+ Reply to Thread
Page 91 of 129 FirstFirst ... 4181828384858687888990919293949596979899100101 ... LastLast

Thread: Brothers and Sisters

Re: Brothers and Sisters

While I understand and appreciate that some viewers may be bored by a lack of ethnic characters on a particular show, I'm not among them. If the stories and acting intrigue me (not always the case with Brothers and Sisters), I don't even think about it.

For example, I could wonder why all the legal and medical shows do not have more Jewish characters, since a high percentage of lawyers and doctors are of that ethnicity. But, I generally just shrug it off. The only show that consistently portrays Jewish characters is Numb3rs. Yes, I know Saul is supposed to be Jewish, but that is so far from reasonable in that family that it boggles the mind. And Marion Ross as the mother of Nora and Saul? Yes, she is just about old enough to be Nora's mother, but nowhere near old enough to be Saul's. It was ludicrous. Unless Saul is the product of an earlier marriage of their father, which I guess is possible. I don't recall hearing that, but I don't often watch the show and might have missed it.

But, I digress. My points is that ethnic or other diversity in a show doesn't play a big part in whether or not I think it's good entertainment. To others, I'm sure it does.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Good point about Marion Ross not being old enough to be Saul's mom....hmmm. OK, either she's the 2nd wife and Saul and Nora are half sibs, which has never been mentioned...or we are just supposed to ignore that age issue. I like the half sib idea...maybe she died while Saul was fairly young and he remairried and had Nora quickly, so they "feel" like full sibs. So Saul's dad and mom were both Jewish (hence his more "Jewish" name and his seeming more interested in Judaism), then Saul's dad remarried a shiksa, hence Nora as a name. In some circles you are only considered Jewish if your mother is, so Nora isn't very identified with that religion. OR only Saul's mom was Jewish. Anyone remember what last name Marion Ross's character used? I don't recall ever hearing Nora's maiden name....
    Imperfect1, I guess I only count ethnicity and sexual orientation (and disability [other than these temporary illnesses that Robert and Kitty have had]) in my definition of disability...maybe Justin's drug addiction. The rest is just "life choices" in the story line. Probably my affirmative action work background!
    But to each their own, and it certainly isn't ruining the storyline for me. But frankly currently the family might as well be running vineyards and growing crops in North Dakota---even outside their white suburb, their world looks nothing like California. They're raising food and growing wine... has no Hispanic made it out of the stoop labor level? It wasn't random that Caesar Chavez did his unionizing of farm workers in CA.

I guess I should be able to overlook the age thing with Marian Ross and Ron Rifkin since Angela Landsbury was only three years older than Laurence Harvey when she played in mother in The Manchurian candidate, and she did it with just normal makeup. But, she did it so well and he looked quite young, so it wasn't a stretch to believe it. But, Ron Rifkin looks his age and it just didn't work for me.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Right, and in The Graduate "Mrs. Robinson" was only a few years older than Dustin Hoffman....

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3735014;
    For me the issue IS racial and ethnic diversity.

For people who have never been to California or Texas or other Border states (I happen to lvie in one) that are international ports of entry--you cannot imagine the overwhelming ethnic diversity that is present as a constant in everyone's life on a daily basis.

To ignore that and cast the show as all white is not only deceptive and questionable--it is also very bad thinking from a simple dramatic point of view.

I do know that some people are blind to anyone who does not look like them--but in places like Califorrnia it is almost impossible to not see how many wonderfully different people there are around you.

The insistence of this show to give us a whitebread cast and story gives me the sinking feeling that they think that is what we their audience want to see.

They couldn't be more wrong--but the premise of such thinking is chilling to contemplate....
    I want to apologize to all of you who might have misinterpreted my post as someone who was defending the lack of diversity on this show. No, not at all. I was merely trying to say that this show does include several types of diversity that we don't normally think about. But you're right, all of you who are unhappy about the lack of racial diversity in this show. Like you, I believe that tv shows should be reasonably accurate and portray the real diversity as it actually exists in each area. The good news is that the tv of today it is getting much better than the tv of years ago, when you never saw a person of any color or ethnicity -- or various religions, let alone gays/lesbians, women in leadership roles, folks with disabilities, or any other diversity.
    Last edited by Imperfect1; 10-25-2009 at 06:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Dancer;3735014;

The insistence of this show to give us a whitebread cast and story gives me the sinking feeling that they think that is what we their audience want to see.

They couldn't be more wrong--but the premise of such thinking is chilling to contemplate....
    I don't buy that. If that were the case, then they wouldn't have a prominent gay storyline. That's way more controversial than hiring a black or latino actor.

And while I would like to see more diversity aside from the gay storylines, I get why they don't. Not every family (no matter what area you live in) interacts with different races. Plus, they really don't show a lot of people outside the Walker homes or offices.

Like I said before...it just doesn't bother me because they are focused on the gay community. And they do it so well.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

For me, the season has officially started! Finally, we got an episode that had all the things that are GOOD about this show - a little drama with Holly's money problems, some romance with Kitty and Robert, some tears from Nora, lots of Walkers together and tons of laughs.

The look on Kevin's face when Luc bent down to pick up the broken vase was priceless. I love how all of the Walkers showed up to watch Luc swim, including Saul. It was perfect that Nora was the lone holdout about Luc and the scene where she finally let him in was lovely.

There wasn't a bad note in the whole episode. I hope this is a trend. I'm sure Luc will be heading back to France any time now, but I'd love it if they hired Giles on permanently. He fit in with the Walkers perfectly. Plus, you know, he's nice to look at!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3736295;
    There wasn't a bad note in the whole episode. I hope this is a trend. I'm sure Luc will be heading back to France any time now, but I'd love it if they hired Giles on permanently. He fit in with the Walkers perfectly. Plus, you know, he's nice to look at!
    I agree....they should just hire him as a regular. He has a calming effect on the Walkers. The pool scene was hilarious! Don't give him a towel was the best line of the night!

And HOLY COW! Paige really grew over the summer!
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3736295;
    For me, the season has officially started! Finally, we got an episode that had all the things that are GOOD about this show - a little drama with Holly's money problems, some romance with Kitty and Robert, some tears from Nora, lots of Walkers together and tons of laughs.

The look on Kevin's face when Luc bent down to pick up the broken vase was priceless. I love how all of the Walkers showed up to watch Luc swim, including Saul. It was perfect that Nora was the lone holdout about Luc and the scene where she finally let him in was lovely.

ITA! Great show and Gilles was the dessert! I heard he was supposed to be on for about 4/5 episodes so we have at least 2 more to look forward to. The pool scene was reminiscent of his character in SATC movie and of course his dancing expertise from DWTS. I think the producers are having some fun with the viewers! Gilles has done a great job and has revealed his acting ability beyond his dancing and eye candy appeal. I am sure we will be seeing him alot on screen in the future.

The Walkers will go back to all the drama once Luc returns to France I am sure!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by JavaJo;3735602;
    I don't buy that. If that were the case, then they wouldn't have a prominent gay storyline. That's way more controversial than hiring a black or latino actor.

And while I would like to see more diversity aside from the gay storylines, I get why they don't. Not every family (no matter what area you live in) interacts with different races. Plus, they really don't show a lot of people outside the Walker homes or offices.

Like I said before...it just doesn't bother me because they are focused on the gay community. And they do it so well.

JavaJo--hi.

I wonder--how hard would it be to hire Hispanic/Latino and Black actors in ADDITION to an actor to play a gay?

I agree with the poster above who mentioned the whitebread tv shows of the 50s and 60s.

Almost 25% of ALL Americans are Black/Hispanic/Latino.

If they won't even include ONE (non-talking babies do NOT count)--then what does that say about the audience they want to attract?

ETA--having WHITE gay characters is not nearly the same thing as having characters who are obviously "ethnic."

This is about subconscious perceptions--and let's face it ALL the adult characters are WHITE in a state that has a huge Hispanic/Latino and Black and Asian population.

Kind of looks like a very expensive case of denial of reality on the producers' part.

Or a highly misguided attempt to make their target--White--audience "feel good" and comfy about themselves.
    Last edited by Wind Dancer; 10-26-2009 at 09:00 AM.

+ Reply to Thread