+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Windfall

Windfall

Anyone plan to watch this? Sounds like it could be a good show to pass the summer with.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.nbc.com/Windfall/

From executive producer Laurie McCarthy (“Felicity,” “CSI: Miami”) comes “Windfall,” an hour drama that follows 20 lottery winners after their unexpected good fortune. Each winner's reaction is different and the overwhelming cash windfall presents unexpected marital, ethical, legal – and even criminal problems.

At the center is a close-knit foursome who have known each other since college when the “wrong” spouses were in love. Luke Perry (“Beverly Hills, 90210”) stars as Peter Schaefer, a devoted husband to Nina (Lana Parrilla, “Boomtown”) and father of two. Parrilla finds herself in a complicated relationship with Cameron Walsh, played by Jason Gedrick (“Boomtown”). Sarah Wynter (“24”) plays Cameron's loving but suspicious wife.

A relative stranger to their circle is D.J. Cotrona (“Skin”) as Sean Mathers, who finds that winning the lottery threatens to expose a dark secret in his past. Also, for Damien Cutler (Jon Foster, “The Door in the Floor”), a rebellious teen, winning the cash means he is set free from his parents -- with millions in his pocket. Alice Greczyn (“The Dukes of Hazzard”) stars as Frankie, a 16-year old girl whose separated parents' newfound wealth sets off a marital war.

In addition, Kimberly George (Malinda Williams, "Soul Food") is a 22-year-old single mother whose winning the lottery gives her the opportunity to start a new life and leave the trailer park behind. Rounding out the cast is Jaclyn DeSantis (“Road Trip”), who plays Maggie Hernandez, a nurse who can't wait to spend her winnings.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Money Changes Everything
    Watch what happens to a group of friends when they all go in together and participate in the state lottery and win. Lives will change forever as they quickly learn that money changes everything they ever knew about each other. Relationships will grow and friendships will be torn apart. People's secrets will be revealed and mysteries will be solved. Make sure to catch it from the beginning! Windfall premieres June 8th, 10/9c.

I wonder if they got any of their ideas from real lottery winners. You hear a lot of stories of people that win and then lose it all.

I'm still on the fence with this show. It may come down to when it's on.

It starts tomorrow at 10 pm. Don't know if Thursday at 10 will be it's regular time though.

I plan on watching this show. I usually watch Without a Trace, but they are all repeats now.

I am getting a "What About Brian" vibe from this show though....that is, we are only going to see so many episodes and, if it is popular enough, they may continue it in the fall lineup.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Wow, got a terrible review from our local paper....but...there's not much on but reruns, may try it. I like the concept.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    Anyone plan to watch this? Sounds like it could be a good show to pass the summer with.
    Yup, I'm planning to tune into this show. If I can't win the lottery, I might as well get a glimpse into how miserable life can become for those who do win the lottery. It'll help me appreciate what I have, and perhaps learn a thing or two in case I do win the lottery some day!

It sounds interesting. Variety had this to say, though:

Money changes everything -- except, perhaps, the familiar whiff of stale ensemble drama. Erected around the potentially fertile premise of what happens when an extended group of friends and acquaintances wins a $386-million lottery payday, "Windfall" transforms that notion into an everything-and-the-kitchen-sink melodrama. In a way, the series blends "Dallas" (they had money from the start) with "The Millionaire," an anthology that explored how an unexpected gift would affect different people's lives. Unfortunately, the mostly uninvolving characters leave NBC holding an account that should yield only marginal interest.
    http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117...&cs=1&nid=2562

I'm so disappointed about the poor reviews. I REALLY wanted this to be good. I mean, those documentaries/news reports of lottery winners losing all their cash and having mega problems are soooo interesting (at least to my envious ass).

Our newspaper gave it good reviews

I very rarely pay attention to reviews. Many reviewers expect drama shows to have every line be meaningful and significant and when a show doesn't live up to those standards, they pick apart the show and find more things wrong than right. I like to make up my own mind, so I'll give the show a shot tonight and then decide from there whether to keep watching. Sometimes it takes a few episodes to find out if it's worth it. What I hate is when critics cause people to never tune in at all, numbers are low as a result, and the show gets cancelled. The critics have an "I told you so" attitude when in reality they very well may be the reason the show never stood a chance.

Now after having said all that, I reserve the right to come back in here tomorrow and say the show was crap! But even then, some of us will like it and others won't. I do hope it's good though.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 06-08-2006 at 09:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast