+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I liked it and I really liked Amanda Peet. I've always found her to be a really likeable actress (even when she's playing nasty roles). I love her delivery--very quick and sly. It'll be interesting to see if this show goes anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie's Padawan View Post
    Watched about 20 minutes and turned it off. More Aaron Sorkin B.S. slamming everything conservative and treating the viewing public as though we're ignorant sheep. Good way to win viewers, junkie, talk down to me and call me stupid.
    Yes! Thank you for stating exactly why I disliked West Wing. I was afraid with Sorkin leading the pack, this show would reflect the same values(?) that West Wing espoused. I have it on tape and will just tape over it. I don't care to listen to more ultra liberal clap trap. Thanks again.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by aname View Post
    Yes! Thank you for stating exactly why I disliked West Wing. I was afraid with Sorkin leading the pack, this show would reflect the same values(?) that West Wing espoused. I have it on tape and will just tape over it. I don't care to listen to more ultra liberal clap trap. Thanks again.
    As both a conservative and a Christian, I really have to say I disagree that such a tone was present in the show last night. I absolutely agree that there were some seasons of West Wing that did fall into this trap ... if I recall correctly, those were seasons where Sorkin was pretty much out of the picture.

There was one primary scene in last night's show that brought any sort of argument against conservatives into play. Without giving anything away for those who still have the show on TIVO, the counter-argument was presented in that same scene. It was strongly established that one of the supporting characters is steadfast in her Christian beliefs. But I did not find the show to be mocking her, or anything like that. I took that aspect of who she is to be presented in the same light as establishing that one character had a prior drug problem, or that another was married.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    I took that aspect of who she is to be presented in the same light as establishing that one character had a prior drug problem, or that another was married.
    I agree. And when one of her colleagues gave her a hard time for her religion, she gave it right back to him. She wasn't presented as weak or "weird" or anything negatively stereotypical.

Quote Originally Posted by laura302 View Post
    I missed it yeah I know after months of advertising! I did managed to tape the last 25 minutes. Does anyone know if they are planning to rerun it?
    I missed last night too but was able to see the full episode at nbc.com. Thank goodness the networks are finally showing reruns of some of the shows on their websites. The way some of my favorite shows are pitted against each other this season I'm going to need all the vcrs and website replays I can get!

As for the show, I thought it was okay. Not fantastic. Then again, I never watched the West Wing so maybe that's part of my unenthusiastic review. I might not watch regularly but if they continue to show repeats on the website I might keep watching for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    As both a conservative and a Christian, I really have to say I disagree that such a tone was present in the show last night. I absolutely agree that there were some seasons of West Wing that did fall into this trap ... if I recall correctly, those were seasons where Sorkin was pretty much out of the picture.

There was one primary scene in last night's show that brought any sort of argument against conservatives into play. Without giving anything away for those who still have the show on TIVO, the counter-argument was presented in that same scene. It was strongly established that one of the supporting characters is steadfast in her Christian beliefs. But I did not find the show to be mocking her, or anything like that. I took that aspect of who she is to be presented in the same light as establishing that one character had a prior drug problem, or that another was married.
    Okay, maybe I'll give it a try. Although the fast pace of West Wing was also off putting to me (people don't really talk to each other like that), and a few people have mentioned this one follows a similar format. But. . it has gotten such positive feedback from most and good critical reviews. I am an Air Force mother, moderately conservative, but not a Christian, so I guess I'll be just offended on a political level if the show progresses with a more liberal bent.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Given the age and decrepitude of my computer, I can't watch the nbc.com feed of the show (curses on the new Flash player being incompatible with Windows ME), but I did find out it is on Bravo a couple of times this week. I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow night, based on the comments here. I always find I want to like Sorkin's work, but am put off by something. Maybe this time will be different.

The biggest problem I had with the 20 minutes I watched can be summed up by Judd Hirsch's rant. You want to bash Christianity or Republicans? Knock yourself out, it's just a fictional television show.

However, when you purport to be "art" instead of "commerce" and you treat me, the viewer, like you're way above me, like I should be honored to have you in my living room....well that's when I tell you to go off and take your 'shrooms and I'll watch something else.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Howie's Padawan View Post
    The biggest problem I had with the 20 minutes I watched can be summed up by Judd Hirsch's rant. You want to bash Christianity or Republicans? Knock yourself out, it's just a fictional television show.

However, when you purport to be "art" instead of "commerce" and you treat me, the viewer, like you're way above me, like I should be honored to have you in my living room....well that's when I tell you to go off and take your 'shrooms and I'll watch something else.
    I saw the show in an entirely different light. First, I disagree with the notion that something cannot be art, AND commerce, AND make a politicla statement. I think that this show, as many other shows, are all 3. Did the show take some swipes at conservatives who try to impose their views on TV programming? Sure. It also took some strong swipes at many of those programs that conservatives oppose -- including the whole "Who wants to marry my sister / ex-lover / stranger I just picked out" genre. I guess i didn't take it as any sort of attack on conservatives when so many other groups were being attacked at the same time.

I'll also say that one of the things I've always adored about most of Sorkin's work (though I'll say he lost this touch during the course West Wing, and it lost me as a viewer - but that didn't happen for several seasons) is that as I see it, he respects the intelligence of the viewer. I've always believed that the reason Sports Night didn't take off was that Sorkin respected the inteligence of his viewers so much that he would not include all the "Well if you didn't see the last episode then we need to remind you of X" sort of moments. As a result, the regular viewers loved the pace, but it made it quite difficult for new viewers to pick up on what was happening. I think the pace of Sorkin's shows indicates his respect for viewers intelligence -- he's going to barrel on along, and he trusts that we're sharp enough to follow along.

I don't consider myself a Sorkin fan. I only liked the first season of Sports Night, and I don't like The West Wing (much to my husband's chagrin, since he's a manic Sorkin fanboy). Having said that, I was very impressed with the pilot. I really liked the chemistry between Perry and Whitford, and I also really liked Amanda Peet. For those who think she's too young to play a network executive, her character's based on a real-life executive who was younger than Peet is now(per this review).

+ Reply to Thread