+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Miss Universe

Just basing it off of looks I thought to the 2 most stunning were Puerto Rico and Mexico. I thought Japan was more cute than stunning but I can see where many liked her but just for me she didn't have the overall beauty of the other two. I thought Miss USA was ok but clearly was behind some of the others, although I would have put her ahead of Paraguay who I was kind of shocked made it to top 5.

I really don't think Miss Puerto Rico should have won. IMO, Her dress was the least attractive of them all. It should have been: 4th runner up- Paraguay, 3rd runner up- Puerto Rico, 2nd runner up- USA, 1st Runner Up- Switzerland, and winnner- Miss Japan

Miss Puerto Rico's Dress -
    Miss Puerto Rico herself -
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

i thought Japan shouldve won
    my order wouldve been

1. Japan
    2. Switzerland
    3. USA
    4. Paraguay
    5. Puerto Rico [i really didn't like her]

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_viewer View Post
    I believe that Western standards of beauty and sexiness--the only two things that I believe Miss Universe (or Miss USA) focuses on, unlike the Miss America pageant, where brains and talent count, too--preclude someone from China, Japan, or Korea from winning. To win, I think an Asian from these countries would have to be really statuesque, stunning of face and skin, and have to do more to flaunt her sexiness, as some of the Western competitors did. It would help, too, if she looked more Caucasian than Asian.
    There was a winner from South Korea something like 25 years ago. But you're right...I don't recall any other Asian winners...Did a Miss India ever win?

I do notice that all the winners tend to look the same, regardless of whatever country they're from. Tall, thin, beautiful (obviously) and with just different shades of darkness and lightness in their skin.

I think one of the minor problems is the translators they have during the question segment at the end. Miss Japan's translator was a nervous mess who halted and stuttered her translation. The guy who translated for Miss Puerto Rico etc. was smooth, calm and collected. I think that helps--at least a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    I think one of the minor problems is the translators they have during the question segment at the end. Miss Japan's translator was a nervous mess who halted and stuttered her translation. The guy who translated for Miss Puerto Rico etc. was smooth, calm and collected. I think that helps--at least a little.
    I completely agree. Not only that, but the translators interupted the contestants to translate, and that could have been a factor. But if you notice, everytime Miss Puerto Rico was interupted, she just smiled and waited for him to finish. Nicely done. I totally agree with the outcome now that its over. I thought her dress was beautiful though! She thought about the lighting and everything.

What was Miss Paraguay thinking with her dress?

FORT Fogey
    yeah, i do not understand japanese but i think the translator misinterpreted the question.

Silent all these years... caragwapa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    There was a winner from South Korea something like 25 years ago. But you're right...I don't recall any other Asian winners...Did a Miss India ever win?

I do notice that all the winners tend to look the same, regardless of whatever country they're from. Tall, thin, beautiful (obviously) and with just different shades of darkness and lightness in their skin.

India has won two times and so has the Philippines (although a long time ago...)

FORT Fanatic
    Miss USA Brooke Lee (Hawaii) was the winner in 1997 for Miss Universe. She is of Korean/Chinese/Dutch/French/Portuguese descent.
    not my frickin fault. fine, my fault, i always get blamed anyways.

FORT Fogey
    i found this quiet interesting
    a Singapore article stated that Miss Japan Kurara Chibana may have lost the Miss Universe crown due to a poor translation into English of her response in Japanese. The question that was asked Chibana was : "If you had the opportunity to change the history of humanity, what would you change and why?" According to bloggers , Chibana's response was that if exploitation and violence against women could be eliminated, 'the world would be better' (sic). However, it was alleged that the official Miss Universe interpreter missed out the feminist element of her answer, which apparently cost her.(Electric New Paper, Singapore, 7/30/2006)
    i don't think it mattered cause PR already felt under what the donald wanted

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234