+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 94 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243444546474888 ... LastLast

Thread: Ugly Betty: ABC

Re: Ugly Betty: Thursday on ABC

I loved Justin's "crossing the border" theme for Ignacio's citizenship party - have everyone climb over a fence as they come in through the front door . Although now it seems like he's not going to get citizenship after all .

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar

I couldn't figure out for the life of me who was playing Lena (the "mom"). She was on Love Monkey.

I'm so glad Betty didn't take the call at the end.

I wonder if they'll really send Ignacio to Mexico or if they'll find a way to work it out. I'm sure he won't be deported, but it would make an interesting storyline.

Mark & Justin definitely have the best one-liners.

Amanda was priceless when she kept saying "there will be free clothes, right?"

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marybethp;2357134;
    Amanda was priceless when she kept saying "there will be free clothes, right?"
    I know! I think the actress who plays her (Becki Newton) is absolutely adorable!!

I can't believe the imaginative name-calling Amanda calling her new beau a Faux-mo and Vanessa said something to Bradford regarding his 'little blue pills' that made me laugh too.
    This show has the best dialogue! Almost as good as Veronica Mars
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

lei
    FORT Fogey

Hey everyone,

I absolutely adore this show. The characters (so multi-dimensional), the plots (ever-more convoluted, yet funny), the dialog (appropriately sensitive and otherwise hilarious), it's all brilliant.

My only teeny gripe was this week, in that it was unbelievable that Daniel would first buy Betty that stupid little gift, and then wait so long to buy the airplane tickets. And my only other gripe is that it's unrealistic that Betty wouldn't have slightly better fashion sense.

Yet all the main elements keep getting better and better. Thank goodness for this show. It's one highlight of my week.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by lei;2373127;
    My only teeny gripe was this week, in that it was unbelievable that Daniel would first buy Betty that stupid little gift, and then wait so long to buy the airplane tickets.
    Not unbelievable at all - Daniel is self-centered, it's shocking enough that he even thought to give her the 1st gift. He only got the airline tickets after she told him about needing to raise $1000 to fly her father to Mexico. Kinda hard to get them for her before he knew about her trouble at home.

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by helpmeturnitoff;2376807;
    Not unbelievable at all - Daniel is self-centered, it's shocking enough that he even thought to give her the 1st gift. He only got the airline tickets after she told him about needing to raise $1000 to fly her father to Mexico. Kinda hard to get them for her before he knew about her trouble at home.
    I gotta disagree. I could be wrong about this part, but didn't Betty tell him her problem as she rushed him into the sex therapist? (though admittedly that choice of priority was hers.) In any case, Daniel's character has had a lot of development through the season, in large part due to his time with Betty's family, Thanksgiving etc. Compared to the more evil characters on the show, he does have a heart, and given his massive fortune, it's unbelievable to me that he wouldn't be sure to find out how he can help her family and then tell her to book flights on his credit card.

Then again fiction is rarely perfect. But as soon as I saw the title of the episode, and knew of the deportation, it was too obvious that much of the episode would be based around Daniel appreciating Betty. It just seemed a bit contrived.

Thankfully there are enough other great plot threads running through the show, and I am still totally engaged. Like I said, this was only a teeny gripe.

I wish Daniel gave her a top notch immigration lawyer- before giving her plane tickets.
    You've got to kiss a few frogs before you find your prince!

lei
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by babymay;2377055;
    I wish Daniel gave her a top notch immigration lawyer- before giving her plane tickets.
    Yeah, I totally agree with that! And that's what kinda got me about the episode, all this fuss over $1000 when money is flowing like crazy through that office, while Betty's family is obviously struggling. Even in the mean cruel world of fashion, one would think someone would pull some strings after what Betty's done to prove herself.

I guess even relatively realistic sitcoms have their plotholes (I mean would she really have worn that poncho her first day at Mode?)

But it's still a winner. I do like that even the meanest characters have shown soft sides, while nicer characters have shown their pitfalls. The "don't judge by appearances" theme works both ways.

Daniel didn't give her 1 $1000 ticket.. that's all she was looking for, round trip for her papi. Instead he is sending them ALL to Guatamala first class. I just checked and it's about $2267 per person.
    They could always cash in their tickets, fly economy and use the rest for a lawyer. But seriously, that was a pretty classy thing for self-centered Daniel to do.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread