+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Like Tree44Likes

Thread: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Re: Doctor Who (2005 and on, version)

Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    Last post on July 2010? I didn't think the last post would be about The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang, but all right.

I thought Pandorica/Big Bang was brilliant--big, rich, bold, envelope-pushing, heartstring-pulling television; in a word, everything that science fiction (and good fiction of any stripe) should be. Karen Gillan gets to deliver the best line of the episode--"I remember you...and you are late for my wedding!" (Arthur Darvill gets the second best: in response to why his newlywed wife is crying, "Because you're happy...probably. Happy Mrs. Rory! Happy, happy, happy!")

The Christmas episode (from three months ago) was very good, not great, but good. I admired Moff's ability to combine themes from Turn of the Screw and The Chronicles of Narnia. And I'm looking forward to what he and his staff have up their sleeves next. Looking at Karen Gillian's Twitter, it seems that Amy and Rory will only be in half this season's episodes.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Yes, Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill are leaving sometime Next series. That said, I think they have shown that we can have two companions - or heck a male companion with the Doctor - so that helps out a lot. Will miss Rory more than Amy, but they both have worked well with this Doctor.

As far as the Christmas special - It was a bit light, and would've liked to have seen more of the workers in the story, it was a nice mix and a few surprises. Perfect for a Christmas Day show - we don't need a "Debby Downer" (SNL reference) type story, such as Tennant's final story being on that day.

That said, I hope future stories for the Doctors don't center around already established Christmas stories. If they're not careful, they'll have to try and figure out how to do a live action version of "A Peanuts Christmas Special."
    phat32 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jadewarlock View Post
    As far as the Christmas special - It was a bit light, and would've liked to have seen more of the workers in the story, it was a nice mix and a few surprises. Perfect for a Christmas Day show - we don't need a "Debby Downer" (SNL reference) type story, such as Tennant's final story being on that day.
    "Oh, children, your father died. In the war. Three months ago." wop wop /debbie downer. Yes, I get the reference. And a good 'un it is, too.

Was it light? Yes, it was. That's the word for what I've been feeling but couldn't put into words. I did, however, enjoy the fighter-pilot husband being guided home. There's something about fighter pilots in wartime trying to get home that gets me every time. (You know, Memphis Belle, The Tuskegee Airmen, even that episode of Amazing Stories that people of a certain age remember.)

In response to your spoiler, I actually keep imagining Cyril and Lily as the new companions, maybe plucked from their timeline a few years down the road. The cerebral, introverted Cyril and the outgoing, brash Lily as a brother-sister team would make interesting companions, imo.

That said, I hope future stories for the Doctors don't center around already established Christmas stories. If they're not careful, they'll have to try and figure out how to do a live action version of "A Peanuts Christmas Special."
    "I never thought she was such a bad little TARDIS. She's not bad at all, really. Maybe she just needs a little love."
    jadewarlock likes this.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Phat - I would worry. Knowing the Doctor - he'd probably decorate the TARDIS in all sorts of decorations and bric-a-brac for Christmas then try to play Schroeder and try his hands at the piano. (Unfortunately he can't be waiting for the Great Pumpkin - since that was Halloween specials.

You do have a good idea in regard to Cyril and Lily - that is a possibility. And you're right -the whole issue regarding mom having to tell the children about dad.... well that moment was a down side, but it changed to the better.

What I found funny though was that Arabella Weir was in this, and she had played a female Doctor in a Big Finish Audio series called "Doctor Who: Unbound." I haven't gotten to hear all of that story, but it was different.

Since I didn't know we had this (or it's been a while), I was one of the lucky ones who has been around for some of the old run of the series stories. The first episode I watched was either "Monster of Peladon" or "Horns of Nimon" (Groan...), and thought it interesting. Unfortunately, my family didn't watch the series often, so it wasn't until I was just out of college I caught a Jon Pertwee story (I think either "Mind of Evil" but I know for sure "Sea Devils" was the first whole story) and was hooked again. I've liked all the portrayals of the Doctor, though I was disappointed that Eccleston has spoken so negatively about the series, which I think has harmed his acting career more than helped it. (You don't want to be overly critical of earlier projects, even total bombs because you will be seen as someone who could be a distraction to your show instead of a benefit, or at least an unbearable co-worker).

