+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone remember After School Specials?

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Maybe it wasn't an actual After School Special, but just that type of show, and that's why no one can find it? Maybe your old school still has it in its health film "library". Mostly these things don't get thrown out.

I've tried looking and the closest thing I can find is "Love Lives On". I haven't found a description of the plot, only the keywords which include:
    Based On True Story
    Cancer
    Baby
    Drug Abuse
    Drug Addiction
    Drug Addict
    Drug Use
    Mother Child Relationship
    Teenage Girl
    Teenage Pregnancy

I doubt that this is the movie you're looking for, but I haven't found anything else with the mention of teen pregnancy and cancer in the same show.

FORT Fan

Is this it?

Here is the plot description of "Love Lives On," from a NY Times website. Any chance this is the movie?

PLOT DESCRIPTION
    Love Lives On is the apotheosis of all made-for-TV "problem" films. The focus is on 15-year-old Susan Wallace (Mary Stuart Masterson), who in the course of the film's 97 minutes runs the gamut of crises from drug addiction to unwed pregnancy to cancer. In the climax, poor Susan must decide whether or not to bring into the world a baby that may be even less healthy than she. Add to this mixture the alcoholic father and battered mother of Susan's erstwhile boy friend, and one has the quintessential "disease of the week" flick--though, incredibly, it is all based on actual events. The film earned an Emmy award for "Lullaby", an original song by Douglas Brayfield and James Di Pasquale. Love Lives On made its ABC network debut on April 1, 1985. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2274150;
    I've tried looking and the closest thing I can find is "Love Lives On". I haven't found a description of the plot, only the keywords which include:
    Based On True Story
    Cancer
    Baby
    Drug Abuse
    Drug Addiction
    Drug Addict
    Drug Use
    Mother Child Relationship
    Teenage Girl
    Teenage Pregnancy

I doubt that this is the movie you're looking for, but I haven't found anything else with the mention of teen pregnancy and cancer in the same show.
    Well done.

I did a little searching on my own, figuring maybe I'd luck onto it, but gave up after scolling through ten pages of links headed progressively further away from what I sought.

When I saw the thread title, the first flick that came to mind was 'That Certain Summer', where Hal Holbrook and Martin Sheen are a gay couple and Holbrook's son from a dissolved marriage stumbles upon the fact.

I was about the same age of the son at that time, and still laugh at my ability to miss the obvious then and now. Watching back then in '72, I figured out dad was gay before the son did, but when he ran across the shaving creme in the medicine cabinet, I recall mistakenly guessing 'whatever do they do with that?', rather than realizing it simply signified someone with a different shaving procedure than his dad was on the scene often enough to leave personal items.

Turns out That Certain Summer was an ABC Movie of the week rather than an Afterschool Special.

I tried my luck at IMDB doing keyword searches and then sorting by date. MSN or Google search got me absolutely nowhere! Sometimes they're just not helpful when it's a bit more obscure and I thought they had everything!

Most of these specials are before my time, but I remember certain movies we had to watch in High School Psych, like "The Wave".

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12