+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 129 FirstFirst ... 21222324252627282930313233343536373839404181 ... LastLast

Thread: Brothers and Sisters

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Brothers and Sisters

I agree about what one family member knows, they all will know. I kind of love that relationship! I was really addressing what was going on with Sarah and her estranged husband.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Oh, I know.. and I agree. I was really just combining my comment with your first two sentences in response to nilesgirl's complaint.

FORT Fan

I am very surprised that Sara and her husband will not be getting together, even though I still think he is a jerk, I imagine it must be very painful for her. I think that he is probably pursuing another relationship. I hope taht she moves on to bigger and better things.

I am really liking Rebecca's character. She is really adding a lot to the show.

Sally Field = superb. For me, she is in a class with Glenn Close. Balthazar Getty as Tommy and Mathew Rhys as Kevin gave outstanding performances. Emily Van Camp continues to impress as well.

I have always loved Ron Rifkin's work, which brings me to my only disappointment with the show. Kevin's story as a gay family member is nuanced and believable. I enjoy watching the development of this character.

There was, however, until recently no hint of homosexuality about Saul. There is more than enough material for the Saul character without bringing in this off-the-wall twist, which in my opinion, is just an attempt to play off the TV/Hollywood topic du jour. I just don't buy it, and if Rifkin can't make me believe, then there's something wrong with the story. I had hoped that with Michael Nouri busy with Damages, the story arc might disappear, but apparently not.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel;2595760;

I have always loved Ron Rifkin's work, which brings me to my only disappointment with the show. Kevin's story as a gay family member is nuanced and believable. I enjoy watching the development of this character.

There was, however, until recently no hint of homosexuality about Saul. There is more than enough material for the Saul character without bringing in this off-the-wall twist, which in my opinion, is just an attempt to play off the TV/Hollywood topic du jour. I just don't buy it, and if Rifkin can't make me believe, then there's something wrong with the story. I had hoped that with Michael Nouri busy with Damages, the story arc might disappear, but apparently not.
    I agree. I could buy it if we had not seen him involved with Patricia Wetig (characters name escapes me at the moment). Sure some gay men remain closeted for decades but do they enter into a scandalous affair with the woman who is causing his sister untold pain? One would have to have be driven by intense passion and lust to cross that bridge. Seems this plot line was an afterthought. Leave him without a partner or sexual liason if you are going down this path.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie;2596692;
    I agree. I could buy it if we had not seen him involved with Patricia Wetig (characters name escapes me at the moment). Sure some gay men remain closeted for decades but do they enter into a scandalous affair with the woman who is causing his sister untold pain? One would have to have be driven by intense passion and lust to cross that bridge. Seems this plot line was an afterthought. Leave him without a partner or sexual liason if you are going down this path.
    I agree... they are going to have to make him bi to make this believable...in which case he would probably have long since married given his generation. When he was younger (and long ago) it might have made sense for him to try desperately to form a relationship with a woman, any woman, but not at his age. He's settled into the bachelor uncle role, he knows he's gay even if he's not acting on it, why would he try to "fool himself" with a relationship with that woman...surely he's not still in denial at this point? Leaving us with he has to be bi....but then why didn't he marry? It doesn't make a lot of sense. Nor does his still being in the closet with his sister having a gay son and clearly being ok about it. Now maybe his brother-in-law was a real jerk about gays... but we haven't heard anything to that effect re his relationship with his gay son, so I doubt it. Maybe he's just a very private person and doesn't want to be the scandal du jour for this group of tattletalers, but.... Ah, it makes no sense. They better have some good psych explanations for his behavior.

Seems to me that they are trying to explain why he never married after all these years and the best they could come up with was that he was a closeted gay with a secret affair in the past.

Shame on them because to this point their writing has been amazing.

I think what would have worked better was to say that he has been madly in love with Holly (that is Patricia Wetig's character, right?) all these years but since his brother-in-law was having an affair with her, he never acted on it. Then when he died? He remained silent because he didn't want to add to Nora's pain.

Anyways, that's how I would have played it and I think that would have made more sense to the character and the plots. Because like you all said, it makes no sense for him to have kept this all secret especially considering how accepting his sister and the rest of the family are about (ugh now its my turn to forget a name)... the gay brother.

FORT Fogey

I cannot swallow that he was madly in love with a woman while being gay. Loving a woman enough to marry her for a beard is one thing but not this story line. nope

Do we know for sure that Saul never married? I honestly can't remember whether that was ever specifically discussed. If someone knows, please post it.

If it was not addressed, there are several possibilities. He could have married very young and either had a really bad marriage and divorce or he might have been a young widower. In either case, he might have chosen not to marry again. Or, if he was never married, he may have been too involved with work and just chose not to marry. Or, he got what he needed of family life from his closeness with his sister's family.

Not everyone married, even in Saul's generation. I agree with the posters who said that someone of his generaly who was secretly gay would probably
    have married a beard.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Sorry to follow up my own post, but I thought the following might be of interest. It's from Ausiello's column.

Exclusive: Steven Weber Wings It to Brothers & Sisters! - Ausiello Report | TVGuide.com

Click to see Spoiler:
    It appears that Steven Weber has been cast as a love interest for the soon-to-be-single Sarah. The story line is described as a significant arc where his character is a private consultant, possibly with his own secrets, who is brought in to expand the family business. Sarah opposes him initially, but eventally falls for him. So, it looks as if it's the end of Sarah/Joe, at least for the foreseeable future.

+ Reply to Thread