+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Psych

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    Thanks Florimel, but no I don't get the USA network.

I found episode #2 quite enjoyable and will continue watching. But can somebody tell me why Shawn is pretending to be psychic? And what is Gus' (Dule Hill) occupation? Is he a P.I. or a cop or what? And did episode #1 shed any light on why Corbin Bernsen is so grumpy?
    I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

1. Shawn decided to pretend to be a psychic because as one of his ploys to get back at his father, he uses his amazing powers of observation to call tips in to the police department. One such tip was so accurate that the police put him high up on the suspect list. To save himself from jail time, he convinced the police that his accuracy came from psychic insight.

2. Dule Hill's Gus is -- perhaps a tongue-in-cheek homage to reality tv -- a pharmaceutical sales rep.

3. Corbin Berson's character is a retired, highly repsected, police detective who was determined that his son would follow in his footsteps. He's also a perfectionist and has a problem with his son's more laid-back approach to life. He did manage to train Shawn's powers of observation, but alienated him in the process. He's grumpy because a) Shawn did not become a police detective, and 2) he feels Shawn is wasting his considerable talents.

You'll see a lot of this background exposition, in a highly entertaining fashion, if you ever do get to see the pilot.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Many thanks Flo! Things make more sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel View Post
    2. Dule Hill's Gus is -- perhaps a tongue-in-cheek homage to reality tv -- a pharmaceutical sales rep.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

The 1st ep. started with a flashback to 1986 with Shawn and his father at a diner. To get some fudge cake, his father makes him close his eyes and answer questions about the people in the diner. The waitress says "wow, that's amazing." His father replies "It's adequate." Waitress to Shawn "I guess I know what you're going to be when you grow up" Shawn "Oh, I'm never going to grow up ma'am".

Thereby setting the scene of how he gets his powers of observation, the relationship between him and his father and the fact that he's still acts like a child.

Jump to today and he's making out with a girl and sees a story on the news about an electronic stores breakin. He rings the police and tells them it's the store manager that did it, because he won't look the reporter in the eyes and is nervously twisting his hands.
    The next day he turns up at the police station and asks for his commendation for phoning in the tip. The female cop on the front desk is on the phone talking to someone about going to a pychic and talking about her grandmother. While waiting, he sees a few other things, like a young cop practicing dance steps.

He gets shown into an interview room with the dark haired cop and his first female partner. He's accused of being in on the robbery, because his information is so good, it could have only have come from someone on the inside. They banter back and forth for a while, where you find out that Shawn's father arrested him at 18 for "borrowing" a car to impress a girl. For which he now hates his father. He's never held a job for more than 6 months and that he has phoned in dozens of tips from watching the evening news.

Shawn starts to storm out and the young dancing cop stops him. They say he won't be arrested if he can give a plausible explanation for how he came up with all the tips. The female cop from the front desk turns up to cuff him and that's when he comes up with the idea of saying he's pychic. They don't beleive him, so that's when he goes into his routine and starts telling the female cop about her grandmother and the young cop about dance lessons etc. They all fall for it except of course the dark haired cop.

So that's how it all came about, he just has amazing powers of observation, thanks to his father's relentless drilling as a boy. And the pychic bit is simply cover so he can keep getting reward money for solving the cases

Gus works for a drug company and gets ropped into it simply because he's Shawns best friend.

And it seems that Corbin Bernsen's character has just always been grumpy!

Bravo ozjod! I really appreciate that recap.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I think it's a cute show but hubby predicts it won't last. He watches it with me but says it's not going to get picked up for another season. I guess time will tell!

I hope it doesn't get cancelled. So far, I loooooove this show!

The more I watch this show, the more I like it (although I was a bit bored by the Civil War reenactment one on USA last week).

I find it funny, fresh and actually quite quoteable--too bad no one knows what I'm referencing when I do this in RL, since not many other people I know are watching this show.

The lead actors, Dule Hill and--oh God, I don't know his name yet --the guy who plays Shawn--well, they're both very clever and appealing. I do hope that it finds its audience and continues on, because I'd like to see how it develops.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I love this show, but had a hard time remembering when it was on. I've missed a lot of the episodes and look forward to seeing them between now and January. On the finale last night he told the Chief to rest and enjoy her daughter until.. say... January. This led me to believe that they have been picked up for another season.

I considered Corbin a borderline abusive father until he kissed him on the head after explaining to him what a true hero was. He also spends a lot of time with him and actively tries to parent him.

I like the way Shawn and Gus play off of each other and contribute equally instead of making Gus the sidekick.

I don't really like the male detective in this show. I liked the actor on Xena and Judging Amy, but not here. I think they got rid of the original female detective because her storyline made no sense and the character was boring. I like the way the Chief lets Shawn in on cases - officially and unofficially as well as the male detective's aversion to a female boss.

Quote Originally Posted by dberk View Post
    I love this show, but had a hard time remembering when it was on. I've missed a lot of the episodes and look forward to seeing them between now and January. On the finale last night he told the Chief to rest and enjoy her daughter until.. say... January. This led me to believe that they have been picked up for another season.

I considered Corbin a borderline abusive father until he kissed him on the head after explaining to him what a true hero was. He also spends a lot of time with him and actively tries to parent him.

I like the way Shawn and Gus play off of each other and contribute equally instead of making Gus the sidekick.

I don't really like the male detective in this show. I liked the actor on Xena and Judging Amy, but not here. I think they got rid of the original female detective because her storyline made no sense and the character was boring. I like the way the Chief lets Shawn in on cases - officially and unofficially as well as the male detective's aversion to a female boss.
    What character did he play on Xena??
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    What character did he play on Xena??
    It's been a long time since I've even been able to find reruns of Xena, so all I remember was that he played a man that was supposed to be the savior of his people. Ares (sp) the god of war killed him. He wore long hair and I'm sure those piercing (freaky) eyes of his helped him get that role. His role was the basis for one of the many ongoing story lines they came up with toward the end of the series.

+ Reply to Thread