+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 94 123456789101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Ugly Betty: ABC

Ugly Betty: ABC

I'm midway through the first episode, and already I can say its the best offering I've seen from the Fall lineup.

Including existing programming

I liked it! I was a little surprised at how many parallels there were to the movie "The Devil Wears Prada". I know this predates that novel (um, at least I think so). It was a little odd to see so many similarities. But I like the lead actress and I was entertained enough to never flip back over to Survivor.

The promo for next week looks really good. I can't wait!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I thought it was hilarious. I found it funny that Selma Hayek was the actress in the novella playing on their tv, since she's the producer of this show.

It took me a few minutes to realize that Gina Gershon was playing "Fabia" that blonde woman with the dog.

Overall, a very funny show. I've seen the actress that plays Betty in something called "Real Women Have Curves" and wasn't she in that Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movie?
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7 View Post
    It took me a few minutes to realize that Gina Gershon was playing "Fabia" that blonde woman with the dog.
    Oh my gosh, you're right! I just kept thinking "Donatella Vercace" and not really analyzing her face. Hilarious!

Overall, a very funny show. I've seen the actress that plays Betty in something called "Real Women Have Curves" and wasn't she in that Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants movie?
    Right, that's the one.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I liked it! I was a little surprised at how many parallels there were to the movie "The Devil Wears Prada"
    Happily, my local CBS affilate runs their programming an hour earlier than the norm in order to compete in the presumably more lucrative 10 versus 11 O'Clock news market, so I don't need to choose between Betty and Survivor. Based on what I saw this evening, its an easy enough choice climbing aboard Betty and kicking CSI to the curb until reruns kick in. (I don't want to get sucked back into taping show mode)

I haven't seen (or read?) "The Devil Wears Prada". The flick I was drawing my comparisions from is "Working Girl". That choice dissipated but didn't evaporate by the end of the episode. Betty's boss doesn't compare with Weaver's character, but there are others that appear to. I'm projecting a 'We against them' alliance and perhaps more between Betty and her boss. She's already enabled him to refamiliarize himself with his heart after who knows how long of allowing another organ to reign supreme. I'm anticipating before too long Betty's proximity will have him hankering for a woman possessing more meat both on her bod and in the form of her spirit, even if it isn't Betty (Lose the shlub, Betty).

Like Griffin's character in Working Girl, Betty possesses a breadth of knowledge, as well as the capacity and self initiative of putting it to good use.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7
    I found it funny that Selma Hayek was the actress in the novella playing on their tv, since she's the producer of this show.

I kept trying to place a name to Selma Hayek's face, but couldn't. I missed the credits. I like the t.v. program element, I hope its an ongoing part of the show but that she remains there, rather than working into the script more directly.

Departing from topic momentarily, I never understood what I perceived as Gina Gershon's ability to escape the stench of "Showgirls" that stuck to Elizabeth Berkley. Didn't seem to harm Kyle MacLachlan either, not that I imagine he'd care, he'd probably revel in it, striking me as rather twisted to begin with.

Back to Ugly Betty, a couple of suggestive lines stood out.

Magazine magnate father walking in and telling sonny "I'm sorry to interrupt your dictation, but that is not the way you run a magazine". That was a good line, and I can imagine someone with the presumed life experience of the father being able to deliver that exact droll smackdown on the fly.

As I can envision someone like the receptionist with that exceptional manner of moving down the hall stating something like "They don't call him The Tripod because he's a photographer, if you catch my drift".

That was a truly wretched get-up they had Betty don for the fashion shoot. Brownie points to boss boy for latching on to the wrongness of the whole sordid scene and calling for an end to it, even though he and the photographer were pleased at the thought before Betty was drafted into the role of the suggestion having the Betty resigning effect that actually doing it brought about. Boss' concience kicked in late, but still deserves recognition and validation.

As does Betty's brother, for his supportive validating manner toward his sis.
    Last edited by Leftcoaster; 09-29-2006 at 03:53 AM.

I agree with you guys, this show is great. One of the more involving debuts of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by suncat7 View Post
    I thought it was hilarious. I found it funny that Selma Hayek was the actress in the novella playing on their tv, since she's the producer of this show.
    I love Salma, and have been looking forward to watching and supporting this new series of hers. I knew she'd have a cameo in the pilot, but I wasn't expecting her to appear the way she did. When I saw her on the TV, I cried laughing. It was not only funny, but it was a nice way for her to acknowledge the beginning of her career, which was on telenovelas.
    Quote Originally Posted by suncat7
    Yes, America Ferrera. I love her! And she did very well here.

I think the role of Betty is an incredibly difficult part to play. Betty is the heart and soul of the show, and if you don't buy her, if you don't believe her, if you don't feel for her, if you don't start empathizing with her, the whole thing falls apart.

America was able to display both what's vulnerable and strong about Betty at the same time, which is no mean feat. I'm so glad to see this actress in such a high-profile network series, and for that reason alone I'd wish this show success.

But the other performances are great too.
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Oh my gosh, you're right! I just kept thinking "Donatella Vercace" and not really analyzing her face. Hilarious!
    I thought Gina Gershon was hilarious! And yes, almost unrecognizeable. I am a fan of hers though--yes, even from Showgirls (shh, don't tell anybody, that is my favorite "bad" movie ever ).

I am curious, has anyone else here seen the original series this is based on, "Betty La Fea"?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

This is actually a remake of the Spanish soap opera "Yo Soy Betty, La Fea".

I like America Ferrera so I wanted to watch this version. It was actually pretty good. It had so many of the novella aspects to it.....if you've ever seen one, you know what I mean.

Hey, suncat, thanks for pointing out that Gina Gershon was playing "Fabia", I never would have gotten that. (That's my suncat, always on top of things!!! You go girl!!) And I had just seen her on Showgirls on VH1. Ok, I wasn't watching that........I just happened to be channel surfing and came across it once or twice. I swear!!! lol

Oh, and Leftcoaster, Justin, the boy, is not Betty's brother. That's her nephew.

ETA: Oops. Sorry, Snowflakegirl, I didn't read the whole tread to see that you had already mentioned that it was based off of "Betty, la fea".

I was surprisingly pleased. It was so cute and funny. I related to Betty so much. I'm not exactly drop dead gorgeous nor am I a size 0 like Eva Longoria and because of that, I got shut out of a lot of things. I was constantly teased and ridiculed and treated like dirt because I wasn't gorgeous and not in the "A" crowd. So I felt for Betty big time!
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl View Post
    I was surprisingly pleased. It was so cute and funny. I related to Betty so much. I'm not exactly drop dead gorgeous nor am I a size 0 like Eva Longoria and because of that, I got shut out of a lot of things. I was constantly teased and ridiculed and treated like dirt because I wasn't gorgeous and not in the "A" crowd. So I felt for Betty big time!
    I understand and can relate to what you said. Ugly Betty has the making for a terrific show, a lot of real-life people will be able to relate to her. It was better than I had imagined (and better I think than the Devil Wore Prada).
    DevilTwin
    Trekker and Geocacher

I used to watch Betty La Fea but not religiously, then the cable company decided to drop the channel one day. Grrr! The lead actress was more of a drop dead gorgeous actress that they made up to look ugly by giving her big eyebrows, bad teeth, a bad haircut, and big glasses. I really expected her to be magically transformed one day in a makeover. I don't know if that happened plot-wise, but I swear that seemed like the whole point of the series.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 94 123456789101151 ... LastLast