+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 94 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181959 ... LastLast

Thread: Ugly Betty: ABC

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2118200;
    The "dorky" accounting guy was also very cute.
    Cute? I thought he was HOT!!! The boss himbo is not at all sexy imo, but the accounting guy was, totally.

Btw, I love Vanessa Williams' character, Wilhemina. It's nice to see all these older actors get great roles on TV, like all those great actors on Boston Legal, for instance.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvest;2129274;
    Cute? I thought he was HOT!!! The boss himbo is not at all sexy imo, but the accounting guy was, totally.
    Yup, I stand corrected. Hot, not cute! You could tell they were trying to make him nerdy, but he's a cutie pie. OOps, I mean hottie!

The boss guy is OK looking, but he's such a sleaze (in the sleeping with multi women way) that I'm totally not into him. I actually feel sorry for Amanda...

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2129388;
    Yup, I stand corrected. Hot, not cute! You could tell they were trying to make him nerdy, but he's a cutie pie. OOps, I mean hottie!

The boss guy is OK looking, but he's such a sleaze (in the sleeping with multi women way) that I'm totally not into him. I actually feel sorry for Amanda...
    It's not so much how he looks as the vibe I get. No sexy from the boss, major sexy from the accountant! I'm just glad to know that it's not just that one is my "type," but that others see this too

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Uhm, I was wondering if anyone else caught that Henry from accounting was in costume in the Halloween episode? He was dressed as nerdy Clark Kent, which he revealed when he opened up his shirt and there was his Superman costume. This leaves open the possiblity that he's not really so nerdy, yet still found Betty attractive. I don't know but I'm just saying...
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Yes, I think I made a Clark Kent comment around the time the show aired. But the way he acts is not the way a confident "ladies man" acts. He acts like he's a nerd and unsure of himself (which is how I think they're portraying him). I mean gees, Walter seems to have more confidence than he does (and he shouldn't!).

Quote Originally Posted by Chorita KaBoom;2129687;
    Uhm, I was wondering if anyone else caught that Henry from accounting was in costume in the Halloween episode? He was dressed as nerdy Clark Kent, which he revealed when he opened up his shirt and there was his Superman costume. This leaves open the possiblity that he's not really so nerdy, yet still found Betty attractive. I don't know but I'm just saying...
    Except for the fact that the "S" on his costume was a dollar sign, I guess indicating he's Super Accountant. Which is a bit nerdy.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2129895;
    Except for the fact that the "S" on his costume was a dollar sign, I guess indicating he's Super Accountant. Which is a bit nerdy.
    But totally endearing.
    I wish you had a favourite beauty spot that you loved secretly/'Cos it was on a hidden bit that nobody else could see/Basically, I wish that you loved me/I wish that you needed me/I wish that you knew when I said two sugars, actually I meant three. - Kate Nash, "Nicest Thing"

I love this show! I love that the hereoin of a show on tv is not a model thin, barbie doll beauty..but a kind of awkward, normal build girl with glasses..kind of refreshing
    Clay Aiken "when everyones working on it change isnt impossible, its inevetible"

Quote Originally Posted by antmANNfan;2096910;
    The way it's filmed is BEAUTIFUL and so artistic. Plus the colours are extremely vibrant and I love that.
    The colors and visual elements were one of the first elements that made me enjoy the program as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins;2104365;
    Is anyone else uncomfortable with the accurate 'stereotypes' portraying Hispanic culture? I've worked with Hispanics my entire adult life, and had the honor of being invited to their homes, weddings and parties. Their life is so richer and more colorful than so many gringos lives that I know of, but I'm wondering if some people watch this and feel it's typecasting the culture?

In Chicago, we have loads of Hispanic newswomen, and one evening, they did a news piece on the different look that Hispanic women have vs. their "white" counterparts. The Hispanic women were saying that "we aren't afraid to use color on our faces and wear fashions that show off our figures" wear as the White newscasters were so...bland, by contrast. But, I worry that some Hispanic people are cringing when they show such an obvious Barrio type of existance on the show and don't show gentrified Hispanic people, too. Just a thought.
    It wouldn't be at all surprising for some Hispanics to be less than pleased, but I think they'd probably be in the minority. The show isn't making any attempt to portray them negatively. While I'd agree that if they have the loads of Hispanic newswomen you mention they ought to include some that have embraced the gentrified look, theres no reason whatsoever to portray people as they aren't.

Aside from the stereotyped sister and tramp next door neighbor that I didn't and still don't much care for, the Hispanic element in Betty seem to me to be a reflection on where they reside rather than their culture. The sister dragging her line of goods down to Betty's workplace along with the gastly cutout? That would never have flied, and Betty should've shown some spine and said absolutely not.

I don't anticipate any dramatic makeover for Betty. Though I'd argue that one dresses according to the workplace environment they specifically occupy if they wish to succeed or sometimes just hang on, Betty and her Queens (or whatever borough she lives) look was one of the primary reasons for her hire. Having the top dog validate her by hiring Betty without even a casual aside mention of expected appearance validated her existing look in my, and I'll bet Betty's mind as well. Still seems unrealistic though, unless quirky is embraced more than I'd have expected on the exposure level her position places her.

But then again, it was the cartoonish over the top quality of the show that was a big reason for liking it to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2120357;
    leftcoaster I have to disagree with you about the nephew being too young to be obsessive.
    I work with kids and from the time they are less than 1 most of them are obsessive about something, it may be dinosaurs, dolls or trucks and cars.
    Children do play along gender lines, it's not sexist, it's scientifically true. As far as all of the hinting that the nephew is gay - well, he very well may be. Many scientists believe and are trying to prove that homosexuality is a gene - so it's present from birth. It's nice that he has grown up in a household that has made him so secure that he has zero problem expressing himself and his full personality. It says much more about the family than the child - children do what they do.
    Well, theres obsessive and obsessive, I suppose. The one I was thinking of was totally connected to the gay vibe I was getting. Though I just mentioned cartoonish quality above, the its all so hunky dory (his manner) its not even noted within his family that the nephew is an odd duck just seems totally removed from what I'd expect in the real world. Watched an episode of Brothers & Sisters for the first time the other night, they had a life isn't always like a box of chocolates comment from gay brother.

I'm likely underestimating the kids age. I took him to be 11 maybe, I suppose he's probably 13 or 14 instead. Still seems young to me to show him as being so no worries flighty aside from the cautionary advise from Mark. Still early in the show though, and while I was thinking initially it was straight comedy, it sure turned dark all of a sudden, with Wilhemina's relationship (lack of) with her daughter and Betty's dad having killed a man.

I've probably said it before, but regarding the question of nature vs nurture, I say it is nature, nurture, and environment. Sometimes singly, sometimes combined; but I'll never and I do mean never buy into a scientific or ideological stance that there is one causal reason that fits all individual cases. I know people I'd place in each of the three causal categories I mentioned.

Still wish Betty would dump the boyfriend, wish Betty's boss would kick blondie to the curb, and am inceasingly liking Wilhemina, something I didn't expect.

The one plotline I'm so over is the "Fey" subplot -- as in is it really Fey, or is it a big surprise for the viewers? It doesn't interest me in the least and I wish they'd just resolve it or end it!

+ Reply to Thread