+ Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 94 FirstFirst ... 32727374757677787980818283848586878889909192 ... LastLast

Thread: Ugly Betty: ABC

Re: Ugly Betty: Thursday on ABC

What annoyed me about last night's episode was the way that everybody in Betty's family, including Ignacio, expected her to drop everything related to her career for Hilda's. Hilda's shop is her business, and the grand opening wasn't a family celebration that Betty ignored. It's unfair to expect Betty to neglect her own job in favor of Hilda's, and Ignacio should have gotten that. Next week's previews make the next episode look just as annoying.

And although I wasn't expecting the heart attack, in many ways it was predictable that just as soon as Betty gave herself permission to do what SHE wanted without feeling guilty, something happens that's sure to inflict guilt. My husband said, "Boy, the writers sure like to slam her, don't they?"
    Last edited by dcamonkeys; 01-09-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcamonkeys;3271672;
    What annoyed me about last night's episode was the way that everybody in Betty's family, including Ignacio, expected her to drop everything related to her career for Hilda's.
    Yea, I did find that annoying also. I "rationalized" it by thinking that Betty has a history on the show of running off to deal with all sorts of work stuff. So since they had been supporting her work stuff for quite some time they thought that she should take a moment to support Hilda's work stuff. I know, it doesn't really make it any less annoying.

If the actress that plays Hilda is pregnant I just hope they don't try to make it the coach she had the affair with. That would be a terrible storyline! On the other hand, if they do want to work it in they better hook Hilda up with someone pretty quick!

Like Ralph Machio?
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;3273597;
    Like Ralph Machio?
    Excatly!

This last episode was pretty predictible. But like that I get to see more of Mark.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

From what I've read, they won't be writing the pregnancy into Hilda's storyline. But you never know what the writers will do.

At first I also didn't like the way Betty's family got upset at her for needing to take care of work business, but I can see how they would feel that way. They've done a lot for Betty regarding her work and they fixed up her apartment when she found out what a dump it was. They just wanted to know she would be there when they needed her for the important things in their life too.

On another note, going way back to the time when Ignacio was in Mexico and trying to settle the feud with the man who was first married to his wife, at the end of that season they showed Ignacio and the man's son I think and then a gunshot rang out. I don't think they ever cleared up what happened when the new season started, did they? That's been in the back of my mind and bugging me since either they didn't follow through or somehow I missed it.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

What annoyed me was that the company couldn't understand "Family obligation." I'm sorry but my family is always going to come before some stupid company "mixer".
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;3274067;
    What annoyed me was that the company couldn't understand "Family obligation." I'm sorry but my family is always going to come before some stupid company "mixer".
    I kinda chalked that up to the fact that the mixer was for the YETI program, not Mode. I think that YETI lady thinks that her students should all be showing that commitment to the industry and personal ambition is all that matters. She doesn't seem to be much for compromise!

This episode annoyed me too! I thought that Hilda was incredibly selfish and Papi's guilt trip was just stupid! It's like they're sabotaging her career. Betty acknowledged that the party was important to Hilda and it's not like she left her high and dry. She didn't have to give her the samples from the closet after all. Even though she left early at least she showed up! Did they want Betty to get fired or lose the opportunity to stay in the YETI program? By the way, I didn't think the episode was predictable at all. I was surprised that they got away with getting the dress and that Willie let them in her party. I was also pleasantly surprised that the Willie/Connor/Daniel/Molly thing worked out the way it did. I had a feeling that Connor/Molly were both equally getting cold feet but when Connor showed up at Willie's he seemed relieved. As much fun as it is when Willie is being bad, I also enjoy when her love life works out for her (when it's genuine like the hunky guy in the cowboy boots in a previous season, not when she's scheming like with Mr Mead). It's nice to see the soft side of her every once in awhile and to see that she is human underneath the cold exterior and just wants to be loved like the rest of us. It makes her seem like a real person and not just some shallow character on a TV. I also think that no one could play the part with as depth as Vanessa Williams. We love her when she's evil and we love her when she's a normal person. Now the heart attack thing, I wasn't surprised but only because they showed it in the preview so it was obvious and predictable, just like the previous poster's DH said, they definitely don't make things easy for Betty.
    Last edited by stacerace; 01-12-2009 at 05:32 AM.
    Favorite Dr Oliverisms

"We were about to have sex not move out of the state"

"Shh. Okay, stop. Just let me"

HIlda and her father should've been more sympathetic towards Betty and her work situation. Betty wanted to be at Hilda's grand opening Salon party but she was having a crisis at work otherwise she would've spend the time at home with Hilda and the family. Betty's been trying to move ahead in her career, she had to repair her mistakes.

Family should come first but sometimes they have to be understanding of one's job opportunities and career.

Wilhemnia, I like her softer side. She can be devious but sometimes her bark is worse than her bite. She has a good side.
    Last edited by graycat11; 01-12-2009 at 03:44 PM.

FORT Regular

I agree with all of you. While we all wish we could be with our families whenever we desired, sacrifices are to be made. Plus, Hilda being the hostess of her party would be socializing with the guests-- just how much was Betty needed?

I like Wilhelmina and Connor together-- Daniel and Molly, not so much. Daniel's always been shown as a playboy who mostly digs models, so him being with a plain Jane like Molly is not believable, and lastly, I just don't like her much. There are characters that I instantly take a liking to, and then there are others who I just don't. She's the latter.

With that said, I love the song that was played at the end when the new couples started kissing each other. I looked up the song and have been listening to it ever since.

+ Reply to Thread