+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Canadian TV

Canadian TV

I was thinking maybe we could have a thread devoted to Canadian TV networks, a place where we could discuss any home-grown shows that we think are real gems, be they few and far between. And we won’t have to annoy the Americans with chatter about shows they don’t get anyway.

Also, some of the higher quality U.S. programs end up airing months later up here, and we could use this thread to alert each other to broadcast dates. For instance: season 3 of “Rescue Me” has started airing in the U.S. but I don’t know if or when Showcase will start airing it in Canada, so I’d be grateful if someone could post it in here if they know. I’d also be thrilled if CTV ever gets around to airing season 2 of “Veronica Mars”. Ditto with TNT’s “The Closer”. Global aired season 1, but I’ve heard nothing about a Canadian network picking up season 2.

The program that got me thinking about creating this thread is “Billable Hours” on Showcase. It’s a half hour sitcom about Toronto lawyers and it just cracks me up. There only seem to be 8 episodes and they’ve finished their first run and this week they’ve gone into reruns. It airs on Sunday nights at 9:30, and repeats twice more on Sunday (approximately 11:50 and 3:05) and again on Wednesday nights at 9:30. So if you have some free time in your summer TV schedule, you can still catch the first ep tonight.

Something else I’ve really enjoyed is “Mantracker” on OLN. (The Outdoor Life Network.) It’s been filming in various provinces. Two people who have never met before are given a map and they have to try to get to a specific destination (on foot) before Mantracker (dude on horseback) catches up to them. He knows where their starting point is, but not their destination, so his only hope of tracking them is to find signs: footprints, broken branches, etc. The “prey” get a couple kilometers head start and they usually have 36 hours to make about a 50 km trek. There’s no prize money or anything, just a sense of accomplishment if they outrun Mantracker, which few seem to be able to do. I can’t explain my fascination with this show, but I really look forward to it each week. It airs Wed. at 9 pm and repeats at midnight and 4 am, as well as Sat. at 5 pm and 10:30. Sometimes it’s a half hour, sometimes a full hour.

On Tuesday nights I’ve been watching “S.A.S. Survival Secrets” at 8 pm on the History Channel. (It repeats at midnight.) This is their description of the show: 'A team of hardened veterans reveal the survival techniques that helped keep them alive while serving in the Special Air Service. Presented by Eddie Stone.' It’s pretty interesting if you’re into military type things.

Nicholas Lea has a new series starting on CTV at 10 pm Sun. June 25. It’s called “Whistler” and is filmed in (where else?) B.C. It’s a one-hour mystery/drama series which is also going to air in the U.S. starting June 30 on something called “The N” which I’ve never heard of.

The Comedy Network has a new sitcom on Friday nights called “Alice, I Think”. 8 pm and 3:30 am. It’s not bad, kinda quirky. I get a kick out of Alice’s school guidance counselor.

The network formerly known as PRIME has changed its name to TVtropolis. They recently started showing VH1 programs like “Celebrity Fit Club”, “Hogan Knows Best”, “My Fair Brady” and “Breaking Bonaduce”. They air back-to-back on Sundays starting at 5 pm. As well as various other times.

Also, Showcase has been showing “Oz” reruns and I wish I knew when they started. (I’ve only ever seen seasons 1 & 2.) They seem to be up to the middle of season 4. It airs Saturday nights at midnight and 3:15 am.

That’s all the news I have at the moment. Hopefully some of my fellow Canucks will join in so I don’t end up in here talking to myself.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    I was thinking maybe we could have a thread devoted to Canadian TV networks, a place where we could discuss any home-grown shows that we think are real gems, be they few and far between. And we won’t have to annoy the Americans with chatter about shows they don’t get anyway.
    But I thought our purpose here was to annoy the Americans?
    I have to say, I don't watch much Canadian programming - bad Canadian! The only Canadian show I regularly watch is Corner Gas, which I love. Maybe I should look into some of the shows you mention, Qboots, and give them a try.
    I'm with you about them airing US programs later in Canada (not the ones on the major networks like NBC or ABC but the ones on specialty channels like HBO or Bravo). We always get Project Runway so far behind and when I already know the winner! I know the new version is going to start airing in the US in mid-July. Maybe this time they will air at the same time (that would be good) .
    I'm not really keen on the rebranding of Prime. They used to show some great older programs like Bewitched, I Dream of Jeanie, Golden Girls (ok, the last one is not that old). And I know there's Dejavu and TvLand but they don't seem to show those programs (and I love Bewitched!). Since the rebranding most of the programs don't interest me. I mean, they're showing The Nanny & Ellen in the afternoons. And not Ellen the tv talk show, but Ellen the middling sitcom that was on in the 1990s. They have been playing Newsradio on the weekends though, which is great. And, hey, the lead was a Canuck. So there you go.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

giz
    I've been meaning to watch Alice, I think. It's had some good reviews, and an interesting premise. Sounds a little like that show (forgot the name) that Claire Danes made her debut on. Me, I always liked Black Harbour. It was so depressing, and even though it could be a bit soapy, there was something about it I liked. It was nice seeing Gerraint Daives in something good for a change, he's very likeable. The problem with me and Canadian tv is twofold; firstly if you blink you miss it, and secondly with the shows that have staying power, they all seem to be on at 8:00 when I'm putting the kids to bed (I"m looking at you, Corner Gas). I am too busy at that time of night to remember to tape them.

Qboots, Rescue Me is on Showcase right now, but I don't know what season it is. I've been trying to watch it, but I'm still not completely sure of the schedule. I love me some Denis Leary. BTW, the Comedy Network is airing a Denis Leary Roast tonight.

I've watched Oz and I think I've seen it all, but in a very helter-skelter way - I think it was only the last couple of seasons I've seen all the way through from beginning to end.

Oh, and I love that the TvTrop network is now running Married With Children reruns. I forgot that it was a damn funny show for the first few seasons. They've started right from the beginning, when the Marci & Steve move in next door to the Bundys.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Great thread idea, Qboots! Like CCL, I don't watch a lot of programming except for Corner Gas and the Trailer Park Boys but I will definitely check out some of the shows you mentioned in your post.

I'm ashamed to say that I haven't been watching any current Canadian programming and I downscaled to basic cable so that I could upgrade to highspeed internet so that Mr. Rattus could download music, so I miss all the great Comedy Network, Bravo and Showcase programming. But my favourite Canadian television show of all time was Seeing Things with Louis Del Grande. In fact, once I get out of here I'm going to do a search to see if it's available on DVD. Does anyone else have a fond remembrance for this show, or is it just me, the current Mr. Rattus and the former Mr. Rattus?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Qboots! Great idea!

I don't have cable, so I'm very VERY limited to Canadian tv. Unfortunately, I've been glued to hockey, no surprises there, and have not kept up with new shows like Alice I think.

I actually enjoyed W5 the other day about the Pursuit of Happiness. Also Just For Laughs and others I have to think about. It's late so I'll get back to you kiddo!

Our Own TV Thread
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post

The program that got me thinking about creating this thread is “Billable Hours” on Showcase. It’s a half hour sitcom about Toronto lawyers and it just cracks me up. There only seem to be 8 episodes and they’ve finished their first run and this week they’ve gone into reruns. It airs on Sunday nights at 9:30, and repeats twice more on Sunday (approximately 11:50 and 3:05) and again on Wednesday nights at 9:30. So if you have some free time in your summer TV schedule, you can still catch the first ep tonight.
    I've only caught two episodes. The one with the boxes of chocolate covered almonds and the one with the parking spot. Both were actually quite funny. I'm impressed by the show. I hope to catch more of them.

I like the new TvTropolis. I never really realized how much I missed Beverly Hills, 90210 till they started right from the beginning again. Man how the first season's opening credits are nothing like they were when they ended and a lot longer than current shows! I also like catching Ellen, it's amazing to see how much she has changed.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane View Post
    Qboots, Rescue Me is on Showcase right now, but I don't know what season it is. I've been trying to watch it, but I'm still not completely sure of the schedule. I love me some Denis Leary. BTW, the Comedy Network is airing a Denis Leary Roast tonight.
    Oh yeah, I love Denis Leary too. I think that roast was a rerun, I'm pretty sure I saw it before. And I think the Rescue Me episodes on Showcase are from season 2. I would imagine they'll eventually start airing the season 3 episodes, but I'm afraid I might not find out about it until they're 2 or 3 episodes in. The Showcase website is incredibly lame and I can't count on it as a reliable source of information regarding the airing of new episodes of any series. If I'm lucky I'll see a commercial announcing season 3 while I'm watching a movie on Showcase. That's usually how I find out about stuff they're airing. Or now, with this thread, maybe a FORTer will be able to alert me.

As far as Canadian content, I don't watch a whole lot of it myself. Although I think it's getting much better than it used to be. I'm starting to lose my bias against it.

And my favorite thing about "Billable Hours" is that they used a Bobby Sherman song in one of the episodes. "Sweet Gingerbread Man".
    Last edited by Qboots; 06-19-2006 at 03:43 PM.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I like Showcase fridays without borders. It cracks me up! Sin Cities is just hilarious - but only the ones with Ashely .. the ones with the dark haired guy are just ??creepy! he's smarmy where as Ashley is an adorable, harmless drunk who will try anything once.

I don't know what I would do without my Canadian TV. I LOVE HGTV - the whole network! WTN, APTN has some good stuff on sometimes. The History channel. I admit we never did watch Prime much and I can't say that I like it's successor any more. just meh.
    During the olympics CBC showed the first season of The L Word - I thought it was a good show but they cut the run before the last 2 episodes were shown and they haven't shown season 2 - not even on WTN.
    Ilike our little cable channels. We got the full run of Wonderfalls even after (FOX killed the series) on 'the bible channel' Vision Tv.
    I'll have to check out Billable Hours. Thanks for the heads up Q
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast