+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Anyone else really enjoying the new version of this? Come on... fess up!

My recommendation is to use Spoiler Tags if you are talking in detail about the 2nd season, which hasn't aired publicly in the U.S., but clear text if you are talking in detail about the current 1st season run on the Sci-Fi Channel.

I've been naughty and seen both, but to avoid spoilering up an initial post, I'll restrict myself to generalities for now.

In my opinion, while the new Doctor Who programs aren't perfect, they are quite superior. The effects are, of course, eons ahead of the old shows, but the big surprise is that the writing also is. It pays tribute to the older shows, it's not a "reboot" which doesn't pretend they didn't happen, but it's tone is completely modern. It's no longer pretending to be a children's show, and yet the trade-off for that is NOT it being more serious, but instead it being more fun. There's a sense of joy in the episodes which I only rarely can recall in any of the older shows, and it works well. Basically, it dodges taking itself too seriously by planting tongue in cheek, while also respecting the old Doctor Who continuity issues--which COULD drive anyone batty if the show wasn't also winking at us about it.

As I think even the most lightly spoilered fan is aware, they are already on the second person to play The Doctor in as many years. This was cause for concern, because the first "new" Doctor (the Ninth in total), Christopher Eccleston, plays the role almost perfectly--bringing a new intensity to the role it never had before. I'll talk more about the Tenth Doctor, David Tennant, in some other spoiler tagged post, but I will say that for those who are seeing Season 1 now and are worried about the change... well... don't be. More another time.

I will say that part of the reason the changeover is so easy is because Billie Piper, who plays the current Doctor Who "Companion", Rose Tyler, is so excellent. I like to think of her as kind of a British version of Mandy Moore--someone who started out with an apparently very silly pop career but who was hiding a really good actress inside of that. Without, of course, Ms. Moore's eventual decent into gradually worse movies. Anyway, it's my contention that a big part of the current show's excellence is not only her casting, but also the fact that show is largely expressed from Rose's point of view--making it much more accessible.

Anyway, anyone else on board the Who train?

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

I'm down with the Doctor. RTD has done a great job reviving the series. I've also seen "The Runaway Bride" christmas special with Catherine Tate (Who I LOVELOVELOVE!). I've seen the first episode of series 3 and I really like Freema Agyeman as Martha Jones. I can't say that it was as good of a kick off as the first series intro to Rose. I found the Jones family dynamic kind of rushed, and well, fake. I've seen that whole phone-reparté thing done so much better (Brothers and Sisters). That said, I'm still very stoked for the new series.

As a side note for Captain Jack Harkness fans, BBCAmerica will be showing Torchwood as part of it's Saturday Sci-Fi line up. While it is somewhat uneven in it's story quality (highs are Small Worlds, Countrycide, Out of Time, and Captain Jack Harkness, in my opinion). I have to say that I still found it thoroughly watchable.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

I started another thread about Dr Who recommending the show. LOVE the new series ( see Avatar left ) Just wish David would use his natural Scots accent as its sublime! Third series is well up to the standard of series 2. Real quality show, attracting great guest stars e.g Zoe Wannamaker, Derek Jacobi, John Simm. Third episode on 14th April ( football overtime permitting )

Torchwood is very different, much darker themes and adult content. Cardiff has never looked so good as I've said before.
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

Fashionista Sandinista Chorita KaBoom's Avatar

Torchwood is very different, much darker themes and adult content. Cardiff has never looked so good as I've said before.
    Yeah, they use the David E. Kelly slow-motion aerial photography trick to make an older city look all cool and modern (he does that in every one of his shows .ie LA Law, Boston Legal, Ally McBeal, etc).
    Last edited by Chorita KaBoom; 04-14-2007 at 09:02 AM.
    there is no energy shortage, there is a shortage of imagination

Oh I LOVE this show! I blame alot of it on one of my online friends, who is obsessed with this show. He has amassed a dalek collection because people assumed he collects them, and keep giving him things. One even gave him a life size dalek costume for halloween one year.

I was so MAD when BBCA didnt show the second part of the season 1 finale on sunday morning. Instead they showed Robin Hood. It made me so sad. I did crack up at the whole reality tv theme, and thought of FORT while I was watching.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Returns on 7/6 on the SCI FI channel at 9/8c

The Doctor is back with a new companion on July 6 on the SCIFI Channel. News courtesy of the June 4 TV Guide.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

The Doctor is back July 6th

Dr Who is back July 6th on the Sci Fi Channel with 3 hrs of episodes that Friday evening. Following Fridays with of course single episodes.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

Doctor Who

So surprised we don't have a thread for this yet! Thought I would get one started before the April 17 premiere on BBC America.

Really looking forward to the new season -- should be very exciting with Matt Smith as the Doctor and Steven Moffat at the helm.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Re: Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Toby;3868641;
    So surprised we don't have a thread for this yet! Thought I would get one started before the April 17 premiere on BBC America.

Really looking forward to the new season -- should be very exciting with Matt Smith as the Doctor and Steven Moffat at the helm.
    My husband has been catching previews non-stop for the new episodes. There is also a cute reference to the old series if anyone wants to be spoiled!

I have been watching the shows for 30 years and as long time Dr. Who fan I am so thrilled with the new series. I am also very excited about Matt Smith. In the previews he shows wonderful promise. And with Moffat (loved Coupling!) at the helm, the show will be even more exciting!
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

Yes please, on my part, I'd like to know if it's the BBC episodes or American episodes that will be discussed openly here. I don't want anything spoiled, personally.

So I won't read back through the thread until someone replies to this - I'll just say, sad about Tennant but the new guy reminds me of him in ways. And it might be nice to see a younger cast, just to see what they will bring to it.

I do love this series. (Never watched the prior seasons though - began with Christopher -? )

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast