+ Reply to Thread
Page 100 of 129 FirstFirst ... 5090919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,000 of 1288

Thread: Brothers and Sisters

Re: Brothers and Sisters

Quote Originally Posted by maxkl;3746489;
    Quote Originally Posted by MFWalkoff;3746067;
    Centuries of music teaching might have something to do with it. I've heard so many conductors, teachers, and theater musical directors pronounce it "for-tay" (even the ones who knew French) that it seems to be institutionalized. Could it be that the word origins are from a mix of sources, like Spanish or Italian as well?
    Thats what I was thinking of... to be honest, I've never heard it
    pronouced any other way except "for-tay"... but I was a big
    band geek for many years...
    That's because the musical terms are in Italian, and that particular pronunciation (for the musical term and the "that's not my forte" use) are actually derived from Italian, not directly from French.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3746757;
    That's because the musical terms are in Italian, and that particular pronunciation (for the musical term and the "that's not my forte" use) are actually derived from Italian, not directly from French.
    Thanks MFWalkoff, maxkl, and Ellen, for introducing this line of possibilities regarding the alternative (Italian - music) derivation of the pronunciation. I was beginning to think that the proper pronunciation of forte was not MY for-tay!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3746757;
    Just like it was explained it in Merriam-Webster's! That was not lost on me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

In the DWTS Gilles Marini thread, it is reported that Gilles' role on B&S will continue for several more episodes than originally planned. Yay! There is a link to an interesting interview with him there regarding his portrayal of Luc, how he regards women, and working with the rest of the cast. With thanks to Andiemywestie, here is the URL:

'Brothers & Sisters': Gilles Marini reveals Luc Laurent's true agenda | Show Tracker | Los Angeles Times

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3747038;
    Just like it was explained it in Merriam-Webster's! That was not lost on me!
    LOL! Honest, I didn't look it up before I posted it! I think I just remembered from having had looked it up some other time for some kind of teaching thing. Or a bet.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

This was a heavy show this week with Kitty's storyline. What a brave woman she was to face her demon and shave her own head with no help from the close woman in her life. Kudo's to Kitty and the show's producer's for bringing a real issue to the forefront and portraying Kitty in such a manner. Normally, Nora and Sarah would have been pawning all over Kitty -- rather they sat on the bed comparing stories and laughing about their hot love interests while Kitty was in the bathroom shaving her head. As much as we would love to have a love story or light weight story line, this is a family drama for sure. This is not a dull season no matter how over the top it is!

This season got off to a slow start, but I'm enjoying the hell out of it now.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Thanks for all the input on "forte"! Yay for FORT!
    So I guess we can assume that "Luc", even though French, is musical enough to use the musical Italian pronunciation....Or that Gilles Marini is Italian enough to use the Italian...or that he's American enough to use the common American pronunciation! I will now try to stop thinking harshly of the for-tay people in my life!

Quote Originally Posted by tapper01;3746671;
    so, they new guy Nora is with is from The Closer

I hope he is just working two jobs and not leaving The Closer

Ahh... if you're not overly familiar with him.. he is Jon Tenney, aka former husband of Teri Hatcher.

He was also the obnoxious buddy in that movie with Matthew Perry. Fools Rush In, I think it was.. with Salma Hayak.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3747881;
    Thanks for all the input on "forte"! Yay for FORT!
    So I guess we can assume that "Luc", even though French, is musical enough to use the musical Italian pronunciation....Or that Gilles Marini is Italian enough to use the Italian...or that he's American enough to use the common American pronunciation! I will now try to stop thinking harshly of the for-tay people in my life!
    PWS--Hi.

It's my understanding from what we learned about Gilles during DWTS is that Gilles is 100% French--having been born and raised in an area of France originally settled by a number of people from Italy--a long time ago--which is why he has an Italian-sounding name.

But he and his family (parents etc) are French.

(and for what it's worth--France also has areas settled originally by many people of Germanic origins who have Germanic-sounding names etc. But we're talking 100s of years ago.)

+ Reply to Thread