+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brothers and Sisters

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re: Brothers and Sisters

Well, they said Nora was 63 last night. Sarah must be at least 42 from Justin's response last night. So did Nora get married right out of high school? I know she was young, but I thought Nora went to college....
    If Sarah is 42 Nora conceived her when she was 20...and she had Tommy before that, so she must have conceived Tommy at age 18, or at the most 19. Yikes.

No idea how young Luc is meant to be, but Sarah probably didn't shave more than a couple of years of, judging by the math above.... Maybe he's supposed to be 35? Young enough that he could easily find a woman who could have children.
    I think Sarah's insecurity is much more than about age, it's about the fact that even when Luc wasn't an underwear model, he looked like an underwear model, as she said. Remember that episode when Kitty, Kevin, and some of the daughters in law were all drooling over him in the pool...? And couple usually match up in the looks dept. unless one brings a lot of something else, like fame, power, money... none of which Sarah has right now.

By the way, even if a souffle falls it is edible!

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4081597;
    Well, they said Nora was 63 last night. Sarah must be at least 42 from Justin's response last night. So did Nora get married right out of high school? I know she was young, but I thought Nora went to college....
    If Sarah is 42 Nora conceived her when she was 20...and she had Tommy before that, so she must have conceived Tommy at age 18, or at the most 19. Yikes.

No idea how young Luc is meant to be, but Sarah probably didn't shave more than a couple of years of, judging by the math above.... Maybe he's supposed to be 35? Young enough that he could easily find a woman who could have children.
    I think Sarah's insecurity is much more than about age, it's about the fact that even when Luc wasn't an underwear model, he looked like an underwear model, as she said. Remember that episode when Kitty, Kevin, and some of the daughters in law were all drooling over him in the pool...? And couple usually match up in the looks dept. unless one brings a lot of something else, like fame, power, money... none of which Sarah has right now.

By the way, even if a souffle falls it is edible!
    Your math sounds about right but for some reason I didn't realize that Tommy was older than Sarah. I thought Sarah was the eldest. I, too, thought that Nora had gone to college, but maybe not. And 35 sounds about right for Luc. Did they ever have a discussion before about having kids? I don't remember it if they did. Unless Sarah has gone through an early menopause she can still have kids. No idea if she would but she better get going if she does. I love the addition of Gilles Marini to the cast.

FORT Fogey

I was trying to do the math, too. Don't know what the big deal is if Sarah is 42 instead of 40 ... not like she shaved 10 years off or anything. When Justin looked at the cake and scoffed that she was 40 about 30 years ago, I know of course that he was kidding, but if she's only two years older than 40, why would he even make it sound like such an extreme lie? I do think she's very attractive (and I particularly like her hair this season) ... but it's hard to be on the same level of attractiveness as Gilles Marini! I also thought she could still have a child with him if she wanted to (and who wouldn't want to try?) ... perhaps that would be an interesting development for later this season.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Maybe she feels she's through having kids? Not up for the struggle it is for most women to have kids at that age? She seems to have definitely ruled it out as an option, but not clear if they are not using contraception.

I don't recall who was older, Tommy or Sarah, but upline a bit someone else said (firmly!) that Tommy was the eldest. I do vaguely recall that period when they were rehashing a car accident or something from their teenage years, and Sarah was in her wild child phase; someone not in the family was paralyzed or something. I think Tommy was involved...that's probably when their relative ages would have been discussed.

I realize that TV shows often take liberties with characters/actors ages, but FWIW:
    Gilles Marini is 34 & Rachel Griffiths is 42
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

I wouldn't say RG is beautiful - for me, she's filed under the heading of "handsome woman" - kind of like Angelica Huston. The only beautiful woman on the show, imo, is Emily Van Camp (Rebecca.) I agree that it would be hard to find someone who was equal to Gilles in the looks department. He's pretty gorgeous.

I never bought Tommy as the eldest sib. Balthazar Getty looks much younger than Rachel Griffiths.

Miss Scarlet- Rachel will be 42 in December, so still 41. As someone who just hit 42, I was 41 until midnight!

Balthazar Getty is 35
    Callista Flockhart turns 46 next month
    Dave Annable is 31
    Matthew Rhys turns turns 36 next month

SO - the birth order should be: Kitty, Sara, Kevin, Tommy and Justin. It would be one thing if the girls were really young looking and BG was more mature looking, but that's not the case. I never can keep the birth order straight...except for Justin: I know he's the baby. I wonder if Callista demanded that she not be the eldest sibling. It wouldn't surprise me.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I think Sarah's the eldest, then Kitty, Tommy, Kevin and Justin.
    "That's Numberwang!"

9/11/2001 NEVER FORGET. Eastcoastmom's Avatar

Okay, this was driving me crazy so I looked it up on Wikipedia.
    The Walker family

* Nora Walker, matriarch of the Walker Family and a stay-at-home mother; widow of deceased husband William Walker.
    * Sarah Walker, Firstborn child of Nora and William, a working mother, President of Ojai Foods and former CEO of Greenotopia; ex-wife to Joe Whedon.
    * Kitty McCallister, second child of Nora and William, one year younger than Sarah,[2] a writer, mother and former radio host and communications director; widdowed to Robert McCallister.
    * Tommy Walker, third child, two years younger than Kitty, and firstborn son of Nora and William, father and former President of Ojai Foods; ex-husband to Julia Walker.
    * Kevin Walker, fourth child of Nora and William, two years younger than Tommy, pro bono lawyer and the former communications director for Senator McCallister and former corporate lawyer; married to Scotty Wandell.
    * Justin Walker, fifth and youngest child of Nora and William, eight years younger than Kevin, medical student, war veteran of Afghanistan and Iraq, and former drug addict; formerly married to Rebecca Harper.
    Wow, so Nora had 4 kids in 5 years and then Justin was born 8 years after Kevin.

I loved Rachel Griffiths in Six Feet Under on HBO and was amazed to know that she is Australian. Critical, you hit the nail on the head when you called her a "handsome woman." Never thought she was pretty. Callista, well, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. If a bag of bones is your idea of pretty...

And Gilles-- as much as I think he is gorgeous I cannot for the life of me believe that he is only 34. He looks wayyyyyyyy older than that to me.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

No one remembers the episode that flashed back to their teen years that I mentioned? There Kitty was clearly supposed to be a lot younger than Sarah.

By the way, in this last episode when Kitty was having her kitchen meltdown, not only did she sound like a nut case, but she looked awful...really old and haggard. I give props to the actresses for not always demanding to be beautiful (e.g., Nora when she was falling apart over Justin going back looked like she'd aged 10 years), but Kitty looked so bad, and acted so nuts, I'm not sure why on earth the adorable plumber (who, in real life would have lots of other offers) would ever come back.
    While we are on the topic of aging/maturing---it is not clear to me what great miracle was wrought on Justin during his 2nd tour of duty. His first one totally messed him up---why did the 2nd one suddenly make him able to return to civilian life as one of the saner members of the clan?

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastmom;4082124;
    Okay, this was driving me crazy so I looked it up on Wikipedia.

Wow, so Nora had 4 kids in 5 years and then Justin was born 8 years after Kevin.

I loved Rachel Griffiths in Six Feet Under on HBO and was amazed to know that she is Australian. Critical, you hit the nail on the head when you called her a "handsome woman." Never thought she was pretty. Callista, well, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. If a bag of bones is your idea of pretty...

And Gilles-- as much as I think he is gorgeous I cannot for the life of me believe that he is only 34. He looks wayyyyyyyy older than that to me.
    Wow, interesting stuff on Wikipedia.... Well, all I can say is that in the teen years story line I thought Kitty was more than a year younger than Sarah--maybe she was just "late maturing". By the way, one thing I loved during the discussion of aging among the women was the part about champagne glass vs. jug breasts.

+ Reply to Thread