+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Miss Universe

I had Puerto Rico and Japan pegged as the top two early on.

Just my opinion, but I think it was impossible for Japan to win, given that there didn't seem to be one Asian judge in the bunch, and amid the fully Western judging panel, there was at least one latina/o judge.

I believe that Western standards of beauty and sexiness--the only two things that I believe Miss Universe (or Miss USA) focuses on, unlike the Miss America pageant, where brains and talent count, too--preclude someone from China, Japan, or Korea from winning. To win, I think an Asian from these countries would have to be really statuesque, stunning of face and skin, and have to do more to flaunt her sexiness, as some of the Western competitors did. It would help, too, if she looked more Caucasian than Asian.

And perhaps it would help if an Asian judge were in the mix? Then again, I don't think the Far Eastern Asian market is the target demographic of this pageant, so I'm not expecting an Asian judge any time soon.

(And speaking of judges, what an asinine judging panel--a contestant from The Apprentice, a football player, a male tv actor? WTH? I can understand the photographer or fashion designer and such, but the rest? Only the Miss Universe pageant would deem Sean what's-his-name and the others as qualified to judge.)

Disclaimer: I only watched this trash to see Kayne's gown from Project Runway.

I just saw a picture of the former Ms. Universe putting the crown on Ms. Puerto Rico. Is it just me or did anyone else think that it was tacky for the former Ms. Universe to be wearing the Live Strong jelly band with her gown and crown?? Hey, I'm all for supporting your cause but.......it just did not look right for such an event.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi_Janey View Post
    Was she from Texas?
    Kentucky.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by dallas_viewer View Post
    I had Puerto Rico and Japan pegged as the top two early on.

Just my opinion, but I think it was impossible for Japan to win, given that there didn't seem to be one Asian judge in the bunch, and amid the fully Western judging panel, there was at least one latina/o judge.

I believe that Western standards of beauty and sexiness--the only two things that I believe Miss Universe (or Miss USA) focuses on, unlike the Miss America pageant, where brains and talent count, too--preclude someone from China, Japan, or Korea from winning. To win, I think an Asian from these countries would have to be really statuesque, stunning of face and skin, and have to do more to flaunt her sexiness, as some of the Western competitors did. It would help, too, if she looked more Caucasian than Asian.

And perhaps it would help if an Asian judge were in the mix? Then again, I don't think the Far Eastern Asian market is the target demographic of this pageant, so I'm not expecting an Asian judge any time soon.

(And speaking of judges, what an asinine judging panel--a contestant from The Apprentice, a football player, a male tv actor? WTH? I can understand the photographer or fashion designer and such, but the rest? Only the Miss Universe pageant would deem Sean what's-his-name and the others as qualified to judge.)

Disclaimer: I only watched this trash to see Kayne's gown from Project Runway.
    completely agreed. It was rigged from day 1.

FORT Fogey
    I was so caught up in "Growing Up Brady" that I quit flipping over to watch this. Did Miss USA wear Kayne's dress?

Yep. At first, she could barely walk in it, but she improved as time went on. The color and fit, IMHO, did not look as good on her as it had on the Project Runway model.

But what was nice was that it really was Kayne's dress; I didn't notice any major changes to it. Seems to me there have been other outfits made by PR contestants where the outfit gets selected by a celeb, but when you see it later, it barely looks like the prototype...

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    Kentucky.
    Let's not start picking on states here. She beat out all of the other contestants for Miss USA so either they were worse or she was better.

I agree that that judging panel was eccentric. A mix of NBC, Bravo and Trump affliated people. For the large number of judges they had, they could have included a few more fomer Miss Universe winners, imo.

I know, rt1ky. She's so gorgeous that I was blown away when she opened her mouth. Perhaps they skipped the interview round in the previous pageant?? Either that, or her fellow contestants drugged her before she walked on stage.

me and my mom are such pageant fans, its a family thing...so we always watch...and oddly enough, we both picked Japan/Puerto Rico as the winners (I for Japan, and Puerto Rico from my mother)

my mom said that Japan lost cause she was more of a cutesy girl and not a classical, mature, refined girl as Puerto Rico was...and i was like whatever boo...lol

anyways, im still disappointed that Tara won over Tamika, but whatever... i really enjoyed the beautiful worldly costumes they had on this pageant, personally, i really liked the "butterfly" looking one that one of the contestants had on...but Miss Japan's costume was rather cute as well...i was also surprised to see Santino as a judge lol

FORT Fan
    I think Miss U.S.A. has been a finalist at the Miss Universe pageant 19 times out of the last 20 pageants. (Just going from memory, might not be exactly right). Not exactly a surprise but...

I was surprised at some of the countries which did not have contestants this year. Unless I missed it, there were no delegates from Austria, Italy, the Netherlands or Portugal.

I kind of miss the days when they used to show you the scores on the screen for bathing suit, interview, etc. Now, there's no way of knowing what the judges thought of any of it, other than the final results. I also wish they still interviewed the top ten contestants instead of just the top five. The interview portion is my favorite part.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast