+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 129 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Brothers and Sisters

I really liked it too. Of course, with Ken Olin producing and the terrific cast, I knew I would. The thirtysomething crew is all over TV lately with Ken and Patricia Wettig doing this show, Timothy Busfield on Studio 60 and Peter Horton directing Grey's Anatomy.

Calista and Sally Field are perfect casting as mother and daughter and I thought the rest of the cast was great as well. Rachel Griffiths is fabulous and Balthazar Getty sure has grown up nicely. I'm sad to see Tom Skerritt go, because I really like him, but I'll definitely keep watching the show. Normally, I'd be concerned that, with someone dying so early on, the show would be a real downer, but I don't think this one will be.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I liked it - coming from a large family (I'm one of 9), I loved the interaction between siblings. I think Callista's boyfriend is an idiot.

I'll keep watching....

My favorite FAVORITE part ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner View Post
    a Michael Beach siting.
    I almost yelled out "DOC!". I love that man!

I enjoyed the first show, even if Calista is in the cast.
    I don't know what their actual ages are, but I found it a little hard to believe Calista was playing Rachel Griffiths little sister, she looks years older imo.
    I'm a bit shocked and very disappointed that it's curtains for Tom Skerritt.
    I liked the Steel Magnolias reunion with Sally Field.

I'll definitely stick with this show.

FORT Fogey
    I liked this show a lot more than I expected to. There are a couple of things that could ruin it for me down the line, but I"m hoping they were just "pilot" problems, and not something they'll cling to.

First, I like all the characters. I hope that the show doesn't center around Kitty, with the others just supporting players in her life. I know that early on, her character was the narrator of the show, via talking about her family on her radio show. I'm hoping that since they dropped that, they also dropped the idea of her being the star of the show. The others are strong enough that it really should bounce around to all of them. Using the comparisons made up thread, I hope it's more like Sisters in that vein, where the storylines dictate who the show centers on, rather than Thirtysomething where you had an ensemble, but it always came back to Hope and Michael.

Second, there are enough good family situations to write about that I hope they get over the issue they're trying to create of Kitty's politics. Who cares! Let her be a nice, normal TV character, who happens to be a conservative. Unless it's a storyline about her career, her politics are irrelevant. If we get to the point that she's at the grocery saying "I bet that you're saying my coupon is expired only because of my politics" I'm going to lose it.

And one final note -- if I didn't know that they've been together forever and are a happy couple, I'd be shocked to know that it was Patricia Wettig's HUSBAND who was framing the shot of her initial appearance on the show. Could they have emphasized the lines around her eyes any more? She's an attractive woman, but the way they shot that scene, she looked horrible! Not convincing that "the other woman" would look that weathered!

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by marybethp View Post
    I liked it - coming from a large family (I'm one of 9), I loved the interaction between siblings. I think Callista's boyfriend is an idiot.

I'll keep watching....

My favorite FAVORITE part ...

I almost yelled out "DOC!". I love that man!

I was wondering if that was him!!!! I thought he looked like the guy from Third Watch! I love that show!!!!

haha well... I am a brat and purpously boycotted the show, cus it made ABC move Grey's Anatomy for Thursday. And I hold grudges Even against tv shows.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat View Post
    haha well... I am a brat and purpously boycotted the show, cus it made ABC move Grey's Anatomy for Thursday. And I hold grudges Even against tv shows.
    I did that with Desperate Housewives when it first bounced Alias from Sunday nights. I got over it.

What the BLEEP do we know tigergirl's Avatar
    I had to miss this show - does anyone know if it's available for download or watch online anywhere? Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be one of the ones ABC.com is carrying.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Decent show, decent actors. Definitely worth watching, so far.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I don't think Patricia Wettig is anything nearly as simple as a current affair that Tom Skerritt was having. For a moment last night, I wondered if she'll turn out to be Calista Flockhart's real mother from an old affair who Sally Field agreed to take in as her own. It might explain the real source of the tension in the mother/daughter relationship. I'm sure that won't be the case though. I am hoping Tom Skerritt sticks around as the narrator ala Mary Alice Young on Desperate Housewives or at least appears in flashbacks throughout the series.

P.S. Aack. I know how to spell sighting. Really. And, yes, Michael Beach was Doc on Third Watch and before that Jeannie's husband on ER.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

+ Reply to Thread