+ Reply to Thread
Page 98 of 129 FirstFirst ... 48888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108 ... LastLast

Thread: Brothers and Sisters

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Brothers and Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by MiniDiva;3743519;
    Did you say something about Luc/Gilles' lips . . . I never noticed . . .

I had to "adjust the exposure" before I posted this photo!
    Gosh, I wonder why...

It's the face on shot of his lips that bother me. Beating could explain it... Sad.

Oh my! It's getting awfully hot in this thread. <fanning self>

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3743727;

Okay, that needs to be on the wine label . . .
    Great! We have our wine label for Ojai's cheapy wine just need to name the wines . . . 2 Buc Luc - House Red . . . Sara's Secret - Sweet Rose'. . . Nora's Nemesis - Dry White . . . endless possibilities here!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

By the way, I thought I heard Luc in the preview say that something was not his forte, pronouncing it fort-tay.... if he did I will scream. There's no accent on the E, it's pronounced like fort (or FORT)....Americans murder it all the time thinking they are being so "French", but a real Frenchman would surely never say that.....

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

This is what I found:

forte - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary

usage In forte we have a word derived from French that in its “strong point” sense has no entirely satisfactory pronunciation. Usage writers have denigrated \ˈfȯr-ˌtā\ and \ˈfȯr-tē\ because they reflect the influence of the Italian-derived 2forte. Their recommended pronunciation \ˈfȯrt\, however, does not exactly reflect French either: the French would write the word le fort and would rhyme it with English for. So you can take your choice, knowing that someone somewhere will dislike whichever variant you choose. All are standard, however. In British English \ˈfȯ-ˌtā\ and \ˈfȯt\ predominate; \ˈfȯr-ˌtā\ and \fȯr-ˈtā\ are probably the most frequent pronunciations in American English.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I double-majored in French and German, and currently work with native speakers of French (as an adult ESL teacher). Many of my students/clients have used the term fort&#233; (pronounced kind of like "for-tay") to mean "strong point."
    Horse's mouth . . . just sayin' . . .
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

PWS
    FORT Fogey

OK, have to dig out my old French class dictionaries! But the way I recall it, it was forte, no accent, so the E would not be pronounced but the T would. I refuse to go by the England English version of French words...they pronounce the T in filet and duvet.

You're right, it IS pronounced "fort," PWS It's one of the words that is mis-pronounced so much that people look at you strangely if you pronounce it correctly! I think it's now acceptable to pronounce it as if it has an accent, even though it doesn't.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Not sure if anyone mentioned this about last week's show, but it was a bit strange that Sarah locked Luc up in a bedroom upstairs while everyone dined downstairs in the same house? I know it was a family dinner where family discussions may be expected . . . but why is Luc hanging around the house during dinner. A normal guy would have left the house under the circumstances. Oh, that is right, there is nothing normal about the Walkers.

There is something wrong with this picture, locking lovely Luc up in the bedroom by himself! Perhaps Luc won't to be locked up in the bedroom at Nora's tonight since it looks like he will be able to stay over at Sarah's for the remainder of the visit. Sarah's daughter Paige suggested it so it must be OK now! Who is charge here anyway? Maybe they will lock him up in Sarah's guestroom tonight!
    Last edited by MiniDiva; 11-08-2009 at 07:42 PM.

okay, Ryan is officially on my hate list and I also hate that nasty man he is giving information to

+ Reply to Thread