+ Reply to Thread
Page 93 of 129 FirstFirst ... 438384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103 ... LastLast

Thread: Brothers and Sisters

Re: Brothers and Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3736417;
    Not to quibble, but I believe the mother of their son was a doctor.
    Worth quibbling about... you are absolutely correct! Oops.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3736430;
    That is what's so disturbing.

I do NOT want to be considered part of a target audience that is somehow upset by seeing ethnic diversity.

Much more of this all whitebread approach and as soon as Gilles is out of there--so am I.

Maybe if they realize--by losing viewers for their advertisers--just how offensive their ignoring and ignorant attitude towards anyone who is NOT white is--they'll come to their senses and realize what they've been doing wrong.

I don't want to watch any show that thinks I am afraid of seeing people who do NOT look like me!
    I love how you've come to your own conclusion and are now chastizing the show for your assumption of motive.

JavaJo... well said.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway;3736457;
    I love how you've come to your own conclusion and are now chastizing the show for your assumption of motive.

JavaJo... well said.
    As a writer I can tell you that the visual choices that writers and producers make are VERY conscious.

If you want to know who a show is aimed at--look at the kinds of characters in the show--and watch the ads.

This is not "my own conclusion" but the conclusions of studies of advertising--plus sitting in on conferences on what plays and shows will look like. And having advertisers try to tell me what kinds of stories to write and what kinds of characters to include in those plays.

It's interesting that it is thought that these very deliberate choices about characters are thought to be mere inadvertent "accidents."

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3736460;
    As a writer I can tell you that the visual choices that writers and producers make are VERY conscious.

If you want to know who a show is aimed at--look at the kinds of characters in the show--and watch the ads.

This is not "my own conclusion" but the conclusions of studies of advertising--plus sitting in on conferences on what plays and shows will look like. And having advertisers try to tell me what kinds of stories to write and what kinds of characters to include in those plays.

It's interesting that it is thought that these very deliberate choices about characters are thought to be mere inadvertent "accidents."
    Let's suppose for a moment that you are right. How would you make a show appealing to everyone? Because frankly, there isn't a show out there that appeals to every demographic. The writers and producers have to pick and choose.

Frankly, having a target audience doesn't bother me. It allows there to be something for everyone. It might be different if the race stigma (on television) was still there, but it's not. We see every group of people on tv all the time. Plus, it's hardly as if B&S is boycotting a certain race.

Out of curiosity, what do you write? TV shows?

What deliberate choices? The show is about a WHITE family. Of course it's going to be about mostly white people...LOL...Were they supposed to write the show about a hispanic family instead? I don't understand your reasoning on this.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

JavaJo--I need to think about your questions to decide how much/what I want to reveal about myself.
    I'll come back with some sort of answer.

But let me ask that this be thought about--Law & Order takes place in New York.

What if all the characters on that show were white?

Would that be the least bit believable?

California has a population that is one-fourth Black and Hispanic/Latino and Asian.

What would be so hard about making it actually LOOK like the story is taking place in California?

Why have an elected public servant--a senator no less--as one of the main characters if he is going to be doing his work in some whitebread fairytale land?

What does this say about the producers and writers who seem to expect us to believe that California is all white all the time and everywhere?

Do they think we're stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3736473;
    California has a population that is one-fourth Black and Hispanic/Latino and Asian.

What would be so hard about making it actually LOOK like the story is taking place in California?

Why have an elected public servant--a senator no less--as one of the main characters if he is going to be doing his work in some whitebread fairytale land?
    What does this say about the producers and writers who seem to expect us to believe that California is all white all the time and everywhere?

Do they think we're stupid?
    But that storyline isn't the main one. They rarely show him outside of the office and when they do, they have ethnic people....photographers, reporters.....This show isn't about politics. It's about the life of a family. Whereas L&O is about WORK.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

FORT Fogey

Why set the show in California if they don't want us to think it is actually happening in California?

BTW--the show is the sum of its parts.

If it's "not about his work" then it's also not about her work or the mom's life or where the brothers work/study. Why have a US senator as a main character if his work is not even presented as being anything like what he would do in a real senator's world?

In writing there is a tenet called "verisimilitude" which means creating the impression that what you're presenting is a part of real life.
    If they want us to believe that this family actually lives and works in California--then they need to give us something of the real California.

If this show is just a fairytale for white people about white people only--then I am not their audience.

But it does make me think of that unfortunate phenomenon--"dumbing down."

The race issue has been discussed and everyone has made their points. Let's move on, folks.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3736368;
    All the business with Gilles' character was great!

And most of it in-jokes for Gilles fans.

What a treat!

I loved how they made gentle fun of what Gilles is famous for.

(Unfortunately I am getting writer's vibes that the Gilles character is not what he is being presented as being. That there is something darker on the horizon...sorry. But my writer's antennae really are going up and quivering about this.)
    I with you WindDancer, Luc is entertaining the Walkers and is a total diversion keeping the story line very light hearted for this week's show at least. We know he won't stay forever and there will be something to end the happy relationship, whether it be distance or an event. I hope it is nothing sinister about him, because he is an adorable character . . . what's not to love by all the Walkers . . . . maybe it is too perfect and the honeymoon won't last.

Gilles is looking absolutely fine as Luc -- just when I thought I saw everything (SATC) and his dancing ability (DWTS) . . . he just gets better and better! Wouldn't it be great if ABC has his own show in mind and Luc is the star of his own spin-off show?

FORT Fogey

Moving on to another topic I found odd last night. Why was Sarah so reluctant to introduce Luc to her kids as HER friend, instead of Nora's? I just felt like she was going overboard with that, even the part when she made him run out of the house half-dressed. Why not calm down, let him get dressed and introduce him to the kids? I can see why she wouldn't want him staying overnight with her and the kids ... that would probably be too much too soon for them. But for Pete's sake ... their father just got remarried, so why the heck can't their mother even have a boyfriend? Seemed silly to me.

+ Reply to Thread