+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Canadian TV

FORT Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel View Post
    Is anyone watching Making the Cut?
    I missed the second episode (was at a hockey game) but watched all of last season and the first one this season. There is a thread on it in the Other Reality Shows forum.

I don't think this was posted before but, Prime Minister Stephen Harper will make a cameo appearance on Corner Gas!!
    Attachment 18649

The episode will air in the spring as part of the new season. It was supposed to be a secret but media got wind of the taping. Surprise, surprise. There's not a whole lot going on in Dog River!

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...0829/20060829/

I also heard that Corner Gas has been picked up by a U.S. network so the Americans can now join in on what's going on.... or what's not
    Last edited by misskitty; 12-20-2006 at 02:10 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Yes misskitty, it has indeed been picked up. It will be aired by WGN. They have an agreement to air 88 episodes over the course of 2 or 3 years. Quite excited. It sounds like, based on the article, it was quite the good deal.

I'm really happy for them. I hope it's the kind of show that translates well across the border, though.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Canadian Sitcom: Allah in the Family
    By ETAN VLESSING

TORONTO (Hollywood Reporter) - "Little Mosque on the Prairie," a Canadian sitcom that debuts Tuesday, depicts immigrant Muslims bumping up against white locals in rural Saskatchewan.

Zarqa Nawaz, creator and writer of the groundbreaking, insists she's an equal-opportunity satirist taking dead-aim at both Muslim and Canadian stereotypes in a post-Sept. 11 world.

"I expect both groups will be wondering if the other finds the show funny," says Nawaz.

There are predictable jokes about Muslim beliefs clashing with Canadian traditions. In one scene, a father wearing a kufi, or a knitted cap worn by devout Muslims, protests that his Canadian-born daughter wearing a revealing tank top looks "like a Protestant."

"Don't you mean prostitute?" the daughter asks.

"No, I meant a Protestant," the father replies.

In another scene, a young man of Middle Eastern origins with a Canadian accent is heard in an airport check-in line telling his mother via cell phone that his father shouldn't think his choosing to stop being a Toronto lawyer to become an Imam in Saskatchewan amounts to career "suicide."

"This is Allah's plan for me," the young man says in passing, before an arresting cop appears suddenly and tells the surprised lawyer that he won't be making that appointment in Paradise.

Nawaz, a British-born Muslim and mother of four who settled on the Prairies with her family a decade ago, downplays the idea that the homegrown comedy may spark widespread controversy.

She insists her comedy springs from a relatively uneventful life in multicultural North America, unlike Europe, for example, where relations between Muslims and the wider Christian community are often a powder keg.

"North America should be the first place where a comedy like this would come about, where Muslims can be comfortable in their own skin and questions of Canadian identity can produce a sitcom," she says.

To ensure it doesn't cause unforeseen offense with "Little Mosque on the Prairie," the government-owned Canadian Broadcasting Corp. (CBC) has hired an independent Muslim-Canadian consultant to comb through the sitcom's creative elements and suggest possible alterations.

Kirstine Layfield, CBC executive director of network programming, says recent preview screenings with select Muslim audiences elicited encouraging results -- laughter.

"Just doing the series is a risk in itself, but one the public broadcaster should take on if we're to help communicate authenticity of living in Canada," Layfield adds.

Mary Darling, one of three executive producers shopping the Canadian comedy stateside, says a U.S. airing may help break down barriers between faith communities.

"It won't do any harm, and maybe it can do some good," she says.

http://news.channels.aol.ca/entertai...03093309990004
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I'll have to check this out, it looks good from the previews.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2193668;
    Canadian Sitcom: Allah in the Family
    By ETAN VLESSING

TORONTO (Hollywood Reporter) - "Little Mosque on the Prairie," a Canadian sitcom that debuts Tuesday, depicts immigrant Muslims bumping up against white locals in rural Saskatchewan.

Zarqa Nawaz, creator and writer of the groundbreaking, insists she's an equal-opportunity satirist taking dead-aim at both Muslim and Canadian stereotypes in a post-Sept. 11 world.

"I expect both groups will be wondering if the other finds the show funny," says Nawaz.

There are predictable jokes about Muslim beliefs clashing with Canadian traditions. In one scene, a father wearing a kufi, or a knitted cap worn by devout Muslims, protests that his Canadian-born daughter wearing a revealing tank top looks "like a Protestant."

"Don't you mean prostitute?" the daughter asks.

"No, I meant a Protestant," the father replies.

In another scene, a young man of Middle Eastern origins with a Canadian accent is heard in an airport check-in line telling his mother via cell phone that his father shouldn't think his choosing to stop being a Toronto lawyer to become an Imam in Saskatchewan amounts to career "suicide."

"This is Allah's plan for me," the young man says in passing, before an arresting cop appears suddenly and tells the surprised lawyer that he won't be making that appointment in Paradise.

Nawaz, a British-born Muslim and mother of four who settled on the Prairies with her family a decade ago, downplays the idea that the homegrown comedy may spark widespread controversy.

She insists her comedy springs from a relatively uneventful life in multicultural North America, unlike Europe, for example, where relations between Muslims and the wider Christian community are often a powder keg.

"North America should be the first place where a comedy like this would come about, where Muslims can be comfortable in their own skin and questions of Canadian identity can produce a sitcom," she says.

To ensure it doesn't cause unforeseen offense with "Little Mosque on the Prairie," the government-owned Canadian Broadcasting Corp. (CBC) has hired an independent Muslim-Canadian consultant to comb through the sitcom's creative elements and suggest possible alterations.

Kirstine Layfield, CBC executive director of network programming, says recent preview screenings with select Muslim audiences elicited encouraging results -- laughter.

"Just doing the series is a risk in itself, but one the public broadcaster should take on if we're to help communicate authenticity of living in Canada," Layfield adds.

Mary Darling, one of three executive producers shopping the Canadian comedy stateside, says a U.S. airing may help break down barriers between faith communities.

"It won't do any harm, and maybe it can do some good," she says.

http://news.channels.aol.ca/entertai...03093309990004
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

It does look good. I don't think anyone would really find it offensive, or at least I'd hope not. If anything, it's giving people a different perspective.

The previews look hilarious.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    I'm going to try to catch it too when it's on. The preview where the muslim women are curling is so funny.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

CCL
    Little Mosque does look really funny (at least from the commercials I've seen). I'll definitely be checking out. Seems like it is getting world-wide attention - I read an article that CNN were doing a bit on the show, and apparently stories have also appeared in The New York Times and on BBC Radio.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

CCL
    Has anyone been watching Little Mosque? The ratings have been very good so I guess somebody's watching. I've watched both episodes and they were pretty good. I quite like the main male character (I don't know what his accent is supposed to be exactly but it's lovely) as well as his feisty daughter. And I like the new imam (he's not bad on the eyes, either!).
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast