+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Canadian TV

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy View Post
    APTN has some good stuff on sometimes.
    I often watch movies on APTN, and I can catch reruns of my all-time favorite Canadian series "North of 60".

Has anybody seen "You Bet Your A$$" on the Comedy Network? Canadian game shows are so lame. The winner gets (wait for it......) $500!!! With such huge prize amounts, they're sure to go broke in no time. The host is funny, but his reading and pronounciation skills are sorely lacking. But I just can't seem to look away.

Speaking of The Comedy Network, does anybody know when they're going to start airing season 10 of "South Park"?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    I'm not really keen on the rebranding of Prime. They used to show some great older programs like Bewitched, I Dream of Jeanie, Golden Girls (ok, the last one is not that old).
    I'm completely with you. I'm so upset that they changed it. The shows that they have on now were never really that successful.

I would watch Golden Girls every single night and now... gone. It was not a step in the right direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    Canadian game shows are so lame
    There was Bumper Stumpers... which was essentially lame pun after lame pun. Then there was Jackpot, that looked it was taped in some guy's basement. My favourite was the announced with the muddled voice, panel - please use the BROWN wallets, the BROWN wallets for this next clue
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

We Canadians are fairly easily shocked, aren't we? Omigod!! CBC is moving the news back an hour! So it will be on at the same time as all the other news!!!!

http://entertainment1.sympatico.msn....etect=&abc=abc

U.S. reality show will bump The National on Tuesdays in Ontario, Quebec

TORONTO (CP) - An American reality show will bump CBC's The National from 10 p.m. to 11 o'clock on Tuesdays in Ontario and Quebec for part of the summer, a development that some critics describe as "shocking and surprising."

The reality show is The One, a U.S. series in which young musicians compete for their chance at a recording contract. CBC plans to launch a Canadian version later in 2006 or early in 2007, and airing the American series is intended to "establish a dedicated audience for a new franchise," said CBC spokesman Jeff Keay.
    "The One is a simulcast that's going to be happening on Tuesday nights between July 18 and Sept. 5," Keay said Tuesday. "That simulcast happens between 9 and 11 in the central Toronto-Quebec time zone, so as a result of that The National will be temporarily moved to 11."

The National, anchored by Peter Mansbridge, will not be affected from Manitoba westward, he said. In Atlantic Canada, the news will be broadcast before the simulcast.

"The view from here is that, given the fact that it is a simulcast, in a perfect world I don't think we would have moved any programs around," Keay said.

"But I guess given the potential value of trying to establish an audience for, frankly what we think is a new and pretty attractive program, we're willing to make this temporary move, recognizing that not everybody will be comfortable with it."

The group Friends of Canadian Broadcasting described the move as "shocking and surprising."

Spokesperson Ian Morrison said it suggests there are things other than hockey that the CBC thinks are more important than the news.

"We think this is kind of a low day for the CBC," he said. "News doesn't stop just because it's July. It strikes me as an attempt to build audience as opposed to serve the public."

Morrison said CBC has a mission that involves explaining Canada to Canadians, and not importing American commercial programming.

Last October, CBC president Robert Rabinovitch told a Commons Heritage committee that "we don't do reality programming. If we only were chasing rating points, we could do reality programming."

But last week as the public broadcaster announced its lineup of future shows, and no less than three new reality-based programs were unveiled: The One; a live quiz show Test the Nation: National IQ Test; and Dragon's Den, in which aspiring entrepreneurs have to pitch their way to financial backing.

At rival CTV, the reality-show search for singing talent, Canadian Idol, has been a consistent ratings winner.

Keay was asked if the Canadian version of The One could also potentially bump Mansbridge and The National down the road.

"I suspect we'd have a little more latitude given that it wouldn't be a simulcast," he replied.
    Well, hockey has always been more important than news. And now reality shows are also. Whatever shall we do?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I'm sure the only one who was shocked and surprised was Sandi Rinaldo.. can the old girl stay up that late?
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    We Canadians are fairly easily shocked, aren't we? Omigod!! CBC is moving the news back an hour! So it will be on at the same time as all the other news!!!!

http://entertainment1.sympatico.msn....etect=&abc=abc

Well, hockey has always been more important than news. And now reality shows are also. Whatever shall we do?
    I am shocked. And surprised. Though, really, it seems they are doing it for rather a stupid reason.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Rats! A Toronto channel started season 2 of "Veronica Mars" last night and I just found out. (Channel 15 - SUN TV.) Oh well, I can catch the second episode tonight. It's airing at 8 pm Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

TLC is starting a new reality show with motivational speakers on Sunday (July 23) at 10 pm. It's called "The Messengers" and there will be 8 episodes.

OLN is airing the first season of "Wanted: Ted or Alive" (with Ted Nugent) beginning Mon. July 24 at 9 pm.

Also Mon. July 24 at 9 pm the CBC is launching a 6-part series called "Northern Town". It's filmed in the Yukon and is about a fictional town near a meteorite crash site.

The Imploding Voice jaggedjunkie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy View Post
    I like Showcase fridays without borders. It cracks me up! Sin Cities is just hilarious - but only the ones with Ashely .. the ones with the dark haired guy are just ??creepy! he's smarmy where as Ashley is an adorable, harmless drunk who will try anything once.
    Oh I love Friday's Without Borders! Bliss, Kink, Sin Cities, Family Business.. all awesome shows, lol.

Yay for Showcase! They're starting season 3 of "Rescue Me" on Tuesday August 29 and season 2 of "Weeds" on Wednesday August 30. 10 pm for both shows.

Another addition to the Better-Late-Than-Never file:

CTV is finally going to air season 6 of The Sopranos. And they'll be doing it rapid-fire. The episodes will air on Aug. 28, 29 & 30, Sept. 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 11, 12, 13 & 14. The timeslot will be 10 pm, and for anyone who's taping them - they usually run a bit longer than an hour, so set those VCR's for 1:15.

Thanks Qboots for the Sopranos info. I didn't realize the scheduling bonanza...yikes. I'm not sure how to be able to watch all the new shows starting and the finales for the current ones. It's a full-time job!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast