+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 129 FirstFirst ... 36767778798081828384858687888990919293949596 ... LastLast

Thread: Brothers and Sisters

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Brothers and Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyDogA2;3714164;
    I think you underestimate how impressive military service, especially as a medic, looks to schools. I know that in my area of study students who have previously worked for the peace corp or teach for america, some sort of national service, are very highly regarded by admissions people. I imagine it would be the same for med school in Justin's case.
    I agree that that would weigh heavily for med school admissions, IF he had demonstrated at least OK grades in science/math as an undergrad before or after that. I'm not sure his medic service would affect his admission into a BS/MD program, which are oftern reserved for the kind of student who would transition to MD/PhD programs--that is, very academically oriented students who can withstand a very intense science math load. Justin has no background that would make an admissions officer think he could handle that kind of academic set up...and indeed he isn't. Most undergrad programs would space out the science/math with some non med school relevant classes--lit., history, etc., that he could let slide if he got snowed under. Now he seems to be taking nothing but classes he needs for med school...not a great idea for any student any time...but especially not good for someone with no history of academic success.
    End of rant---kind of get on my soapbox when I see such poor "advising", as I see it all the time where I work---kids getting in way over their heads when they could be quite successful if they just took things at a normal pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;3714162;
    You know, the season premiere was just kind of "meh" for me. Maybe after all these seasons, I'm over the same old thing. The Walkers have inappropriate fights at parties, Holly is always trying to upstage Nora, Nora is clueless about her kids, etc. Can we get some new stuff here?

I like the characters, but I guess I wish the writers would give us something new. The only character I like completely is Scotty and half the time I wonder why he just doesn't get the hell out of there!
    I couldn't agree more, the premiere felt stale. They need to get some fresh ideas going in the writing.

I'm probably alone in this, but they need to stop giving screentime to Holly and David, I'm only interested in the Walkers.

FORT Regular

...the premiere felt stale...
    Agreed. IMHO it's another hour of of Desperate Housewives (which has been a "desperate" show for awhile) with family members instead of neighbors. Genuine character development has been replaced with predictable repetitious behavior, thus resembling a poorly-written, unrealistic 1970s evening soap. Not certain I'll continue to watch...

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Carbuncle;3715514;
    I'm probably alone in this, but they need to stop giving screentime to Holly and David, I'm only interested in the Walkers.
    I agree with you about Holly (can't stand her), but love watching David. Having said that, I can't help but be nostalgic for BOTH of them when they were on 30 Something, one of my most favorite old shows! But even then, I always loved him and didn't care for her. (They're married in real life, and even though they didn't play husband and wife on 30 Something, they were married then too.)

I didn't know the actors were married in real life, Imperfect1, thanks for sharing that!

On another topic, I'm wondering what happened to Ryan this season... does anyone know if that character is coming back?

FORT Fogey

I'm not really a fan of this show even though it has a number of my favorite actors--most especially Rob Lowe--but I accidentally caught the premiere on Sunday and enjoyed it a lot.

What I enjoy the moat about this show when I see it is the through the roof production values. This and Desperate Housewives must have production budgets to equal the GNPs of not-so-smll countries.

The acting isn't too shabby either.

The can't-ever-please mother hit too close to home for me though. My mom and I never resolved that big issue of her perfectionist ideas for me (and her thinking that I ought to be on board with that) and now she's dead and that's that.

But I loved it in the context of the story and how it was played as counterpoint to the problems the other two moms were creating rfor THEIR kids.

Excellent episode.

Tonight's was even better, Wind Dancer! Hope you got to watch. Some tear jerker moments.

I wonder if it's being set up so that somehow down the road Scotty and Kevin adopt Evan?

Also, with showing the close-ups on the needles & such during Kitty's Dr. appointments - yikes, are they trying to compete with Grey's?! I always have to cover my eyes during that stuff.

Premium Member

First look at Gilles Marini as Luc Laurent, he starts airing in episode 5. Yummy.

as always just my opinion Marlena_M's Avatar

I watch this show very very sporadically but did catch the last 15 minutes of the 10/4 episode. What kind of cancer does Kitty have? I knew from the commercials and what-not that she was sick, and then seeing the big ol needle and then seeing her mother saying Kitty has cancer... but what kind?

Personally I find these humane mouse traps rather ineffective. Better to lay down some glue and when you hear the critter scream you take a shovel to his head.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Lymphoma.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread