+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415161718 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Psych

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Re: Psych

Full disclosure--I was *obsessed* with Twin Peaks back in the day. Tonight's Psych episode had me squeeing from the start. The soundtrack, the actual Julee Cruise doing the intro, Sherilyn Fenn, Sheryl Lee, The ACTUAL Log Lady, Ray Wise (nice call back to The Exorcist episode too!), and a very age looking Dana Ashbrook, to boot. The character names, places and abundant pie are just so freakin' spot-on I am absolutely in love with this episode. It's getting saved on the DVR until this season is out on disks.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;4118395;
    Full disclosure--I was *obsessed* with Twin Peaks back in the day. Tonight's Psych episode had me squeeing from the start. The soundtrack, the actual Julee Cruise doing the intro, Sherilyn Fenn, Sheryl Lee, The ACTUAL Log Lady, Ray Wise (nice call back to The Exorcist episode too!), and a very age looking Dana Ashbrook, to boot. The character names, places and abundant pie are just so freakin' spot-on I am absolutely in love with this episode. It's getting saved on the DVR until this season is out on disks.
    I was a TP megafan back in the day too, PG! I'm watching it right now and every time a TP cast member comes on the screen, I squeal! Nice to see Lenny von Dohlen too. ITA - Dana Ashbrook does look older, but I think it's just the hair. His face hasn't aged that much, although the hair color makes him look kind of grey too. Now they just need a cross-dressing David Duchovny and a David Lynch walk on!

Nice to Robin Lively getting work. The focus is so much on her sister these days.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Great episode, as I assumed it would be. I was delighted -- I always am -- to see Ray Wise. Loved the anagramming of Laura Palmer to Paula Merral. Thoroughly enjoyable.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

When Shawn called Gus out on the local newspaper thing & Gus said he knew them all. Shawn's first town he threw out there was Ridgecrest & Gus answered Daily Independent. I grew up in Ridgecrest, have been gone for a long time, but it was a nice shout out! And, it is The Daily Independent.

I was very impressed with last night's season premiere. With the last season finale ending with Henry having been shot by the last of his former partners and the one he still trusted, they managed to make the episode both touching and funny.

I'll spoiler the following for those who haven't watched it yet.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    I had thought that Corbin was leaving the show and that Henry would die, but my guess was happily wrong. It was great to see everyone supporting Sean in his mission even after they were specifically ordered off. Even Lassiter was there for him.

I've always liked Psych and am happy to see it back.
    FireWoman likes this.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I too was glad Psych was back and especially glad Henry is still around. It was a bit different in tone (all that breaking glass from odd angles), but still it's got heart, comedy, and good plotting. I've been struggling with figuring out what I want for my impending bday, but I think I'll ask for some back seasons on DVD. I have the first 2 seasons and they're about worn down to the nub.

I liked the way the season opening started and the like. It still had the right balance of everything that is Psych, even if Sean was much more serious than normal. It was a nice wake up to the real world for him though.

What was also nice for me was seeing Max Gail appear in TV again. He hasn't done a whole lot I've seen since "Barney Miller" (He was Wojo in that series) but I always felt he was a decent actor especially in the type of role he played here (similar to the other role).

Looking forward to watching the rest of the season... now I just have to remember when it's on.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    I liked the way the season opening started and the like. It still had the right balance of everything that is Psych, even if Sean was much more serious than normal. It was a nice wake up to the real world for him though.

What was also nice for me was seeing Max Gail appear in TV again. He hasn't done a whole lot I've seen since "Barney Miller" (He was Wojo in that series) but I always felt he was a decent actor especially in the type of role he played here (similar to the other role).

Looking forward to watching the rest of the season... now I just have to remember when it's on.
    I have to agree about Max Gail. He's does mostly guest roles as far as I can tell, but I've always liked his work. He looks so very different now from the hefty "Wojo," a great character in a great series. I've always loved Hal Linden who, before Barney Miller, was a fine musician and musical theater star.

The only other series I know of he's been a regular in was the short-lived "Whiz Kids." Mostly he's just been in guest roles, which he's just as good in.

And I agree about Hal Linden too - he was so much fun to watch in "Out to Sea" where he did sing and dance too.

But this is why I like "Psych" they're willing to cast these older actors whom we loved to watch when we were younger and have them play atypical roles as well as similar ones we liked them in. Only other shows I've seen that have done this were "Numb3rs" (where they had actors such as Marilu Henner and William Katt as these stars who were hit in a weird theft), and "Diagnosis Murder" (i.e. the episode with actors from shows such as "M*A*S*H," "Quincy," and "The Love Boat," or when Robert Culp was Jesse's dad and there were "Mission: Impossible" cast members).

Psych has done great homage episodes before (Friday the 13th, American Werewolf in London, the awesome Twin Peaks episode from a couple years ago) but OMG, the Clue homage episode was so fun tonight! I did get a bit wistful about the passing of Madeline Kahn when Lesley Ann Warren delivered her "flames, flames" lines, but it made it all worth it when they dedicated the episode to Madeline Kahn's memory. I just wish all the alternate endings were up on the USA site now, as advertized. They probably will be once the show has aired on the west coast.
    TripleGemini likes this.

+ Reply to Thread