+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 107 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718192021222324252666 ... LastLast
Like Tree147Likes

Thread: Dexter

In my own little corner, in my own little chair...

Re: Dexter

The new season starts in 4 days! I can hardly wait!

So what did you think? Looks interesting!

Interesting start. But I was really taken aback by the preview of Rita saying that she is pregnant. Yikes!

Did you see the show? I wasn't so sure of Jimmy Smits' involvement in the show, but it looks like it's going to be good. Can't wait 'til next week.

I'm not crazy about the introduction of a baby-Dex storyline. Not sure where they're going with it, but who wants a devoted daddy Dexter? Not me. I should probably stop comparing the show to the books - which are much darker - but the 3rd book introduced a storyline of (I'm putting it in spoilers for those who may not have read the books)
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Cody turns out to be a budding killer himself, and Astor is somewhat inclined the same way, so Dex takes them under his wing the same way Harry did for him
    . The writers for the show don't seem interested in taking things in that direction, which is too bad, IMO. I guess it would be a bit too edgy for some viewers.

I don't see where they're going with Smits' character, either. Is he going to take the place of Doakes by being the thorn in Dexter's side or is he just going to be a love interest for Maria?

Oh, and I hate Deb's new haircut. It makes her look too severe, combined with the very tailored clothing she wears.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I actually like Deb's new hair, AJane. Her hair looked so stringy and "college coed" before. This, at least, can be worn in a way that is more professional...of course she'd have to cut down on the swearing for that to happen too!

I'm so happy the show is back! I missed Dex. I'm not sure about Jimmy Smits either, although I'll admit I was skeptical to begin with.

I was sure someone at the crime scene (Freebo's house) was going to recognize Dexter as the guy who came to buy drugs from Freebo. Of course, Dexter will never actually get caught or the show will be over, but I love that they make us worry anyway.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3207637;
    I don't see where they're going with Smits' character, either. Is he going to take the place of Doakes by being the thorn in Dexter's side or is he just going to be a love interest for Maria?
    Do we have any idea how long he is supposed to be on the show? Is it for the entire season or just a few episodes?

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;3208134;
    Do we have any idea how long he is supposed to be on the show? Is it for the entire season or just a few episodes?
    I haven't heard anything concrete. According to imdb,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    he's only on for 3 episodes. If course, this could be incomplete information.

I, for one, would be happy if he was on the show for a short time. I don't want him overshadowing Michael C. Hall at all
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

If it's only for a few episodes, he may just be around until his brother's case is "resolved" - just long enough to be a major thorn in Dexter's side and maybe he'll have to be dealt with.

I was thinking about getting the Dexter books, but I'm afraid it will take away from my enjoyment of the show - I usually hate it when a movie or TV show veers too far from the original storyline. Any opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Blues Songstres;3208139;
    I was thinking about getting the Dexter books, but I'm afraid it will take away from my enjoyment of the show - I usually hate it when a movie or TV show veers too far from the original storyline. Any opinions?
    You'll find that the characters in the series are very different from those in the books. Deb and Rita are the only ones who are similar to their book characters. LaGuerta, Doakes, Angel, Vince...you will recognize the names and that's about it. The Lila storyline is non-existent in the books, and there's no Agent Lundy (though there's a somewhat similar character).

A glaring difference between the books and the series is Dexter's motivation for killing - the series makes him out to be some kind of avenger, but Lindsay's Dexter is controlled by an "inner voice" that Dexter calls his Dark Passenger. I really enjoy the TV series, but I think it would be a lot more interesting had they kept the Dark Passenger plotline. I know Michael C. Hall could have pulled off the original, darker Dexter, and I admit I'm somewhat disappointed that he isn't being given the chance by the writers for the show.

Also, the murders in the books are considerably more gruesome. If that doesn't bother you - then I would most definitely check out the books. A new one has just come out and I'm anxiously awaiting the Canadian release date.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Thanks, AJane. I think I will check them out.

+ Reply to Thread