+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 192 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171858108 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Heroes on NBC

Not that it matters, but I seem to recall that the cheerleader (Hayden Panettiere) was a blonde when she was on Ally McBeal and Malcolm in the Middle. On Malcolm, her hair was really wavy.

Boy, I had to lay in bed for a while and go through the episode mentally to get things straight in my head. As my husband said "Okay, I'm officially confused and addicted!"

We have to tape this show for a friend who doesn't have cable 'cause we've been talking it up so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post

Besides, comic books are ABOUT archtypes. The difference between a bad comic and a good one is not in how many archtypes it uses, but in what it does with them. The archtypes have to be bold in comics, because two dimensional art doesn't do subtle all that well, nor does it have room for the kind of dialogue a novel has.

But this isn't a comic book. I love comics -- I've been reading all things X-men related since I was in 5th grade. But the fact is, that movies and television are different because they can do subtle stuff. Film is a super-art - it combines everything into it. By giving us two female characters that we've all seen before does irk me.

And I do think that a cocaine addicted stripper could be a hero -- hell we've already got a heroin addicted painter I think it insults the audience a bit to say that we wouldn't be able to buy her as a hero. I personally could. I know I may be the minority, but I think it would be more refreshing to see a stripper/prostitute who is it in for money, or because she enjoys it and doesn't want a real job, rather than a mommy who has to do this awful thing to support her son.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyFishFace View Post
    But this isn't a comic book. I love comics -- I've been reading all things X-men related since I was in 5th grade. But the fact is, that movies and television are different because they can do subtle stuff. Film is a super-art - it combines everything into it.
    But this is a TV show which is conceptualizing and explaining itself in terms of a comic book. The "slimy politician" is an archtype too, as is the tortured artist and the discontent Japanese worker bee. Even the male nurse and the formerly bumbling underachieving cop, might qualify, although they are perhaps a bit less in your face.

What will make the show is what happens to these people. And its not THAT bad in terms of the archtypes, because the cheerleader isn't stereotypically shallow (she makes a concession to shallow bitchyness with her "concession" to talking to the geek in school, but she clearly has deep thoughts some of the time, even if she's no Einstein). And the stripper IS violent in some way, even if its just an alter ego, so she's not the "with a Heart of Gold" stereotype. If you are simply caught up in the fact that they both have blonde hair, that's not that much to go on. Heck, its even possible age-wise that the stripper could be the cheerleader's biological mother if she's early thirties instead of the 20-something we'd usually assume. That WOULD explain a lot, wouldn't it?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

But this is a TV show which is conceptualizing and explaining itself in terms of a comic book. The "slimy politician" is an archtype too, as is the tortured artist and the discontent Japanese worker bee. Even the male nurse and the formerly bumbling underachieving cop, might qualify, although they are perhaps a bit less in your face.

What will make the show is what happens to these people. And its not THAT bad in terms of the archtypes, because the cheerleader isn't stereotypically shallow (she makes a concession to shallow bitchyness with her "concession" to talking to the geek in school, but she clearly has deep thoughts some of the time, even if she's no Einstein). And the stripper IS violent in some way, even if its just an alter ego, so she's not the "with a Heart of Gold" stereotype. If you are simply caught up in the fact that they both have blonde hair, that's not that much to go on. Heck, its even possible age-wise that the stripper could be the cheerleader's biological mother if she's early thirties instead of the 20-something we'd usually assume. That WOULD explain a lot, wouldn't it?
    Very well said Krom.

I remember Hayden from "Remember the Titans" - light brown hair - she was a hoot in that one (coach's daughter)
    and she was blonde in the "Tiger Cruise" just on.

She was the main reason I tuned into Heroes.

Just saw on Sci-fi channel that Heroes will replay Friday nights at 7 pm EST.

Team Renee//Team Sarah// DreamOf1000Cats's Avatar

You know comic books aren't always about archtypes though - and I hesitate to even reply to this because somehow I think that as a fan of the show my criticisms are being taken as slamming the show. Not to mention that no one seems to share my view. Which is fine.

The stripper is violent -- but she isn't in control of it. It happens to her. Poor her, at this point in my opinion, she seems kinda 2D. I KNOW THAT THE SHOW IS COMIC MADE TELEVISION - but at the same time, comics tell stories in that way because they have to. Television doesn't have to, and I don't know why they would choose to tell the story in such a way.

My issues are with the women characters. The X-men have had strong women characters for years. I am sure that these characters will grow on me in time -- or now though it just seems that they didn't really try as hard as they did on the other characters. And though the cheerleader isn't a total brat - she didn't make good on her promise to talk to the kid in front of her friends at school -- which, btw, is a bitchy thing to even say. Use him for the video - and as a favor, you'll talk to him at school.

I am not attacking the show. I like the show. I just think when you have a show with only two female protagonists - you should try a little harder to present something different.

That is my opinion. Which I guess no one else shares. ^_~.

Team Renee//Team Sarah// DreamOf1000Cats's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOf1000Cats View Post
    You know comic books aren't always about archtypes though - and I hesitate to even reply to this because somehow I think that as a fan of the show my criticisms are being taken as slamming the show. Not to mention that no one seems to share my view. Which is fine.

The stripper is violent -- but she isn't in control of it. It happens to her. Poor her, at this point in my opinion, she seems kinda 2D. I KNOW THAT THE SHOW IS COMIC MADE TELEVISION - but at the same time, comics tell stories in that way because they have to. Television doesn't have to, and I don't know why they would choose to tell the story in such a way.

My issues are with the women characters. The X-men have had strong women characters for years. I am sure that these characters will grow on me in time -- or now though it just seems that they didn't really try as hard as they did on the other characters. And though the cheerleader isn't a total brat - she didn't make good on her promise to talk to the kid in front of her friends at school -- which, btw, is a bitchy thing to even say. Use him for the video - and as a favor, you'll talk to him at school.

I am not attacking the show. I like the show. I just think when you have a show with only two female protagonists - you should try a little harder to present something different.

That is my opinion. Which I guess no one else shares. ^_~.

Sorry this is Fishface -- i am just typing this on my partner's labtop while I do HW in the living room.

OKAY, I hate when shows try to show off how creative they are and hook the fans and then do incredibly stupid things. For example, Mohinder Suresh's father dies, he finds someone searching his fathers apartment in India, he is in his taxi in New York and the bad guys find him (with in 4 days of his father' s death) and then he finds someone bugging his apartment, and assumes there is only one bug. This guy doesn't leave, he stays. Can we say target. Can we say stupid. Can we say death wish. The stupidity of this plotline is beyond belief and the writers are severely underestimating the intelligence of their target audience.

The other thing I find way unbelievable is that a comic book artist would publish his actual address and photo in this day of stalkers, just plain crazies and identity theft. Another instance of being incredibly stupid and expecting the audience to accept it.

There was also that stupid special effect of Claire being hit by a football player having her neck broken and it is twisted halfway around. Please, useless waste of time, we already know she is invulnerble.

Last season I had Surface to bash and now I have Heroes.
    Last edited by Bearcata; 10-07-2006 at 06:54 PM.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

+ Reply to Thread