+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 94 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151656 ... LastLast

Thread: Ugly Betty: ABC

I'll bring the wine and some sparkling juice for Lois.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    I'll bring the wine and some sparkling juice for Lois.
    Thanks for remembering! And I'm warning you all--I may hog all the Raisinettes!

That really would be an awesome lineup...I'd like to see that tonight actually!

Quote Originally Posted by GossipGirlANTM;2097720;
    Loves it...loves this show!
    Even more...I love America Ferrera.
    What a task it must have been to make her Ugly.
    I needed to find a current photo of America, so that I could remember how pretty she really is.

I absolutely ADORE this show! Rewatched all eps several times, thanks to abc.com. And I find the title appropriate, for two different reasons:

1) The Ugly Duckling is a story about a baby fowl feeling ugly next to it's siblings, baby ducks. However, as we find out later, the 'duckling' turns into a beautiful SWAN. The story wouldn't have the same feel if it was called The Beautiful Swan.

2) Don't most femals feel 'ugly' in some respects? They hate their hair or their eye color or their hips or the lack or surplus of their breasts. The fashion industry and our obsession with beauty breeds these insecurities...just look at Betty's sister and the hoochie neighbor lady...Glamazons, to be sure.

The fact that Betty has received so much unconditional love from her family and also is secure, is the ONLY reason why she can stand the chronic abuse of MODE. And the fact that her boss is finally in her corner.

Is anyone else uncomfortable with the accurate 'stereotypes' portraying Hispanic culture? I've worked with Hispanics my entire adult life, and had the honor of being invited to their homes, weddings and parties. Their life is so richer and more colorful than so many gringos lives that I know of, but I'm wondering if some people watch this and feel it's typecasting the culture?

In Chicago, we have loads of Hispanic newswomen, and one evening, they did a news piece on the different look that Hispanic women have vs. their "white" counterparts. The Hispanic women were saying that "we aren't afraid to use color on our faces and wear fashions that show off our figures" wear as the White newscasters were so...bland, by contrast. But, I worry that some Hispanic people are cringing when they show such an obvious Barrio type of existance on the show and don't show gentrified Hispanic people, too. Just a thought.

Below, is a recent interview with America:http://www.collegebound.net/go-girl/celeb/america.html

"AMERICA FERRERA, star of movies like "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" and "Real Women Have Curves" (both available on DVD), stands out in the crowd of incredibly shrinking, size 0 Hollywood starlets, thanks to her healthy body. And because of her involvement with the uniquely ME! The Girl Scout/Dove Self-Esteem Program, the subject of body image is hard to avoid, even though it's one of those issues that can be even harder to talk about.

But the 21-year-old has no problem being candid. "The difficulties in learning to be comfortable in your own skin -- these are the issues that have been very prevalent in my career," she says. "But as a female, I know I have more than the visual I give."

It's true -- America is intelligent, funny, and clearly passionate about other things in life besides her jean size. So why do two of her most widely known roles -- Carmen in "Pants" and Ana in "Real Women" -- deal so heavily with weight issues? "Image and body image are so prevalent in our society; to make a movie about teenage girls without those concerns wouldn't be real," America explains. "I don't know how to relate to somebody who doesn't have insecurities, and I don't just mean physical ones."

Even so, ridding herself of insecurities has helped America balance acting with the pursuit of a degree in international relations at the University of Southern California (Los Angeles). "I found I had to start weeding things out," she says, "and I don't have time for self-doubt."

America's aim in being a spokesperson for uniquely ME! is to help other girls rid themselves of that self-doubt, too. "A big part of our society has to do with how girls are taught to view other girls," she says. "The sooner all of us realize we can create the best scenario by being supporters, we can get a lot more done in a nicer way. It took me a long time to figure that out, and I'm jealous of these girls who realize it early on [through Girl Scouts]."

Another advantage to a supportive network of girls? Discovering your passion. "It's hard to find that unless you embrace what's unique [about you]," she says. "When we're younger, we tend to shy away from what makes us different."

But as America can attest, what makes us unique is also what makes us stand out from the crowd.

Xiomara Ferrera "
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Love this show! It's so unlike everything else. Great writing, fabulous characters! America is really pretty underneath all that stuff. I've never seen her before.

lambikins: I agree with everything you said

I am soooo glad that Betty got her Bunny back! And got some repairs on her too!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

That kid, the little brother Justin, absolutely KILLS me.
    That little boy who plays him has big things ahead of him.
    And I LOVED how the closed the lastest ep. with Betty and Justin playing DDR.
    Overall I just love this show.
    I wish you had a favourite beauty spot that you loved secretly/'Cos it was on a hidden bit that nobody else could see/Basically, I wish that you loved me/I wish that you needed me/I wish that you knew when I said two sugars, actually I meant three. - Kate Nash, "Nicest Thing"

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GossipGirlANTM;2106530;
    That kid, the little brother Justin, absolutely KILLS me.
    That little boy who plays him has big things ahead of him.
    And I LOVED how the closed the lastest ep. with Betty and Justin playing DDR.
    Overall I just love this show.
    That's actually Betty's nephew, and I love him, too. He's such a little cutie!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    And he's very fashion-forward!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Everyone has seen Selma as the maid in the telanovella, but now she's actually going to appear "in" the show. Well, if this proves true. I'm not 100% sure of the validity of the source.

Executive producer Salma Hayek will go in front of the cameras for a multi-episode story arc on "Ugly Betty," ABC's new hit comedy. The role marks Hayek's first appearance in a network television series. Her first guest starring appearance will be in the "Ugly Betty" episode "Trust, Lust, and Must," airing Thursday, November 2 (8:00-9:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network. She'll appear in three more episodes throughout the month of November.

Hayek will play Sofia Reyes, a newcomer to the Mode scene who will leave a lasting impression on Daniel Meade (Eric Mabius) and Betty Suarez (America Ferrera).
    Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=17023

I'm just not buying this show. I like it but it's just so ?? ugh I can't put my finger on it.
    Betty is way too smart and intuitive not to know why she is a laughing stock. She has eyes, she can see what the other women are wearing! Her scottish lassy friend in "the closet" would have jumped at the chance to help her IMO.
    She's an adult, how long is she going to wear those blue braces?
    She's turned into Mimi (Drew Carey show) with slightly less makeup
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fogey
    I think that Betty DOES know why she's a laughing stock. But just because she knows why doesn't mean she's going to change. To me, that's a great deal of the appeal of her character. She knows people laugh at her, she knows why, and it hurts her at times. But for the most part, she's got enough confidence to know that it's okay if people are laughing at her ... because she wouldn't want to be like those who are laughing anyway. She has aspirations of where she wants to be, but she's got enough integrity that she's not going to pretend to be something she is not in order to get there.

+ Reply to Thread