Since I didn't know we had this (or it's been a while), I was one of the lucky ones who has been around for some of the old run of the series stories.
    All due respect, I've tried watching some of the older stuff on Netflix and found them all but unwatchable. The New Era stuff takes itself WAY too seriously sometimes but the writing is sharp, the effects are good (er, by cheapo BBC standards), and quite frankly, I think it would be one of the most popular shows in America if most people would just give it a chance. But I digress!

You do have a good idea in regard to Cyril and Lily - that is a possibility.
    Well, I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong...or am I? BBC introduces the Doctor's new companion.

Will be introduced in Christmas 2012 episode...sooo could still be Lily, all grown up? Maybe? I'm reaching?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32 View Post
    All due respect, I've tried watching some of the older stuff on Netflix and found them all but unwatchable. The New Era stuff takes itself WAY too seriously sometimes but the writing is sharp, the effects are good (er, by cheapo BBC standards), and quite frankly, I think it would be one of the most popular shows in America if most people would just give it a chance. But I digress!
    Most stuff from '63-'89 are going to be odd for the newbies because they take the CGI for granted. I think the first CGI image used in "Doctor Who" was the first few scenes in "The Trial of a Timelord" season when the TARDIS is brought to Gallifrey. There are some very good stories in the original run - the stories themselves - and if you overlook the effects, they can be entertaining. Some of my faves are "Terror of the Autons" (Third Doctor), "Talons of Weng Chiang" (Fourth Doctor), and "Remebrance of the Daleks"/"Greatest Show in the Galaxy" (Seventh Doctor).

If Netflix gave you "Horns of Nimon" - I really TRULY can say that your opinion is correct. It and the Pertwee episode "Death of the Daleks" to me are absolutely lead and dull and boring. I mean not even Lalla Ward (Romana - "Nimon") nor Pertwee/Sladen in "Daleks" can save the horrid writing.

Well, I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong...or am I? BBC introduces the Doctor's new companion.

Will be introduced in Christmas 2012 episode...sooo could still be Lily, all grown up? Maybe? I'm reaching?
    Who knows? Given the description it's a possibility, but there have also been discussion that she is Jenny's next incarnation, she is Romana (She is in e-space based on the actual series (Stories - "Full Circle" through "Warrior's Gate", and there hasn't been - at least to my knowledge - an acknowledgement that Romana was killed in the Time War - which would be out of e-space).

As long as she is not cut from a similar cloth as any of the other companions (tried with Martha, and though I think Freema was a good companion, they tried to make her another Rose and it hurt her companion), I'll be happy.

I'm a fan of the old series as well as the new. I grew up with the old series... Sunday nights on PBS staying up late to watch the Doctor Who. God forbid there was a pledge drive and they would not show it until so late! And the old show had the greatest companion of all, Sarah Jane Smith.
    "To err is human, to arr is a pirate"

FORT Fogey

Yeah, Doctor Who is back! It was so sad that girl was a Dalek, but I think we all saw that one coming Pretty cool that she erased him from their memory.

I'm curious as to how they're going to work things, since
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Oswin is the new companion. It was a total surprise to see her this early in the season, since she's not supposed to appear until Christmas. Will she be human? A Dalek? A double? I can't wait to see how they explain it. I really liked her though. As much as I'm going to miss Amy and Rory, I think Oswin will be really good too.

All of the Dalek's chanting "'Doctor,' who?" = excellent!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    Yeah, Doctor Who is back! It was so sad that girl was a Dalek, but I think we all saw that one coming Pretty cool that she erased him from their memory.
    I thought she would be a Dalek/person like some of the others or on another planet. I for one didn't see that coming!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical View Post
    I'm curious as to how they're going to work things, since
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Oswin is the new companion. It was a total surprise to see her this early in the season, since she's not supposed to appear until Christmas. Will she be human? A Dalek? A double? I can't wait to see how they explain it. I really liked her though. As much as I'm going to miss Amy and Rory, I think Oswin will be really good too.

All of the Dalek's chanting "'Doctor,' who?" = excellent!
    That was amazing! Loved it, just like the season finale before....

+ Reply to Thread