+ Reply to Thread
Page 35 of 94 FirstFirst ... 25262728293031323334353637383940414243444585 ... LastLast

Thread: Ugly Betty: ABC

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I think there are times when people choose not to see.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2293579;
    Patti Lupone as Mark's mother--always enjoy her, but I'm used to seeing her in more sympathetic roles.
    I am so glad you mentioned this actress by name. I knew I recognized her, but I couldn't put my finger on who she was - I think it was that wig she was wearing! Even though her character was a terrible woman, she still did a great job portraying her. The last time I saw her was on Will and Grace when Jack worshiped the ground she walked on and dreamed about cutting her hair That was definitely a more symapthetic role!!!

I was so sad that she turned her back on him 'cause he's gay. And how could she not have known? Is she blind as well as prejudiced?
    I thought it was sad too. She didn't seem surprised to me, so I thought she did know and just chose to ignore/deny it because it wasn't what she wanted. Very selfish. I think that, unfortunately, there are still too many people like this out there...

Aww, it was nice how Marc "stood up" for Betty's family... he does have heart

I always thought Amanda was pretty but I found her "extra pretty" in last nights episode while she was talking to Marc's mom.

And yes, totally cute that Henry knew the answers! I don't think Daniel will be in his old ways for too long, he looked sad when he was with those girls. And once again, loved Claire!

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by babs1003;2293970;
    Aww, it was nice how Marc "stood up" for Betty's family... he does have heart

I always thought Amanda was pretty but I found her "extra pretty" in last nights episode while she was talking to Marc's mom.

And yes, totally cute that Henry knew the answers! I don't think Daniel will be in his old ways for too long, he looked sad when he was with those girls. And once again, loved Claire!
    Yes babs, it was nice that Mark stood up for the family. Now maybe he could be a little nicer to Betty at work.

And I hope you are right about Daniel. I did notice that he wasn't so happy at the end, but chalked it up to him being upset that he was beaten by Alex yet again
    I can only please one person a day, today is not your day and tomorrow doesn't look good either

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Is she blind as well as prejudiced?
    I think blind BECAUSE she is prejudiced. She does not want to see anything so "horrible" in her beloved son, Mark.
    In a way I was glad to see that she spurned him--it does happen, and if every similar scene ends with the parents softening it sends an unrealistic message to teens trying to decide whether or not to come out. And if it goes badly for them must lead to more self blame if "everyone" else's mom comes around.
    Which all leads one to wonder...does Hilda never say anything about her son because she "doesn't see" or because she sees but doesn't care? A question that has come up here in one form or another from the start of the show....

I get the impression that Hilda just accepts her son for whom he is. She does try to call to his attention certain behaviors that may bring him trouble, but she doesn't dwell on them when they happen.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2294117;
    I get the impression that Hilda just accepts her son for whom he is. She does try to call to his attention certain behaviors that may bring him trouble, but she doesn't dwell on them when they happen.
    I think that's how she explained to her baby-daddy (Santos?). She accepts him the way he is.

Mark might make a good mentor for Justin since he identifies with him. Who else "gets" him/can relate to him? Accept and love him, yes. "Get" him, not really.

Quote Originally Posted by babs1003;2294132;
    I think that's how she explained to her baby-daddy (Santos?). She accepts him the way he is.
    Definitely! Santos was being all homophobic and trying to make Justin (or is it Dustin?) go throw some balls or whatever. He was definitely getting on Hilda's case for not forcing her son to act more macho, and she basically said "that's who he is. I'm not going to try to make him into someone else."

And there was also that part where Santos didn't want to go see the musical, but he finally went, and he and stood up for Justin when Justin was performing the whole show on the stuck subway car. I thought that was very sweet.
    Seeking form amidst the void.

But if that's not possible, gimme a Margarita...shaken, not stirred...and hold the salt, please.

FORT Fogey
    I read an article about this show in Entertainment mag. They really don't know where this show is going and mentioned that usually a series does have a plan. America and the guy who plays the gay assistant came up with the idea for this weeks show.

They pay attention to internet feedback and mentioned another site as a source. I thought that was interesting. I emailed them and told them to come here and read as well. This show thread is not easy to find or all that active so, there is that.

Again I will say it is time for Betty to get her braces off, and a decent haircut. She can remain plain and dorkey without the exaggeration. It is just not logical that someone in that outspoken business would not have insisted she get a good hair cut and shop for some current clothes at Walmart, at least.

+ Reply to Thread