+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone remember After School Specials?

Anyone remember After School Specials?

I need some help, once again. I remember years ago, there was an after-school special that was actually mostly filmed in my home-town. There was a teenage girl who was diagnosed with some form of cancer (I think it was Leukemia) and she found out she was pregnant. The whole movie was centered around whether or not she should have the baby because of the disease. Her parents wanted her to give the baby up but she wanted to have it. Does this sound familiar to anyone? I tried to do a plot search on IMDB.com but couldn't find it. I know it would help if I could think of some actors that were in it but I can't place it. Please help!
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I kind of vaguely remember one about a girl with AIDS who got pregnant.

Any more clues? What year and what city was this shot in?
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

Unbelievably, I do remember that one! The girl ended up dying sometime after she had the baby, right?

No idea who was in it, though, sorry nilesgirl. That's pretty ancient - it must be at least 20-25 years old. Now you've got me curious, though, so I'll try my hand at tracking it down.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by totoro View Post
    I kind of vaguely remember one about a girl with AIDS who got pregnant.

Any more clues? What year and what city was this shot in?
    It was definitely cancer. It was shot (mostly) in Brockton, MA (or around Brockton, MA). I would say mid-80's. Like 85 because I was still in Jr. High and we watched it in health class as part of an assignment. (Just a guess, though. I'm not 100% sure of the year).
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

This is a tough one! I went through dvd reviews for After School Specials from 1974 to 1986 and couldn't find a synopsis that matches the one you're looking for. Hopefully someone can help you...

ABC Afterschool Specials

I know I asked about this somewhere before but it has really been driving me nuts! Back when I was in Jr. High, one of our classes watched an Afterschool Special and for the life of me I can't remember the title of it. I only remember the story. A teenage girl is diagnosed with some form of cancer (I think it was Leukemia) and later discovers that she is pregnant. She and her boyfriend decide they want to keep the baby but of course there is considerable health risk to her having the child. I believe by the end of the special, the baby survived and the girl died. There was even a scene where the boyfriend had painted on one of the overpasses telling her that he loved her (This was while she was on her way to the hospital and he did it where he knew she would see it). Does this sound familiar to ANYONE??? I wish I could even remember who the actors were that were in it but I can't.
    Please help!

Here's the link to your previous thread. I think there might have been some help in there. eta: oops, now I see that there were only 4 replies. No help there.

Darn you... you're going to make me wonder again. I remember tearing up the web trying to find anything... came across every single AS special but that one.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I did too. That's the problem.

I tried to find it for you too. I even checked to see if maybe it was CBS. But I did find the one that stands out in my memory the most - the one where the mom has a baby and the son learns all about where babies come from.

I didn't realize the specials lasted into the 90's. I guess I was too old for them by then . I was surprised to find that many of the big celebrities today started out on these specials.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

FORT Fan
    I never saw that show but maybe you could call the Chamber of Commerce in your hometown. It's a long shot but maybe you could ask your question and see if they know of anyone in town who is very knowledgeable about the town, a sort of "town historian." You never know -- maybe they would remember.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast