see these scenes the way the average person does, not even the average homocide detective who has seen a ton. I think it's the reason why some don't find Dexter's behavior that strange. Quinn's deal is far more personal with Dexter.

Dexter's last kill seemed to be Dexter moving towards a much darker side. His conscience died when Rita died. It gives him a reason to step outside of the code with less justification. It's that whole line they showed in the upcoming episode of "Dexter doing what makes Dexter feel good". He gives this smile that just lets us know that the kills are going to be quick and much more satisfying. I think Harry's code is going to become very blurry to him. Harry didn't even show up until the end of the episode. No guidance. Dexter was running on his own emotions and was reckless. I think we're in for a wild ride of Deter doing what makes him feel better, Harry trying to get him back to following the code, and Rita's memory haunting him, forcing him to need a "fix" by going after another brutal kill.
    Last edited by KeepItReal; 09-27-2010 at 11:04 PM.
    "Worrying does not take away tomorrow's troubles, it takes away today's peace".

-Unknown Author-

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy Fields;4071265;
    During the flashback, Dexter excuses himself from his first dinner date with Rita to go out in the parking lot and incapacitate (and stow) his next murder victim. My husband asked if I thought the victim was Rita's ex. Dexter told her he knew she was having troubles with him.
    Paul Bennett died in season 2 in prison. Dexter did mess him up with drugs which put him back in jail, but the prey stalked on their first date wasn't Rita's husband. He was probably in jail for beating Rita at the time of their first date.

While this first episode seemed a bit slower than last season, it is just the start and there's no big baddie like Trinity. The only thing that I'm kind of not loving is Quinn--it does feel like Doakes all over again.

+ Reply to Thread