+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Jericho

Tonight derails most of these theories about the so-called "former cop". He's obviously neck deep in whatever is actually going on.

To me this seems a lot like a domestic terrorism plot. Maybe that's who bombed the cities (with suitcase nukes) and they are mounting survivalist groups in all of the rural areas of the country in order to take over.

Non-ex-cop is either one of them, or if we insist on him still seeming like a hero, maybe HE'S the turncoat he's warning the others in the group about (in other words, he's hiding in plain sight by being the one to point the existence of a traitor out to them).

Jericho, due to its geography, seems like it was planned as a logical post-nuke target for occupation by these forces, but non-ex-cop is using the threat of a turncoat to warn the others away. Perhaps he's trying to protect Jericho, or if he's actually working for the government and was some kind of spy planted with the domestic terrorists (under this theory he was unable to warn the government about the attack, but had been planted deep cover by the FBI perhaps to surveil them), perhaps he's just trying to buy time for the Feds to show up, assuming they ever can.

He's also using a computer with long range communication capability and that needs to be explained. EMP would exist even with suitcase bombs and the bulk of our communications infrastructure would be out. Is this think working by satellite perhaps? Radio waves? Certainly its not using land-lines.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

I will admit that this show is getting very interesting. The "human" stories are OK but the real hooks involve the how, who and where's of the nuclear strikes. Our "ex-cop" is clearly a member of some kind of government, quasi-government or underground organization that is either involved in the strikes and/or has prepared for the aftermath of them. As this unfolds it will show how skillful the writers are in striking a balance between fiction and the potential realities of this new age of nuclear warfare that we find ourselves in where exchanges between superpowers are not likely. The tease for next week, with Homeland Security and a bunch of "official" vehicles showing up may open the plotline up a bit more. I'm very impressed with how the big questions are being dripped out, almost as sidebars, very week.

Jericho just got a full-season order.

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news.a...=20061012cbs03
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

What does NOT impress me is how often this show takes these serious issues and then drops into a "CBS Family Show Oriented" moment where someone begins moralizing about small town values, neighborliness, the human condition, etc.

It takes you out of the story a bit much. It's kind of jarring.

We could argue that the true scope of this tragedy hasn't really hit these people yet, since they still have electricity and food and cars and good weather, but as time goes on its going to seem more and more false. I'm terribly afraid the show is going to devolve into a series of scenarios where the town begins to fall apart, people begin to misbehave, there's some outside threat, somebody gives an inspiring speech, and then they all band together and muddle through. Week after week.

Little suggestions of dissent like hoarding and people growling when the bar closes early aside, the show isn't adequately addressing yet the terror and unrest these people should be feeling, the inherent selfishness of the human survival instinct, etc. It's too "us vs. them" so far, although even there we've got the approved morality message about how the "good guys" on the show want to help people outside the town as well.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Aren't people going to wonder where all that new food in the store came from? Wonder if he got it all.
    Well, at least that's one explanation of how the town won't starve to death in the near future. I'd certainly be worrying about the coming winter if I were them. Not like everyone in Kansas has a wood stove... or wood. Not a big on forests area.
    Yay for the good news on more shows tho!

jmb
    FORT Fogey Word Builder Champion jmb's Avatar
    The people in Jericho (especially the teens) definitely need a reality check! The world is fundamentally different now, and they need to start realizing that and act appropriately.

I love end of the world stories, but I would like Jericho better if they were sticking to the survival plot more, and less on some of the subplots. The affair between "good" son and the bartender is definitely not needed.

I'm also not sure if I like the plot with the "St.louis non-cop" and his family. It seems to overly complicate the story to me - why would the kids have to lie about where they are from?? Usually the best lie is close to the truth... if they came from Whereverville why can't they just say that??? I don't see any reason to hide their city of origin.

Skylar and her friends need a HUGE kick in the behind! Why on earth would they be having a PARTY when the world as they know it has ended??? Are they THAT stupid???

Also, the doctor seems to be carrying on with treatments like help is on the way... Wake up!! Sorry to break it to her, but resources are now limited, and should ONLY be used on people who are going to LIVE and be productive members of society... not on people who are 95% dead of radiation poisoning.

If the plots start running more toward soap opera than toward a surviving after armageddon plot, then I won't be watching much longer.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    I see what you mean, jmb-- but I think Skylar has no parents and no grown ups who are taking control of her and her resources (gas/generator). No doubt the other parents are just as glad their kids have (momentarily) a normal life. Wonder when someone will grasp that the alcohol is not infinite...the bar will have to close and no keggers for the kids.... and will pull out their how to create moonshine book. How to be rich in the "new world", assuming there is enough surplus potato or other carb to create alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I see what you mean, jmb-- but I think Skylar has no parents and no grown ups who are taking control of her and her resources (gas/generator). No doubt the other parents are just as glad their kids have (momentarily) a normal life. Wonder when someone will grasp that the alcohol is not infinite...the bar will have to close and no keggers for the kids.... and will pull out their how to create moonshine book. How to be rich in the "new world", assuming there is enough surplus potato or other carb to create alcohol.
    Dumb question, but wouldn't that all be contaminated by "the rain" and be non-usable ?

And shouldn't they be saving the alchohol on hand for future medicinal purposes ?

In any case, I can see many opportunities for plot lines, but in general, it all seems rather dis-jointed to me and I can't see how they are going to be able to tie this all together.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by echo226 View Post
    Dumb question, but wouldn't that all be contaminated by "the rain" and be non-usable ?
    And shouldn't they be saving the alchohol on hand for future medicinal purposes ?

In any case, I can see many opportunities for plot lines, but in general, it all seems rather dis-jointed to me and I can't see how they are going to be able to tie this all together.
    I'd think so if there really was all that much radiation in the rain. The fake ex-cop said the top 18 inches of soil would be contaminated and have to be replaced (how on earth could they do that?). On the other hand other posters also said that in reality it would have rained a lot on other places before the storm got from Denver to Kansas, given the local topography, and in fact there would be very little radiation left in the rain. Everyone seems to be out running around post storm as if there is nothing wrong with the outside... and yet I don't recall anyone testing the outside with the Geiger counters to see if it was safe to come out of the mine/basements yet. Yet another lapse, or did I miss it? Anyway, if it's safe out presumably the soil is ok, so they can grow radiation free potatoes in the future. And make vodka.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Everyone seems to be out running around post storm as if there is nothing wrong with the outside... and yet I don't recall anyone testing the outside with the Geiger counters to see if it was safe to come out of the mine/basements yet. Yet another lapse, or did I miss it?
    The "good brother" (i can't remember his name) who's married to the Doc, checked it when he first stepped outside. Before everyone else. It was very brief, but essentially it just showed him holding it, testing, and there not being and sign of radiation. Which, if you remember, the scene with the lady (the farm adjuster) freaking out because she touched the water and the other guy kinda laughing at her for it because he knew it wasn't full of radiation.

+ Reply to Thread