+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blade: The Series

Blade: The Series

Anyone else watch the Spike TV series that recently aired its season finale?

The first episode was pretty bad, and I had little hope Blade as an ongoing series. I thought the casting of Kirk "Sticky" Jones, an ex-rapper, as Blade was pretty poor. But...there wasn't much on this summer, so I stuck with the show.

I'm really glad I did!

Around episode 3, the storyline started focusing more on the Vampires and less on Blade. Believe me, this is a good thing. Marcus Van Sciver's quest to rule his Vampire house, the House of Chthon, is very compelling. Even more compelling is Blade's ally-turned-bloodsucker Krista Starr. The one shocking element of the pilot episode was Krista's death and rebirth as a vamp. Really cool stuff.

Subsequent episodes dealt with "ash addicts", people who literally get high on the ashes of smoked vampires. A great concept, very original and (sadly) believable. If vamps actually existed, I have no doubt ashers would exist too. We also got glimpes of Blade's childhood, and found out that he (or "Eric Brooks" as Blade was called then) was responsible for Whistler's leg being damaged. Cool.

The finale was excellent. It boasted special effects and fight scenes worthy of most big-budget theatrical releases (indeed, it sparked the discussion I posted in another thread about the seeming irrelevance of films). The story ended plausibly, and with an appropriate cliffhanger.

I can't wait until the next 12-episode run begins! Anyone else watch Blade?

Looks like I'm the only other Blade fan in the group. I loved the show.

toothdoc

I liked it too. I just had a hard time believing the new "blade" actor because I became very used to Wesley Snipes in the movies. I am looking forward to it returning though.
    Yup, with donuts!!

It got canceled, sadly....

awww that's sad but kind of expected. Shows how much I've been paying attention huh?? hee hee
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread