Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Veronica Mars: Season 3

FORT Regular
    im starting to love VM now and i liked its tuesday epi

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Whereismymind;2162256;
    im starting to love VM now and i liked its tuesday epi
    Welcome to the crowd! Spread the word....

Has anyone heard the news that after the second mini mystery. They might be trying mysteries in an episode. Without one big overarching mystery? Or have them solved within two.
    Kristin E!Online. It's worth a read, but could be spoilerish so for those who don't want to be spoiled i'll quote the part:

What’s the plan for the rest of the season?
    Well, you’ll be the first person to hear this. There has been talk—more than talk—about dropping the whole big mystery idea after this middle mystery and to do all stand-alone episodes and sort of a combination of a few things. The network is behind it, and I am interested in heading in that direction.

Really? Why the change?
    One feeling is that the big mysteries keep away the casual TV viewers, and the other is that the thing that has been least successful since season one—meaning the things we get the most complaints about—are the big mysteries. My design in season one was that Veronica’s best friend was dead, and every season regular had an integral role in the mystery. And unless they wanted every year to kill Veronica’s friends, it’s hard to have the same emotional connective that’s worth spending seven, eight, nine episodes on a mystery. It’s one of the things we are deciding on right now.

Is this change something you are interested in or the network is interested in?
    Both. Honestly, I brought it up to the network, and they jumped at the idea. But what I think we might do is the final mystery we were going to run instead of running it as our final five is just to play those as stand-alone episodes and maybe contract that big mystery into a two-episode thing with a cliffhanger as just a trial balloon. And hopefully before season four, we’ll see how it works. It seems like a good time to do it—a good fun test balloon. Try it over five and see how fans and non-fans react.

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar
    Personally I like a multi episode story arc, but I can live with it being 2 to 4 episodes. I'm just worried that if they go to just stand alone episodes, the show is going to devolve into a Murder She Wrote/Hart To Hart/formulaic piece of crap. The story arcs give the characters time to develop, having to have the whole thing solved each episode rarely leaves room for character development.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    As soon as i saw the clock, and i looked at V, i knew there was an accomplice. Except the latter looked quite wimpy but it could've been just a facade. Mack is so underutilized, it's not evne funny.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2163842;
    Mack is so underutilized, it's not evne funny.
    I think it's because they don't have enough money to have her appear in more episodes.

And the "no long mystery" doesn't sound too good. I hope they don't do it.

The long mysteries is what set VM apart from all those other mystery shows. The payoff at the end of the season when you find out who dunnit is AMAZING. I can see why they might make this decision, and I have to say I did see it coming...but still. I don't think this is a particulary good idea. VM is losing it's dark side, if you ask me.
    I wish you had a favourite beauty spot that you loved secretly/'Cos it was on a hidden bit that nobody else could see/Basically, I wish that you loved me/I wish that you needed me/I wish that you knew when I said two sugars, actually I meant three. - Kate Nash, "Nicest Thing"

Quote Originally Posted by GossipGirlANTM;2165137;
    VM is losing it's dark side, if you ask me.
    I agree, it's a lot more preppier and a lot less edgy, in a lot of ways. However, Veronica, is still Veronica. Her wit and quips are outdone by no one. I'm eagerly anticipating the return, but perhaps more so, what is going to happen after the murder mystery is tied up. I'm not sure what will happen and I don't know if I like that too much yet.

I don't mind shorter arcs, but I enjoy the episodic mysteries with an overarching one. I don't see a reason to change it, other than needing more viewers.

But really there were two mysteries in season 2 (who killed felix and who crashed the bus plus another wrinkle with Meg, abuse and the baby) and a few in season 1 (why did Duncan break up with V, who raped V, who killed Lily). Season 2 was a bit uneven EXCEPT that I thought the season opener, the Donut Run and the season finale were three of the finest hours on TV. The payoff in the end, even tho I figured out who it was and why before, was so worthwhile.

Maybe it is just in how it is presented. To older audiences with elevated weekly mysteries (more like season 1). It never was only about the bigger mystery.

In season 3, I see some high-school to college pains as the setting and characters get resettled, and there is far less of the character growth that we saw in the first season since we now know the characters. Particularly Logan going from bad boy to good intentioned bad boy. I don't find the new characters compelling and the Wallace, Mac, Logan, Ely were not used enough for my taste.

Nevertheless, still one of the best shows ever on television.

Got season 2 on DVD for Christmas!! Woot.

+ Reply to Thread