+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 94 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161757 ... LastLast

Thread: Ugly Betty: ABC

I'm not saying she should be a 'clacker' clone I'm just sayin' dress to your title - she's the personal assistant to the magazine's publisher for heaven's sake!
    In administrative assistant school they teach acceptable forms of dress.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I really love this show.....it's nice to see that not everyone has to "fit" the mold of what people "think" they should be. I loved the episode where all the girls in the office where making fun of Betty's bunny and messed it up. It would have been so much easier for Betty to just leave and let them have what they want, but she stood her ground and stood up for herself. That takes guts, no matter the situation. It's too bad this world isn't full of more people like her.

Premium Member
    You know, I record and watch this show, and I still don't know why. I guess it's not completely horrible, even if extremely predictable.

But I just can't imagine someone not changing their style of clothing to blend in just a little bit better at work - I've seen it too many times in real life that I just expect it to be the norm even on a tv show, especially considering she is aware enough to know why she's being laughed at, and you think she'd realize it would cause so much less stress for her, and she might actually be taken more serious and further her career like she wants to. I think that gag will get old each week, people pointing and laughing each day she walks into the office wearing clothes not even her own family would consider appealing.

That said, I find I enjoy the scenes with Betty interacting at home better than her at work.

But I do like how it seems almost like there is some sort of connection to Ricky Gervais with this show - - I noticed the seamstress Christina is played by Ashley Jensen who was in 'Extras' with Ricky and Lucy Davis who played Dawn on The Office (UK) played the Fashion TV anchor, at least for that one earlier episode. Cool stuff.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I get the feeling, though, that unless Betty dropped about 30 pounds, the clackers would make fun of her no matter what she wore. She's too short, she's too "fat" and she doesn't fit in fashionwise no matter what. Don't you guys remember kids in school who were perfectly normal looking and yet they were still made fun of just 'cause? That's the vibe I get off of Betty.

And besides the awful semi-hooker outfit she wore during her makeover before she went to meet the photographer last week, I think Betty dresses in a professional manner. She CAN'T afford to spend all the money she makes on trendy clothes 'cause I get the feeling that she uses that money to help her family (with rent, her father's meds etc.). And if she wore knockoffs from H&M or wherever, the clackers would mock her for daring to even try to look like them.

As for her friend who works in the Closet, I think they established early on that all the clothes there are size 0 and size 2. Betty is probably a size 8 (I doubt America Fererra is larger than a size 6 in real life). So unless the friend ripped the clothes apart and created something new for her, there's nothing she could wear (except maybe for the shoes and accessories).

I have toured the offices of the two big Chicago newspapers and was actually surprised that the fashion editors were fairly youthful but dressed kind of dumpy. I'm assuming they were well-made pieces, but the clothes looked very normal--not at all high fashion like I was expecting. Granted, a Chicago newspaper doesn't have a high-end fashion section like Vogue/Mode, but I'd say Betty was dressed better than the majority of the staff there.

Anyhow, I like the fish out of water premise, even if it is far fetched. And I wouldn't be surprised Salyma Hayek's making appearances--it's her show, after all, and she knows she can only help the Sweeps ratings!

FORT Fogey
    Hasn't Salma already been on it, as one of the characters on the telenovella that Betty's nephew watches?

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2109018;
    Hasn't Salma already been on it, as one of the characters on the telenovella that Betty's nephew watches?
    Yes, on the debut episode. Sorry--I should've clarified my post. I meant in a larger capacity on the show.

FORT Fogey
    Initially at least, I read somewhere that she said that's the only way she'll ever appear. But you are right - that could change if ABC is pushing for a ratings stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka;2109036;
    Initially at least, I read somewhere that she said that's the only way she'll ever appear. But you are right - that could change if ABC is pushing for a ratings stunt.
    Personally, I would be happy if her appearances were limited to those telenovelas. Not that I wouldn't welcome the opportunity to see her in larger guest spots...I just get such a kick out of seeing her in those over-the-top soap operas! She's adorable!

I didn't mean for the Closet woman outfit Betty from the closet (with their stupid double zeros) Betty asked her for help ... putting together an acceptable outfit and she refused
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2109011;
    And if she wore knockoffs from H&M or wherever, the clackers would mock her for daring to even try to look like them.
    I can't imagine Betty opting for an attempted makeover. Were she to do so it would alter the show in much less than pleasing fashion.

Her "Thats not who we are" reminder to the nephew I'd assumed was her brother applies here as well. That is just not who Betty is.

I liked the mixer, and the blindered perspectives of Betty's back stabbing co-workers that seemed so at odds with what appeared to be the reality of what took place, the sneaky snake behaviour of the thieving competitor that stole the layout idea aside.

Liked the assistants banding together in defense, liked frizzy haired dude assistant's "Neither do I....OK, thats a lie" reply to his own comment.

DIDN'T care for the home scene portion. Didn't like whoever he is dad appearing to sell out Betty as a distraction to steal sips of medically proscribed coffee. Didn't like Betty's cheater ex inclusion in tamale night. Don't believe at all that that type of relationship lapse should be put so easily into the past.

I also don't much care for the nephews character portrayal. His age seems a little young to me to be quite so fixated on the fashion world to the extent it is. The show seems to be a trailblazer in that regard. I can't discount the possibility that my perceptional bias is simply in play, but that "I'm sure your nephew is sick of the closet now anyway" sounds like its delivering not just one message, and there doesn't seem anything unintentional about that.

Seemingly sexualizing the character in that manner strikes me as inappropriate. That still exists in the real world as a serious theme, reflected in the assistant's advice on the order of being who you are, dressing how you will, and learning how to run fast.

For one that young, it isn't character development or characterization I believe ought to be presented on what appears so far to be a predominantly comedy themed program. Doing so as its being done is a diservice to those in the real world confronting simultaneously their perceived differentness from many if not most of their peers in addition to the manner in which others relate to them.

Nothing funny about it.

+ Reply to Thread